Anyone have any experience with throwing a dif lock on a Sprinter?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've watched alot of The Nugget Magnets videos. He may be one of the reasons this trip is happening in the first place! That is very reassuring to know.

Are you sure about the sprinter I thought nugget magnet had an iveco van remember seeing he had a few issues but eventually got it sorted

For use you require model with lsd would suffice and would not even consider one with open diff. Then when you price spares I probably would forget it and look at a different vehicle :8

99% of the time you will prefer height clearance bashing around. Maybe try looking up ozi lockers for it.
There is some crazy russians out there with those Mitsubishi delicia things on YouTube! 4wd van. Unbelievable where they take them.
Probably a better investment

If you want to know about Delica call Ben at the Delica Garage in Geelong Vic He can answer any questions you may have . One Delica downside is very poor legal towing weight. Not towing much then no issue :Y:
Mitsu running gear some even interchangeable with Pajero,so parts readily available at right price.

Chrisso said:
Are you sure about the sprinter I thought nugget magnet had an iveco van remember seeing he had a few issues but eventually got it sorted
Yeah I wasnt totally sure on the make. I thought he mentioned merc when he was having the mechanic dramas. Like you said though he has it sorted and is back out making vids again.

Chrisso said:

When it comes to reliability the Transit are the Number ONE Van across the whole of Europe, you just need to Carry spare fan belts, that model the Guy from Gold Hunters should have a 3.0L in it, But most are a 2.5 Diesel and they are unbreakable,

The Iveco's are a Heavy Duty Line made by Ford's Commercial Division. Like the Transit Iveco are just as good, bit across the whole Europe the Transit out sells every other brand by about 10 to 1 and the Transit has been made since 1965 and they have been made in to everything from Vans to Tip Trucks, Tow Truck and High Spec Camper Vans, and they were even the preferred vehicle of a certain Criminal element, and they even make one with the Ford Cobra Stripes :cool: You guys should do a Video search on Guy Martins Van, He took has standard work Van and made it in to a Race Van and it flies, LOL.

I have owned 3, 1 from the late 60's and one from the late 90's and a 2012 model.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw...img.......0j0i67j0i8i30j0i30j0i24.eLpE2EFMOJE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit

https://www.iveco.com/uk/pages/home-page.aspx#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iveco

I have a factory built 4x4 sprinter and have used it in some spots where I wouldn't take my previous 2wd sprinter. The 4wd sprinter is a different beast to the 2wd with extra ground clearance (and has extra horses), but is still not a "real" bush bashing 4x4.

From standard the tyres need changing for a start and if you want extra space that typically means length, and that effectively reduces the ground clearance (from rocks, etc).

Great vehicles as a camper, but best to get something "off the shelf" rather than trying to build, and it will take you a lot longer to do than you may expect, especialy with the Mercedes electronics hassles.

Get on the Sprinter forum to see what those blokes think about your idea before spending any $$$

Rob P.

Sprinters are great. Get some aggressive tyres, bulbar and a winch. And maybe a hand winch if you need to come out backwards. Bloody ripper vehicles.

I've had a number of 4 x 4 sprinters and have used them in desert gold country, bush camping throughout Australia for 10 years. I have fitted them out for our convenience, for remote camping (gold detecting) and have found the 4 x 4 sprinter to be a reliable vehicle. Easy to drive and park. We've been four wheel driving for 45 years and have had good experience in all situations. Happy to help out with info so will email our mobile number.

Jacko said:
I've had a number of 4 x 4 sprinters and have used them in desert gold country, bush camping throughout Australia for 10 years. I have fitted them out for our convenience, for remote camping (gold detecting) and have found the 4 x 4 sprinter to be a reliable vehicle. Easy to drive and park. We've been four wheel driving for 45 years and have had good experience in all situations. Happy to help out with info so will email our mobile number.
Can you lockup the hubs , diff ?
Are they a true 4x4 running setup or an all wheel drive like a rav4
My jeep is stamped as a 4x4, but it aint really.
Its no different really to my Rav4 AWD. cant lock the axels up at all.

Similar to the 100 and 200 series Landcruiser station wagons. Push button select 4wd, low range transfer case.
2000 to 2006 mos were 5 speed manual, the odd one auto. True rear diff lock, 2009 onwards, auto or manual gear box, low range transfer case, no diff lock but traction control on front and rear axles. 4x4 sprinter has 4 inch standard lift and and can be fitted with at or mt tyres.

We have used 4 mid wheel base sprinters, all 4x4s which give better ramp over and less overhang. These vehicles are used by NSW ambulance and Telstra remote/non service vehicles. You need to treat them with respect as you would the 100 and 200 series land cruisers which you don't use the same as you would the cruiser utes.

We flew to WA to Buy a private imported one, an 03, not ex ambulance, bought a Clark Rubber mattress, a new Engel fridge and op shop stuff, Bunnings $8 chairs and had a pretty comfortable 6 weeks away on the goldfields near Kalgoorlie. This started our gold detecting adventures. Have a mate who bought an ex Telstra, stripped it out and did what he wanted with ply, good for the two of them. Went around Aus in it. Our current one is fitted with double bed or two singles at the rear so we, me and son, can take it hunting, tow a trailer with 2 quad bikes. No probs. has bench, cbds, sink, gas cooker, unused as we always cook outside, bathroom with shower accessible from the Sliding door on the driver side, solar, 12v fridge. Has plenty of uses including the grey nomad thing.

Top post Jacko :Y: :Y: :Y:
The product you end up with and how well it serves your purpose with minimal outlay is the key :playful:
Bit of wise shopping and some initiative and I ended up with a set up that rivals a top of the range Kimberly Kamper worth 78 k, in both features and quality. (When they were in business) My setup cost me under 10k ;) Maybe that's the reason their n longer trading perhaps? :8

And the search continues... I've opened up my horizon to include the iveco daily, ford transit, merc sprinter, possibly the VW van. Loads of options around the country, just not where I need them here in VIC. I thought I found a great buy on an iveco just to find out the location was not correct and its a 30hr+ drive away. Every day I don't have a van is a day I'm paying rent in the suburbs... Hopefully I can find something decent soon. It would probably help if my girlfriend didn't have such a specific and lengthy list of requirements but I can't complain too much there seeing as she agreed to go prospecting for a good chunk of the year haha.

Latest posts