Outback/bush internet and TV systems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI for those not as savvy,

FAT32 - Although it has an 8TB disk limitation, which in just about every case we plebs use a hard drive is plenty big enough, it has a 4GB file size limitation. If you are transferring DVDs of longer movies to a memory stick or drive and it's bigger than 4GB it won't read.

EXFAT does not have these limitations, but you need to know if your TV or other device will read that file format.

I also remember some devices I've used in the past might have a limitation on the size of the storage it will read. If it does, a work around can be to partition the drive into as many partitions below that limit as the drive will give.

I've been on the road for about 8 months, and rely on a solid internet connection (I'm a web designer, and am working on the road). I've gone through a couple of units, but the best setup so far is a Netgear Nighthawk modem, then I have a directional antenna, on a 7m extendable pole for when the signal is weak.

Ah and for tv, plug a usb into the Netgear full of movies, and steam over your wifi to an Apple TV unit ;)

xkitr said:
I've been on the road for about 8 months, and rely on a solid internet connection (I'm a web designer, and am working on the road). I've gone through a couple of units, but the best setup so far is a Netgear Nighthawk modem, then I have a directional antenna, on a 7m extendable pole for when the signal is weak.

Intrigued, just had a look and there are a bunch of different Nighthawks. So how does it work, do you look for unsecured networks or are you always in a Caravan park where they provide WiFi?

I have some left over WiFi antennas from a take out at work, most are non-directional and anything up to 1.2m long, think there is a directional antenna as well, these the sort of things I'm looking for or are these purely transmit and not receive?

Dihusky said:
Intrigued, just had a look and there are a bunch of different Nighthawks. So how does it work, do you look for unsecured networks or are you always in a Caravan park where they provide WiFi?

I have some left over WiFi antennas from a take out at work, most are non-directional and anything up to 1.2m long, think there is a directional antenna as well, these the sort of things I'm looking for or are these purely transmit and not receive?

The wifi/3g modem xkitr is referring to is probably this one https://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/mobile-broadband/mobilerouters/M2.aspx as it has the capability to have external antenna.
When I'm out bush and reception is a bit sketchy, I put my 3g modem in a sock connected with string and throw it over a branch close by and cnnect to it wirelessly. works great until the battery goes flat :) or the sock gets caught in the branch :argh:

You can also set your android phone (dunno about iThings) to be a hotspot and throw it up the tree as well :)

Antennas, unless they're fitted with extra amplifying electronics are generally capable of both transmit and receive.

Reading through the posts on this thread has been good.
Thanks every one ..

We have a 12 volt TV with usb , so I am able to load movies onto a portable hard drive we have and watch movies etc when we go out bush.
The digger wants to watch some free to air shows and I wouldnt mind being able to watch the news.
I am thinking since we have a camper trailer, we would be best to use a portable digital antenna.
Something small easy to install and can be stored away when not in use or travelling.
Any recommendations?
:perfect:

Manpa said:
Sorry, gave you a bum steer, this is the one we have.
https://www.foldawayantenna.com.au/
Thanks Manpa
Looks good.
A little bit pricey at $285 and I have to think about where I would mount it , once we set up the camper trailer .
Not many surfaces on my trailer .. where i could mount it.
I imagined the old style rabbit ears that I could sit some where ;)

But I do like that this one is made of pvc, it has the cable contained with in the tubes and it can fold away for storage.
Plus it has a booster, which I never thought about.
:Y:

I made an L shape bracket which I screw to the ground below my drawbar and have a pvc clip mounted on the side of my battery box. Im in a soft floor camper so not to many places to mount either. If you want pics let me know and Ill take a few in the next week and post them for you.

Thanks Manpa
The price is going to be the sticking point I recon
I wonder if i can make one from pvc pipe and some coax cable
Then just source a 12 volt booster from some where ??

Or maybe just get some rabbit ears from the opp shop and stick them on a length of pvc pipe ?

Something to think about

nucopia said:
Thanks every one ..

We have a 12 volt TV with usb , so I am able to load movies onto a portable hard drive we have and watch movies etc when we go out bush.
The digger wants to watch some free to air shows and I wouldnt mind being able to watch the news.
I am thinking since we have a camper trailer, we would be best to use a portable digital antenna.
Something small easy to install and can be stored away when not in use or travelling.
Any recommendations?

Do a search for diy dipole antena , coz that's what the "Happy Wanderer" is

nucopia said:
Thanks every one ..

Any recommendations?
I paid about 120 dollars on a digital antenna from jcar its the biggest waste of money went to bribie island in the camper didn't work you almost have to see the tv towers for it to work around the bush not a chance
other campers with tv all say 3=5hundred dollars for a antenna

Pics as promised
1577484591_31a52754-e319-493b-86a5-330bbf0e486c.jpg

1577484618_40474148-6c5e-418f-ae0b-810db3139ea4.jpg

1577484655_88fc71d7-f808-457b-9d8b-0528577f0be4.jpg