Making quarts crusher

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im going to make a stone crusher targeting mostly 20mm and smaller quarts.
Using two largish size gears with a flywheel and interchangeable mains electric motor and small petrol motor whats your thoughts?
Im thinking the teeth on the gears may not hold up.

have seen an idea like that unless it is built like a tank and has a lot of power which makes it very heavy it will jam and flog out you nearly have to go industrial size for it to work and you still will be repairing it often

savage bitter said:
have seen an idea like that unless it is built like a tank and has a lot of power which makes it very heavy it will jam and flog out you nearly have to go industrial size for it to work and you still will be repairing it often

Thanks for the reply Ill still give I a go and if I dosent work Ill convert it to a jaw crusher Im just trying something different.

Youtube has a few diy's on it as well.
The fly wheel itself can be incorporated with just weight from the crusher parts alone I think.
AC motors dont like loaded starts generally. But you will get a good rpm.
Ratio is very important, size of your pulley wheels.
The bonus about a petrol engine is you can quickly adjust your rpm.
Electric means you will have to adjust your pully ratio/size.
I've been thinking about using a multi pully wheel like off an industrial drill press to do a final tune of rpm on a petrol set up.
Giving you quick ratio options.

Petrol dose offer versatility over electric.
Remember to make the housing a bolt up unit for bearing maintenance etc
Since you happy to be able to feed smaller material at a time, this might me you can make it more savage without bogging it down. Or breaking shafts etc.
Im not fond of the idea of using chain links as the primary means.

Ive got an couple of pullys and multi ones too.
My plan is to use a belt and a tension pully too with a quick release to change the ratios if needed.

mudgee hunter said:
Youtube has a few diy's on it as well.
The fly wheel itself can be incorporated with just weight from the crusher parts alone I think.
AC motors dont like loaded starts generally. But you will get a good rpm.
Ratio is very important, size of your pulley wheels.
The bonus about a petrol engine is you can quickly adjust your rpm.
Electric means you will have to adjust your pully ratio/size.
I've been thinking about using a multi pully wheel like off an industrial drill press to do a final tune of rpm on a petrol set up.
Giving you quick ratio options.

Petrol dose offer versatility over electric.
Remember to make the housing a bolt up unit for bearing maintenance etc
Since you happy to be able to feed smaller material at a time, this might me you can make it more savage without bogging it down. Or breaking shafts etc.
Im not fond of the idea of using chain links as the primary means.

MH, why are you not a fan of the chain links?

a jaw crusher design is a simple way to crush I have made a number of them and they work well but they still need to be built like a brick s#$t house or they twist and bend snap and so on but still very heavy not something I would want to lug around

Just a personal opion. Rather see hinged hardened plate where you can 0.5mm of air gap across the entire width of the plate at the peak point.
A chain link only has a very small surface area at the radius. Rather than flick it off to the sides and miss a heap in every rotation.
Best to have both the motor and crusher mounted down tight, and not adjustable for belt tention.
Use an idol pully with a decent 16mm threaded rod for adjustment between
Even be dampened with a good coil spring.
This can help take out sudden shocks when jamming/loading etc

Latest posts