Caravan electric cable

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all I have a 1977 franklin van . Can't find a cable (15 amp) to fit the van connection , the lip on the plug won't let it fit in. Is it ok to cut the lip off? Tried Bunnings, J car , no help. Thanks all for any help Bob

Maybe supply a photo of what you are talking about. :)
One word of warning.
Don't cut corners when dealing with heavy cabling.

I have moved this to the right area. :) :)

I am sure that I have got one "fairly" recently, but that may have been just a 15A socket to replace a faulty one on a lead.

I believe that it was a Clipsal part number 438/15, as you may see on page 8 of the attached link to a Clipsal catalogue.

http://updates.clipsal.com/clipsalonline/files/brochures/a0000123.pdf

I do Test & Tag and if I find a lead socket that has been "modified" by cutting off the shroud, or a plug that has the earth pin filed down, then I am required to reject that lead.

Rob P

143S15 Is the Caravan 15A plug The HPM Caravan lead has a 15A extra heavy duty cable and plug socket, designed for caravan and campsites, or high power appliances.

Bunnings sell 15A cable:
3 x 1.5mm flexible extra heavy duty cable
Wide blade earth terminal for 15A outlets
15A clear moulded plug and socket for easy safety inspection
Extra heavy duty 15A cable is designed to withstand the most rugged applications. Heavier gauge conductors reduce voltage drop
Ideal for caravan and campsites, or high power appliances

In essence no.
The house hold power outlets are 10 amp only.
If you want to do so, You have to have
a whole circuit wired in with a 15 amp outlet.
It is dangerous and illegal to circumvent this
in any way.

Thanks Jaros I bought one of them from Bunnings . Would not plug into the van . The male conection on the van is flat,the female is for a rised male ( this is not a joke). So went bake to bunnings and they told me to cut the lip off the female part then it would work. J car told me the same. When i learn how to put photos up i will . thanks Bob\

DO NO DO THAT!!

Jaros said:
Bunnings sell 15A cable:
3 x 1.5mm flexible extra heavy duty cable
Wide blade earth terminal for 15A outlets
15A clear moulded plug and socket for easy safety inspection
Extra heavy duty 15A cable is designed to withstand the most rugged applications. Heavier gauge conductors reduce voltage drop
Ideal for caravan and campsites, or high power appliances

1.5mm seems a bit small, it's the size normally used for lighting circuits around the house, not for power, surely a 15A lead would need to be 2.5mm or bigger?

Leafs said:
Thanks Jaros I bought one of them from Bunnings . Would not plug into the van . The male conection on the van is flat,the female is for a rised male ( this is not a joke). So went bake to bunnings and they told me to cut the lip off the female part then it would work. J car told me the same. When i learn how to put photos up i will . thanks Bob

I think I know what you're referring to, a rim around the female section that creates a kind of cup. Yes, needs to be flat so I'd carefully trim it off, otherwise buy a 15A clipsal end and replace the one on the lead, then get is tagged, if I remember rightly the clipsal sockets for retro fitting don't have the rim.

Dihusky You got it ! I was hoping I could find an extension cord that was made for the job. Now how do I get it tagged ?

Leafs said:
Dihusky You got it ! I was hoping I could find an extension cord that was made for the job. Now how do I get it tagged ?

Any sparky can test and tag, if you or a neighbour has got one doing some work they should do it for a 6 pack.

Dihusky said:
Leafs said:

Any sparky can test and tag, if you or a neighbour has got one doing some work they should do it for a 6 pack.

Not every sparky will do it though, and many have a hefty callout fee that would just about break the bank. But one of the smaller dedicated Test & Tag services are likely to do it for a fraction of what a sparky may charge. As 7.62 Marksman said, (except I would do it for free), if you were able to bring it to my place. I am in eastern suburbs of Melbourne so if close, send me a message to arrange the place and time.

By the way Goody2shoes, I am not sure how you planned to use the Amphibian to get around the need for a 15A lead socket without a shroud that is needed in this case.

Rob P.

You can use this IF you wish to plug into the house power,

That is all I ment by it........

Ampfibian RV Plus 15A to 10A Waterproof Converter Adapter RCD

:/

The lip not only serves as a weather proof cover.
It stops the pins from being slightly exposed when
the plug backs out a bit.
On some plugs you can see some black insulation
on the back of the pins.

The converter Goody talks about is a good one.
Not only does it convert the plugs around,
It is fitted with a safety cut out if you exceed the 10
amp rating.

A lot of folk's use a "Cheater "
Dangerous and illegal.

Tathradj said:
The lip not only serves as a weather proof cover.
It stops the pins from being slightly exposed when
the plug backs out a bit.
On some plugs you can see some black insulation
on the back of the pins.

The converter Goody talks about is a good one.
Not only does it convert the plugs around,
It is fitted with a safety cut out if you exceed the 10
amp rating.

A lot of folk's use a "Cheater "
Dangerous and illegal.

For the guys tempted to cut off the lip , as mentioned above it was introduced because of electrocutions caused by the male plug pulling out a few millimetres from the female exposing the live pins , then if a bit of sheet metal or bit of wire fell into that gap you get a live connection that burns your ass and any other body parts attached to it .

I saw it happen to some roofers 25 years ago , they had wire mesh spread over roof purlins and got zapped when the extension lead plug gapped apart and touched the wire. It wasnt only the zap that killed him but the 10 metre fall to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts