12v DC petrol generator

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
An AGM "no load" voltage of 12.5 V is not flat it is approx. 80% full.
an agm battery with an unloaded terminal voltage of 12.5v is at approx 25% capacity , a healthy agm will have and hold an unloaded terminal voltage of 13.2, if yours does not , you are charging it wrong and you need better battery analysis

ctxkid said:
mudgee hunter said:
Im happy to be able to use the 240v ac to run a compatible 12v charger to them.
As I dont use any 240v appliances when camping, I dont want to lug around a big geni
i have a 240v toaster , coffee machine and soon a 12v travel buddy and there is no genny needed, solar mats are the duck nuts :perfect:
So does that mean you can toast 16 bits of bread for yourself and some of the group if you go to a meetup, and then make them all a coffee? Doing all this while it is cloudy?

Dog Ranger said:
the option is using a battery charger off the 240v output , dirty way to do it but it worx ;)

Bir confused by this statement?
I would have thought a good 7 stage charger like a Ctek for example would give about the best controlled charge you could get?
Meanwhile moveable panels with a quality regulator to ensure your getting max efficiency from the solar system should be first priority. Most of the $10 controllers usually supplied with panels would serve best if used as a door stop
:awful:
dc to ac to dc is dirty power ;)

ctxkid said:
condor22 said:
An AGM "no load" voltage of 12.5 V is not flat it is approx. 80% full.
an agm battery with an unloaded terminal voltage of 12.5v is at approx 25% capacity , a healthy agm will have and hold an unloaded terminal voltage of 13.2, if yours does not , you are charging it wrong and you need better battery analysis
Back to school pal.

Occasional_panner said:
So does that mean you can toast 16 bits of bread for yourself and some of the group if you go to a meetup, and then make them all a coffee? Doing all this while it is cloudy?
that being 8 toast cooks = yes

as for coffee = yes , 400 watts of solar, and as last resort , start the car and see 25amps from the idc controller :sunny:

Very simple mate, it's energy in vs energy out, minus losses.
If it's cloudy and you have drained the battery/s then you need to charge them.
If your solar setup can't handle it, either due to not having enough power under cloudy conditions or just simply undersized then you'll need external help via another dc source. That can be direct dc or dc derived from an ac powered charger.

Anyone can boast what their system can do, but at the end of the day your amp hour is TOTALLY equal to my amp hour, it's simple, amps in vs amps out.

I really hope anyone looking for advice on agm battery percentages does not happen on this thread.
Just checked mine. 12.5.
Very happy as I know not to discharge below 50% (12.01)

Jaros said:
Keep on topic.
This is mudgee hunter's first post on this topic:
Wanting to know of a small generator for topping up the battery when the solar cant keep in a bad patch of weather.
Smallest I can find is 800w.

Plse keep on topic.
Very true!
Did really like the honda but $$$$
And yes 800w was the smallest I could find too!
I will only be running solar for led lighting and small fridge/freezer for making ice.
I dont want to go into all the solar issues or battery type.
Plug a small geni In for a while and top up on the rare occasion.

Redfin said:
I really hope anyone looking for advice on agm battery percentages does not happen on this thread.
Just checked mine. 12.5.
how old and what is the battery/s

mudgee hunter said:
Jaros said:
Keep on topic.
This is mudgee hunter's first post on this topic:
Wanting to know of a small generator for topping up the battery when the solar cant keep in a bad patch of weather.
Smallest I can find is 800w.

Plse keep on topic.
Very true!
Did really like the honda but $$$$
And yes 800w was the smallest I could find too!
I will only be running solar for led lighting and small fridge/freezer for making ice.
I dont want to go into all the solar issues or battery type.
Plug a small geni In for a while and top up on the rare occasion.
Honda or Yammie expensive but good gear :Y:

Very true. But over kill in budget for my needs. Even $400 fo ra remote possibility of need is enough.
If I camped out for a month at a time..... I would go the honda unit.

ctxkid said:
Redfin said:
Just checked mine. 12.5.
how old and what is the battery/s

Every AGM, new or old.

1544952828_battery.jpg

my auto sparky that works for me made one out of a car alt and a wiper sniper motor he had lying around he puts on for about 10;15 min and enough charge to start most things it only took a couple of hours to put together if your handy with that sort of stuff

mudgee hunter said:
Occasional_panner said:
Jaros, when you clearly display errors why do you delete posts that bring them to light?
Ease up, he was exactly on track of what I meant hey.

I agree mudgee hunter. Please keep on topic. If you want to discuss how good or bad your AGM batteries are than please start a topic about tht.

Thanks.

mudgee hunter said:
Ok, thanks guys.
I uderstand there are a lot of variables.
Now imgetting fashbacks of a similar thread thatwent bum up!
Im happy to lock ths thread up!
No need to lock it ? Some good info in the string :Y: Sure it wavers a little from the precise question asked, but it's all relative and in honesty it's not the differing opinions creating angst ..... the selective editing and double standards appears to be more the issue.

Dog Ranger said:
mudgee hunter said:
Ok, thanks guys.
I uderstand there are a lot of variables.
Now imgetting fashbacks of a similar thread thatwent bum up!
Im happy to lock ths thread up!
No need to lock it ? Some good info in the string :Y: Sure it wavers a little from the precise question asked, but it's all relative and in honesty it's not the differing opinions creating angst ..... the selective editing and double standards appears to be more the issue.
mod edit that is what they do when members start testing the mods the threds go down hill fast if you are going to go on about mods and wreck threds maybe go somewhere else this crap is just wrecking this site

Latest posts