Outback/bush internet and TV systems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goody2shoes said:
The TV has a USB port,

So if I had movies on a USB stick that means I can watch movies?

Am I on the right track with this?

Goody :)

Maybe, depends on the TV and what size memory stick it will take, and
what formats it supports:
IE mkv, avi, divx, xvid, 264 etc, there are many.

I would Mackka .

But I don't have a laptop, so can not ,

I only have my mobile phone,

Goody

goody2shoes said:
I would Mackka .

But I don't have a laptop, so can not ,

I only have my mobile phone,

Goody

Try plugging your phone into the TV via a USB cable then choose the 'storage' option if it appears. If you have the movies downloaded to your phone then you should be able to play them on your TV.
You just have to find what folder they are stored in on your phone.

Thank you diggit,

But I don't have any on my phone as my phone is full of other stuff,

Its OK... I like my own company,

when we had our last caravan we had an Oyster sat dish and a Foxtel box. When it worked it was great but I didn't take the time to learn it enough to warrant it and sold it. Paid 5K for it and sold it for 800 bucks to get rid of it.
Time over I would keep it for sure. I remember sitting out the back of Cue WA and watching my Bullies in the AFL with another bulldog supporter Grecky and then watching the news !! easy as Pie. The sat dish either self located and worked or it sooked and went round and round for hours.
I have a sat phone for any telephone needs.

GT :)

I am dumb-founded!!
This site, is like a mens shed, Country womens or what ever.....
And before you ask, I'll do it my self!!!!
Good fortune friends!

goody2shoes said:
The TV has a USB port,

So if I had movies on a USB stick that means I can watch movies?

Am I on the right track with this?

That will depend on what file format the movies are and if your TV will play that format. i.e. earlier model TVs will play MP2 but not MP4, not to mention the various Codecs within each file format.

Best thing is to start each movie on your TV if it works great, if not you need to get a video converter program to change the format till it does.

Nothing worse than going on a trip (like I did a while back in my previous caravan) and finding out your TV don't play MP4. My current TV does :)

Trash said:
If you really want to watch TV , as mentioned VAST is the go , you can get a package with a portable dish , vast box for $700

You buy a card for vast about $30 a year

In WA , Vast is different in that you have to buy a separate card to work in WA .

Not sure that's correct, I bought a Satking 12VDC system last year (to replace my 240VAC oldie) it came with the VAST card as part of the package as it's locked to the set top box. There's no further ongoing cost per year. I can't use someone else's card in my Satking and nobody can use my card in their set top box.

I also believe that VAST is available nationally on the same card. Although nowadays they ask, as a traveller, where you intend going. It may be that to get W.A. channels you need to register for that area.

I bought the TV around 6 months a go,

Its TV , DVD combo

I only had a good look at it today,

Like I said it has a USB port and it has other ports as well,

So I am hoping that it will do the job,

I can not afford to buy a laptop or a tablet at the moment,

I don't no how to put movies or music on to a USB stick,

I will buy some DVDs to use for now.

Thank you everyone for your advice

Cheer's Goody :)

VAST looks to be a good option and then transfer all our DVDs to an SSD so it can handle being bounced around, recon a 500Gig one should hold a few, don't know what Attenborough's Life on Earth or Blue Planet might need in space but recon it could be a fair bit. Probably take as long to transfer as it does to watch, but then that's something I haven't tried doing yet, plus need to get past the copy protection as well.

Something for a rainy day (when it comes) as an alternative to cutting stones.

Thanks for the input guys, so valuable comments. :Y:

Initially used the Vast system with portable dish on tripod, and digital sat finder (marrage saver), worked fine but can't have trees between dish and satellite. Tip, if you go this way buy the bigger dish as better getting signal. There is sat finder ap you can download for your phone and I think wiki amps may have ap for finding satellite.
Had some good fortune last year and purchased new caravan and had them instal auto Sat King system. Still uses Vast but all I need to do is push one button, dish raises and automatically searches and lock on. Price was $6000; there are cheaper versions around but these had good reviews.Still have Winguard tv anntena for when in towns. TV has cd disc in the side. Any Q's message me.
Still do more reading through book exchange than tv. Mainly use to for sport and MotoGP.
No problems with reception anywhere across Australia.

I have 5 meter extension antenna with an inter changerble patch lead that can be plugged into various dongles. It fits my telstra mobile hotspot thigo and works well. This unit folds down to about 1metre x 60mm and can pull in very border line signals
We used it in Porcipine Gorge out from Hughendon with great success were there was no apparent phone/wifi signal
I'll sell it for $100-00, it's in excellent condition, and I can supply photos if you're interested

xcvator said:
I have 5 meter extension antenna with an inter changerble patch lead that can be plugged into various dongles. It fits my telstra mobile hotspot thigo and works well. This unit folds down to about 1metre x 60mm and can pull in very border line signals
We used it in Porcipine Gorge out from Hughendon with great success were there was no apparent phone/wifi signal
I'll sell it for $100-00, it's in excellent condition, and I can supply photos if you're interested

Certainly interested in finding out more, thanks

Latest posts