Coils for the QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
19 EVO test session this evening , settings 103 GB
44/45
10 mode

for the 1 gram at 7 inches
and 3 gram at 10 inches
and clearly nulls the thresthold on the 3 oz at 19 inches

Now for the big deep targets boomed on the 3 oz at 19 inches and solid on the 2 oz at 23 inches ( note the GPX 4500 wilth 19 evo cant get the 2 oz at 23"in Enhance
went up to mode 12
settings 103
( note ,, you loose the 1 and 3 grammers on the big deep settings

Commander 11" coil prefered mode 6 with B 48
A 60

other coils to test next
14 x 9 EVO
17 x 11 Elite
15 x 12 Commander Mono

cheers Dave

10fp said:
note the GPX 4500 wilth 19 evo cant get the 2 oz at 23"in Enhance

cheers Dave

Dave, your test with your machine may not have been positive, but I assure you my 4500 with a 17 x 11 Coiltek Elite in
Factory presets [and enhance] gave a definite "dig me" on the 4th target at the Coiltek test patch.
2oz @ 22".
Full results were published on this forum back in 2017.

PS: I'm not here to debate the QED, or caparisons between different machines.

Redfin said:
10fp said:
note the GPX 4500 wilth 19 evo cant get the 2 oz at 23"in Enhance

cheers Dave

Dave, your test with your machine may not have been positive, but I assure you my 4500 with a 17 x 11 Coiltek Elite in
Factory presets [and enhance] gave a definite "dig me" on the 4th target at the Coiltek test patch.
2oz @ 22".
Full results were published on this forum back in 2017.

PS: I'm not here to debate the QED, or caparisons between different machines.
And I assume you could still pick up the 1 & 3 grammers in the same settings? :Y:

mbasko said:
And I assume you could still pick up the 1 & 3 grammers in the same settings? :Y:

Must have been a different test patch, but with the above setting have picked up sub grammers @ 3"

Below is a screengrab of the original post, Target No.5 I have since found out is actually at 26"

1553126163_test.jpg

Sorry to go off topic, but felt it was so wrong.

all good mate , the coiltek test site Everybody gets fairly easy according to all video`s

this is in some Really Tough ground that even the 7000 with std coil cant get in difficult , but could get it with the 20"X coil

Redfin your 4th target is 2 oz at 20" , big difference to go another 3 inches in highly mineralised ground with charcoal

i made my test patch 1 inch deeper on the 1 and 3 gram targets
1 gram at 7 inches ( limit for the sdc )
3 gram at 10 inches
11 gram at 15 inches
3 oz at 19 inches ( way to easy )
2 oz at 23 inches . ( the tough one in my hot ground )

cheers dave

14 x 9 EVO runs pretty well on mode 7 around th b 43
th b 42 in better ground
th a 60

Commander 11" runs well on mode 7 also very similar settings

walking around i tend to stay in GB mode so i can just keep adjusting on the fly up or down 2 or 3

Dave

Have seen and used the test patch that 10pf is talking about on his property. Very heavily mineralised. As tough a ground that you will find. Lots of hot rock and some charcoal but the ground is natural, not made up ground. Old timer gold diggings there. Was an 18" xcoil used for test purposes. Cheers TG

10fp said:
19 EVO test session this evening , settings 103 GB
44/45
10 mode

for the 1 gram at 7 inches
and 3 gram at 10 inches
and clearly nulls the thresthold on the 3 oz at 19 inches

Now for the big deep targets boomed on the 3 oz at 19 inches and solid on the 2 oz at 23 inches ( note the GPX 4500 wilth 19 evo cant get the 2 oz at 23"in Enhance
went up to mode 12
settings 103
( note ,, you loose the 1 and 3 grammers on the big deep settings

Commander 11" coil prefered mode 6 with B 48
A 60

other coils to test next
14 x 9 EVO
17 x 11 Elite
15 x 12 Commander Mono

cheers Dave

Dave have you tested the 15 x 12 Commander Mono yet?
i have one haven't tried it yet either.

Has anyone got some settings for the 11inch Detech Ultra Sensing Mono to get me started.
Thanks Centralvic

ths a =50 or your null point, ths b = 70, mode = 4, gain = 5, leave all the rest as is, will find you 0.1 of a gram wth those settings.

pinfire opals said:
ths a =50 or your null point, ths b = 70, mode = 4, gain = 5, leave all the rest as is, will find you 0.1 of a gram wth those settings.

Hi pinfire, your A abd B should be reversed mate. Easy done.

Try mode 3 with your gain around 5. If your gain wants to be around 1, try mode 4 with the gain hovering around 5. Do a ground balance after your reset. Once you have changed some settings, recheck GB. Check your null at THS-B. If chasing the smaller stuff, run your B 1 or 2 under null. Check your ground balance often as it can change often.

The Elite 9" is one of the coils that I use on the QED. I find it to be very good on small targets, and use it mainly for scrubby areas where larger coils are difficult to maneuver. I was told that this coil was very susceptible to hot rocks, but I have not found this to be much of a problem with the QED, although I have not tried it on my GPX.
My other small coil of choice is the Commander 8" which is very stable, and better at pinpointing with the coil edge, due I guess to being bundle wound.

The latest mod from Howard now sees the QED able to run DD coils. The new concentric coils should also work on QED although I am still waiting for my 18" Detech concentric to arrive to verify this.
I have over the last few days tested the QED with an 11" Commander DD coil which performed quite well. The DD allows the QED to run on higher gain settings and lower mode. Basically it does what DDs are supposed to do, allowing the user to detect changeable and mineralized ground with less need for constant re balancing and spurious noise. I tested it over ironstone and red clay surfaces where it behaved very smoothly and I rarely had to touch GB.
The other mod, DSM (Dynamic Spectrum Modulation) is a whole new GB system which has broadened the GB from 1 to 200 out to 1 to 300 giving a smoother more tolerant operation over all conditions, and makes for a more user friendly detector.
Both these updates are available free for all PL1 and PL2 QEDs, the only cost being postage to and from. The QED is now an even better PI detector.

Geez the QED runs so much smoother now with the upgrades done. Howard has done an impressive job once again.

Previously i was at Mode 3 with gain at 6 running the Minelab 11 mono. Im now at the lowest mode (1) and gain 10!

GB 249, THS-B 51, THS-A 60. Pitch nice and low at 15. Never touched GB since initial setup.

Hole not as deep as pick is in length as it was on the side of a mullock heap.

1566555470_7a4e2657-70d2-46a6-91a9-1d405f26474f.jpg

1566555500_7b11cc51-12d3-4982-9b10-281714e74975.jpg

Aussiedigs said:
Geez the QED runs so much smoother now with the upgrades done. Howard has done an impressive job once again.

Previously i was at Mode 3 with gain at 6 running the Minelab 11 mono. Im now at the lowest mode (1) and gain 10!

GB 249, THS-B 51, THS-A 60. Pitch nice and low at 15. Never touched GB since initial setup.

Hole not as deep as pick is in length as it was on the side of mullock heap

Aussiedigs I notice that you are now running in mode 1.
My understanding though is that the new updates basically remove the current modes 1 & 2 i.e. mode 3-4 on current version becomes mode 1 on the updated?
Not sure but do know that Howard has stated the new ground balance (DSM) starts at 8uS with 0.5uS per mode increments & there are less modes?
The current version modes start at around ~7uS I thought with a lower than <0.5uS incremental adjustment. Maybe someone could clarify this? Interesting as I always deemed modes 1 & 2 as pretty much unusable in most conditions.

Upping the gain to 10 is a good step. Wondering if this increase was in the same area you were running 6 previously? 6 was about the highest gain I could use with the current PL2 version in most cases.

My main area of interest though is the ability of the update to maintain a good GB as this was my biggest issue with the QED in some areas - constant GB adjustment & hot rocks. If it defeats this then it will be a winner!
Mullock heap areas generally speaking didn't cause many, or any, issues though & even my SDC would punch deep into them (one SDC hole was around ~700mm from memory on mullock). If someone is using the updates over some more mineralised & variable ground would be keen to hear your thoughts on the upgrades & in particular how the ground balance is over such ground in regards to both stability & ability to balance out hot rocks (+ stay balanced)!

mbasko said:
Aussiedigs said:

Hole not as deep as pick is in length as it was on the side of mullock heap

Aussiedigs I notice that you are now running in mode 1.
My understanding though is that the new updates basically remove the current modes 1 & 2 i.e. mode 3-4 on current version becomes mode 1 on the updated?
Not sure but do know that Howard has stated the new ground balance (DSM) starts at 8uS with 0.5uS per mode increments & there are less modes?
The current version modes start at around ~7uS I thought with a lower than <0.5uS incremental adjustment. Maybe someone could clarify this? Interesting as I always deemed modes 1 & 2 as pretty much unusable in most conditions.

Upping the gain to 10 is a good step. Wondering if this increase was in the same area you were running 6 previously? 6 was about the highest gain I could use with the current PL2 version in most cases.

My main area of interest though is the ability of the update to maintain a good GB as this was my biggest issue with the QED in some areas - constant GB adjustment & hot rocks. If it defeats this then it will be a winner!
Mullock heap areas generally speaking didn't cause many, or any, issues though & even my SDC would punch deep into them (one SDC hole was around ~700mm from memory on mullock). If someone is using the updates over some more mineralised & variable ground would be keen to hear your thoughts on the upgrades & in particular how the ground balance is over such ground in regards to both stability & ability to balance out hot rocks (+ stay balanced)!

Bare with me as im a tard when it comes to electronics!

My thinking was that if i could run the likes of an 11 mono in mode 1/gain 10 then the likes of a smaller coil could run in a lower mode if there was one. Apparently no as the decay curve is as low as it can go.

I wasnt only swinging over mullock heaps. I spent more time over unworked ground yet i never readjusted the GB in the (short) time i was out there. GB at 249 out of 300 isnt what id call (at this stage) low on mineralisation.

If i hear of anymore explanations on this ill let you know.