Bondi Beach Christmas woes.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In 2003 on the night of the 25th of December I detected into the wee hours with my near new Minelab Explorer. I found over $300 in coins keys and phones. (phones were returned to owners with no thanks from them)
Fast forward to 2018 the night of the 25th of December and I thought with the new Nox800 I would reap the whirlwind. lol
Well it seems like the digital age is well upon us and the cashless society is in full swing. The Beach cleaner told me there had been that many people that day you could hardly see the sand. Well,,,,,,they weren't carrying cash thats for sure. I picked up over 150 bottle tops (as these new bottle tops register the same as a $1 and 2.) and only $8.95 in coins. 4 of those coins being old beach coins heavily salt patina. 1 set of keys which were handed in.
The council chap said there was only 1 other detector operator on the beach and he must have been riding a bicycle as he was that fast I could not catch him for a chat.
So sad to say it looks like coins are on the way out and sites will not be replenished.

Thats good to know Heatho.
I also had the same result at Cronulla and Brighton.. There was no signs of other detectorists there either,

savage bitter said:
there was a show on tv and bondi beach was in a few camera shots and there was about 5 people detecting as well as people offering detector services for lost items so u may have to get there before them

I would like to know how they discriminate against the new bottle tops that register the same as the $1-2. Or maybe they don't pick them up and bin them, just leave them there and go on. :(

goldtrapper said:
savage bitter said:
there was a show on tv and bondi beach was in a few camera shots and there was about 5 people detecting as well as people offering detector services for lost items so u may have to get there before them

I would like to know how they discriminate against the new bottle tops that register the same as the $1-2. Or maybe they don't pick them up and bin them, just leave them there and go on. :(
I can hear a difference with my nox 800 over a bottle cap and coin but every now and then I get a signal that I am not 100 % sure on and ends up a cap pull tabs I get a double type of sound but in sand I would dig every hit easy diggin :Y:

goldtrapper said:
savage bitter said:

leaving behind other peoples bottles tops and there is plenty gives you something to dig maintaining hope of something better plus the council's tractor beach cleaner will scoop them up anyway

personally I don't get hung up anymore about people leaving heaps of shite on the beach you have to pick your battles and i cannot win that one

but what i can say is this,working longer,harder and more often than the competition with the best gear will always put you at the front matter where you detect

yes the beach is a popular spot because it is easy plus a great place to be,just work harder if time allows :8

savage bitter said:
goldtrapper said:
savage bitter said:

I can hear a difference with my nox 800 over a bottle cap and coin but every now and then I get a signal that I am not 100 % sure on and ends up a cap pull tabs I get a double type of sound but in sand I would dig every hit easy diggin :Y:

the 3030 makes bottle tops and coins different. the numbers may come up the same, but the sound is more shrill, less solid sounding. sometimes money comes up as bottle tops in the numbers, but sounds like money. I did 1/2 a park today that I did about 2 years ago. got $40 then, $24 today. most beaches I do, I find $10 to $15.

I don't dig up what I know is junk.

yep said:
goldtrapper said:
savage bitter said:

leaving behind other peoples bottles tops and there is plenty gives you something to dig maintaining hope of something better plus the council's tractor beach cleaner will scoop them up anyway

The council tractor operator said the same about the "magnet" to pick up the bottle tops. Well it sure does not at Bondi. I followed his tracks for an hour and picked up heaps. I think these newest fashion beer bottle tops are an alloy mixture not plain steel like the old ones hence registering 21 on the nox.

The way I discrim out beer caps with the Nox is to switch briefly to 5khz, most coins and jewellery will stay the same tone and TID where as most beer caps will go up into the high 20's or low 30's. Most beer caps won't give a stable target ID either and will jump between tones. Though in saying that some brands are much more difficult and won't react that way but you'll still dig a lot less of them.

The CTX discrims out beer caps very well, I only dig 2 or 3 each session.

It's sounding more and more like the Ctx 30 30 is the modern upgrade of the explorer. I am seriously considering one.
I even saw one on the Detectorists last night. :)

I am getting worn out and old and grumpy :)

Only been for a couple of swings of recent times to a beach or 2 and all to test repairs...

A: Beach is reasonable clean of all junk but a few good deep targets left = Nox users

B: Beach has a more than a few bottle tops and bobby pins and other junk / few if any good targets = Bloody CTX3030 / Excalibur cherry pickers :)

C: Beach is clean = NOX / CTX3030 / Excalibur users

I think I will start to focus on the deeper water - Many do not like getting their middle bits wet - so cherry pick that and leave the bottle tops to button pushers :)

Did some soft-fall in a play ground and scored a couple of dollars and a deep 50c - left the 5c and 10c = some one will think they are on the money.

1: Coin is becoming a bit more scarce and so much tap and go / pay wave etc

2: Soooooo many more people out there swinging the common places that 101 others also hit

3: Think outside the square :)

goldtrapper said:
It's sounding more and more like the Ctx 30 30 is the modern upgrade of the explorer. I am seriously considering one.
I even saw one on the Detectorists last night. :)

CTX is pretty much the best beach detector money can buy.

Beaches are so packed around here today that I might even head out for a swing late this arvo when people start leaving, will just have to decide which one to hit, decisions decisions... :p

The way I check if its a bottle top on the nox800 on the beach in beach 1 or 2 is by putting it in all metal then pulling back the coil while swinging towards the tip. If its a bottle top the pitch will drop to a negative ferrous tone. Sometimes I'll dig it up to make sure, but its usually a bottle top. This doesn't work if its deep.

Has anyone tried a 5000 on relic mode and gone for coins?

I live close to Cronulla and thinking about having a go

Latest posts