12v DC petrol generator

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with both of you!
Im happy to see a good debate!
Sometimes I even sway the other way with decent facts.
But keep any debate respectful..... and me.. im happy with that! :perfect:

Thank You Savage.
We us Mods are rather lenient when it comes to
question time against Admin.
Just so over it I can tell you. ]:D

There are small lpg gensets that run on LPG.
Same fittings as the gas bottle you run your barby off.
They are based on a Bosch Alternator and put out quite
a fair wack of amperage.
Voltage out put is adjustable.
AFAIK, They are well under $1000.00
I am going to build one shortly out of my rather sad Thornado
Water pump.
Petrol only but I will be more than happy with what it can do.

I use to use a small 650 generator and it had a 12v out put of 8.3amps at about 13.8+/-, I am after another one but the only one I found over here is a 2200peak/2000 cont, that has a 8.3amp charger outlet, all the smaller ones are 4 and 5 amp which is like watching grass grow, the small 1200w/1100cont, has a 3L tank and will Run at 3/4 load: 5.5 hours and in the Eco mode will run up to 10 to 12 hours but it only has a 4 amp 12v/13.8 supply.

Redfin said:
ctxkid said:
Redfin said:
I really hope anyone looking for advice on agm battery percentages does not happen on this thread.
Just checked mine. 12.5.
Very happy as I know not to discharge below 50% (12.01)
how old and what is the battery/s

Every AGM, new or old.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/232/1544952828_battery.jpg

in reality an agm can give 50% of rated capacity , so 12.5 is flat :Y: and requires immediate charging :Y:

Nightjar said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvLsyH6i2Kk

Used one of these for years, 5 1/2 hours on a tank of fuel (2 litres?)
Made up a device (Black box) to run my "old yella" Engel on 240V while the DC outlet was topping up the battery. When the genny ran out of petrol it automatically swapped to running the fridge on 12V. Could stay away from camp all day and not worry about the fridge keeping cold. ****This was before portable solar panels***

Made a mistake at a caravan & camping show telling an Engel engineer about it. You guessed it, the next model of Engel that came out had auto change over built in.
If I'd patented that idea would now be a :cool: :money: millionaire.
Such is life.......
i have one , they are awesome :perfect: :clap: bit hard to find these days :(

Any battery can give almost 100% of it's rated capacity, however this affects it's cycle life. The simple rule is the more you use, the less times you can do it. Running an AGM to "Flat" will very quickly cause it to become a "boat anchor"

1545608943_cyclelife.jpg

One thing not commonly known is that running approx. 5% of capacity gives a similar cycle life to that of 50%. So it's a "balancing act" re depth of cycle (DOC).

The common accepted methodology is if you are using your battery periodically i.e. 3-5 trips a year for a 2-3 weeks at a time, up to 50% cycle is the most economical. However if you are out there full time all day every day, then around 25% DOC is better. Regardless a battery monitor is the only way of effectively knowing what you use.

The following chart shows that a battery at 12.5V is actually at 80% charge.

1545609374_battery-state-of-charge.jpg

Here's a good source of info if you want a read...

https://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/deep-cycle-battery-guide/

Latest posts