Mitchell's Creek Sunny corner

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys was out at Sunny
Corner on the weekend for a bit a look around a couple of different areas and i must say im disgusted with the amount of rubbish thats been left out there by people now im not saying it's just us prospectors that are doing it but it doesn't look good on us with holes that aren't filled in, banks that are being undercut by people digging into them and the amount of empty drink bottles, cans, plastic bags, containers and glass that is being left around the area i managed to fit 3 full garbage bags into the outlander to bring home woth woth home from along the section of creek that I was working and there was still more there hopefully ill be able to clean that up in the next couple of weeks when im.there.
But guys it shouldn't just be up to one person to clean up with everyone if you can manage to grab even a bucket of rubbish to take out of an area your in even if it's not yours can you please try its really disappointing that we have had our highbanker band because of the "damage" they cause and we are fighting to be able to use them again but this kind of thing is not helping our cause... enough of a rant about the bad stuff... I left sydney at 1130 which is late for me i like to get out there at the crack of dawn but needed a sleep in and to some things around the house.. I work a few places on a straight section of creek until I came across a spot with a crevice that looked promising it produced some small specks in every oan of material so i kept working it...it was getting late but i kept looking at a nearby crevice but i couldn't get into it even with the longest tools i had it was just too tight and too deep so I cracked a section of the bedrock to expose the crevice and it produced the most amount of gold i"'ve seen come from one crevice out there and the biggest bits i"'ve found so far from sunny corner..
I am going to head out in a couple of weeks to expose the crevice again after filling it back in before I left and try clean the rest of it out hopefully it can produce some more bits like the ones in the photos below all in all I haven't weighed it as I don't have scales but for an hours work on this hole its a great start to 2019.
Just goes to show that what I once heard is true the gold is there you just need to but in the hard work to find it...

1546900888_20190106_190532.jpg
1546900930_20190106_190543.jpg
1546900964_20190106_224507.jpg

Nice work mate.The gold gods smiled upon you for cleaning up the creek.Awesome gold.

Nice gold! And yes, I think the gold gods smiled on you for cleaning up the disgusting pigs' mess.

Andrew from Adventure Gold was also saying in his last video that he was disgusted by the amount of trash left at areas where he had prospected, and was disheartened that his YouTube videos may have attributed to these spots being targeted by a lot of prospectors going there when they see he gets good gold there. So he's no longer going to say where he's prospecting to stop this sort of thing happening at his favourite spots. Sunny Corner being one of them. Once again, the few spoil it for all the others...

This issue is a double-edged sword. Showing pictures of gold being found, and saying where it was found, is fantastic for the forum members to keep abreast of where the gold is, and to congratulate our forum friends for the great find. But it also leads a lot of people to that spot to try their luck, who are not conscientious prospectors who understand the issues we face with this kind of abuse of gold bearing creeks/areas, and trash them. I despair that the amount of these people is outweighing the ones who would never leave trash there, and are cleaning up these pig's mess when we go prospecting.

So what's the answer forum friends? Do we not say the location, or just put it in a 'general area' way, and if forum members want to know where it was, they can PM the person who posted the pic and they tell them privately, so the 'visitors' to this site aren't being given the names of these spots to trash?

This problem is getting worse, and I'm afraid Andrew was possibly right, and this gold finding information being released to everyone is attributing to the problem. It's so sad that it's come to this, and I get why he's so frustrated and disheartened by it (and cleaning up a lot of trash everywhere he goes).

Can we do something on this forum to help stop this?

I'm with you on that Megsy, This is one reason I don't put photo's up of what I find.
I am lucky with the area's I work at not to many people go their so it is clean all the time.
Detecting is another matter I find so many holes not covered in.

Some great pieces of gold there. I have never been into Sunny Corner, but grew up in that area . We are in Qld now but go back to Sofala and Hillend twice a year.

No matter what it is, fishing, shooting or people driving along the highway. Pigs are just that... PIGS!
I wont separate non-members from members on the opion of how people treat the land.
Im sure there is good and bad in both sides.
A lot of villages out my way havd waste transfer stations ( skip bins for locals) unmanned.
We use them on our way back.
Mudgees rubbish tip on Hil End rd is FREE!
Ment for residents,

People who do YouTube videos and name a particular gold bearing area are to blame. Here's an example, Adventure Gold.
Why would you name an area for goodness sake? I'm lost for words.

Trusted said:
People who do YouTube videos and name a particular gold bearing area are to blame. Here's an example, Adventure Gold.
Why would you name an area for goodness sake? I'm lost for words.
Ease up there it mate!
Sunny corner, theTuron are no secrets of gold!
Andrew made these videos wth best interests and intentions.
To blame him for rubbish left behind from scumbags is simply wrong to do.
Whether he gave a location away or not, still leaves us with the problem of the scumbags who prospect.

Same with some fishermen that camp by the river and leave a mess, and take undersize fish etc.
Would you be sayig the same about Rex Hunt or ET for promoting fishing and locations..?
Same thing hey.
How about blaming Doug Stone for printing a gold MAP book?

How can you compare fishing to gold.

Adventure Gold tells everyone about the location and everyone goes there and thrashes the place. Adventure Gold tells everyone of another gold location and everyone goes there too and thrashes the place as well.

People buy Doug stones maps and have to do thier research and choose a location, as many as thousands of locations, so you cannot compare between fishing and gold and Doug Stones maps.

Trusted said:
How can you compare fishing to gold.

Adventure Gold tells everyone about the location and everyone goes there and thrashes the place. Adventure Gold tells everyone of another gold location and everyone goes there too and thrashes the place as well.

People buy Doug stones maps and have to do thier research and choose a location, as many as thousands of locations, so you cannot compare between fishing and gold and Doug Stones maps.
People go fishing camping and some do the wrong and trash the place.
If you think these places he goes are secrete unknown places, your way off the facts.
So are saying that all the people who buy the map book NEVER throw rubbish on the ground and it is only youtubers doing this?
Because the map buyers are researchers (an exempt breed of people who dont litter

You are reading and saying it all wrong, misinterpreted and twisting the meaning of what I've said.

Adventure Gold has good YouTube videos that are very informative, but why give away a location?

There are heaps of places one can camp and fish at in the bush.
Most take their rubbish with them. But some dont.
Exactly the same with prospectors, and it started 160 years before Adventure Gold had been around.
Rex Hunt and ET gave away exact locations for all to see and enjoy.
If a fisherman leaves crap behind, you simply cant blame them for it.
Thats how I compare the two groups of hobbies.
So it can be compared.
There are good and bad in both hobbies.
FACT!Regardless of how much research they have aquired.

But at the same Time I do preferto have my own space when out camping/prospeting..
I dont want to be in a tent city!
Im sure many agree unless it's a meet up.
Talking of mess.... Gunter its your turn to wash up next time! :lol:
Just found the camp oven from last trip ! :poop:

All good Trusted. I know where you are coming from.
But in life we will never escape scumbags. Fishing, prospecting, work etc.
We all want to go some place that has a nice bit of gold for us.
Irrelevant of how the knowledge of an area is found....
Pristine bush with no rubbish gives it so much more appeal.
I might ruffle a feathers with the fact I actually like seeing holes.... BIG DEEP HOLES! HA.
but not recent ones. Gold rush era.
Like walking through a museum!
You can reach down and pick a rock off a mullockheap, chances are it was put there 170years ago, untouched since, by a man who had the same passion as you!
And when you reach for a cold beer in 40deg heat out of the Engel...
Then you think WOW, TOUGHER THAN ME!