Coils for the QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirrors

😎
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a qed but it comes with an option of 2 coils

11" Ultra Sensing Mono Coil or 15x10 Mono regular wound coil

First time detector user so looking for advice before I purchase
Thanks in advance
Mirrors

That Detech 11" coil seems to be well-regarded by users and for a novice, a smaller coil will be easier to get to grips with, as you learn the detector's tuning procedures and signal 'language'. The smaller coil will also be easier to manouvre in and around branches, stumps, rocks, etc.

Good luck! :Y:

Mirrors, try Coiltek at Maryborough. I picked up a used 8"Commander there for a friend yesterday, and I know they had a used Sadie as well.

PS The Commander was for a QED, and I think they wanted about $170 for the Sadie.

Sorry reg but I havent got the qed yet
I tried but it says to pay via PayPal
I dont use PayPal to buy the detector
Is it sold locally in Victoria? Where I can pay by cash or card ?

I've got the 11" detec and a Sadie with my QED and as a relative newbie I find the Sadie a lot easier to use. Ground balancing and most of the other settings seem a lot more critical with a bigger coil and I've dug some bloody deep holes for iron junk!

Mirrors said:
Sorry reg but I havent got the qed yet
I tried but it says to pay via PayPal
I dont use PayPal to buy the detector
Is it sold locally in Victoria? Where I can pay by cash or card ?
try and call them in the morning, most places now take credit card over the phone, i know ebay ley you use credit card via paypal with out joining up, ive been doing it like this for around 9 months, hope this helps ya out, also one on gumtree, under metal detectors $1500 ono from memory, good luck any way mate. :perfect:

The Sadie is very easy to set up and is
a brilliant choice for a QED.
I was going out tomorrow for the first time for
about 2 months.
The storms have put paid to that. :(
Till next Sunday any way. :Y: :Y:

Hello all.

With the pending sale of the Z I am seriously looking at a QED as a lightweight PI that is at the price point for how much use I am likely to get out of my next 'gold' detector.

I am wondering if people would be happy to list the coils that they have actually used on a QED and how they felt about:

- its abilities in their given ground and what type of ground that was.

- issues or lack of with EMI.

- issues or lack of with ground balance.

- ergonomics/balance of the coil with weight, was a bungy required, etc.

I already have some particular coils in mind but would be interested to hear thoughts about others that I may not have considered. And hopefully this can also become a reference point for other QED users in the future.

Thanks, NE.

Favorite coils for QED. Small coils... Sadie, 8" Commander.
Medium coils...11" Elite, 14" Elite.
Large coils...18" Elite, 18" Detech, 25" Nuggetfinder, 38" John-hider Smith custom built coil.
I could probably cut this list down to the two most used coils which would be the 8" commander for tight or scrubby areas, and the 25" Nuggetfinder for open country.
The Elite coils are very good, but a little heavy, I guess due to more wire, and tend to be a bit noisier and less stable. The up side is that they are very sensitive and probably have a bit more punch than a bundle wound coil.
I have never had EMI problems with the QED and have found I can get very close to both buried cables and overhead power lines that sent my 7000 crazy.
Ground balance can at times be a bit finicky, but the areas that have given me trouble also caused problems with both my GPZ and GPX. I have actually found that having a manual ground balancing machine can be very handy in some problem areas, being able to eliminate many spurious signals.
Ergonomics.... Now this is where the QED really shines. It is super light and nicely balanced with almost any coil, not requiring a harness or bungy cord for all but the monster coil, for which I do use a bungy cord. You may require a bungy for the larger Elites, depending on your level of strength and fitness, but I do not use one for the 25" Nuggetfinder as it is surprisingly light.
I have been impressed right from the start as to how powerful this super compact detector is. Miniaturization at its best, with a battery life of about 8 hours, and rechargeable, of course.

Thanks Reg, perfect start :Y:

The 25" Nugget Finder was the larger coil that interested me most.

I know that there is a lot of information about coils for the QED, wireless units, speaker systems, etc on this forum already but it is spread across several threads and 60 pages with a lot of other irrelevant info mixed in. I hope these more specific threads help others to refine their search.

Favourite coil was 11" Detech Ultra Mono. I found it a good allround coil that could match the 8" Commander mono for sensitivity. Found both my smallest & biggest bit with this coil on the QED & ran it in mode 3-4 mostly.
I only used the 8" Commander if detecting tighter areas.
The 8" Commander I had ran well but I couldn't replicate others who run them in mode 1 without a lot of ground noise/hot rocks. Was best for me at mode 3 >.
Also found the 16" Nugget Finder Advantage ran well on the QED. From most reports it appears that mid to large NFA coils all seem to run well on it.
No particular EMI issues with any specific coil just the norm when getting too close to other machines, when near some powerlines or approaching storms which occur with other detectors too.

Just to add further:
The Detech 11" Ultra Sensing Mono is one of two coils offered as part of the QED PL2 package
http://www.detech-metaldetectorsaustralia.com.au/qed-detech-complete-package
You could get that as a starting point & see what you think. No real loss if you decide you don't like it - sell it on eBay etc.
I read somewhere that your mate has a GPX5000 - if you do get a QED then hit your mate up for a lend of his coil collection & try them out on the QED. Best way to find what will suit you/your area IMO.

Just got some feedback on the 15x10 Detech coil that Stinky Pete is offering as an option on the QED package. A user reports that it is very stable over nasty ground and has surprising depth capabilities. He tested it against a friends QED, and said he was glad he took the 15x10 option.
Might have to see if I can borrow one to do a bit of testing.

Latest posts