what is this? bright silver in rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this today, up Chewton way

rings loudly on the detector

any idea what the material / mineral it is?

it`s very shiny, the green reflections are from the plastic lid i had them sitting on.

1543138607_img_20181125_194246_large.jpg

1543138608_img_20181125_194248_large.jpg

1543138608_img_20181125_194323_large.jpg

1543138608_img_20181125_194334_large.jpg

Cheers!,
Richard

yes, it`s brittle, will break into small shards when i tried to break a bit away with pliers.

any value/use? or just a common basic mineral? looks way cool though as it`s highly reflective!

rgormley said:
yes, it`s brittle, will break into small shards when i tried to break a bit away with pliers.

any value/use? or just a common basic mineral? looks way cool though as it`s highly reflective!

Only valuable by the 1 ton lot im afraid.... One for the Mineral Cabinet.... Does it smell like Garlic?

LW....

rgormley said:

Minerals that look like that around Chewton are stibnite, molybdenite and galena (the last most likely close to Chewton). Stibnite is around the hardness of your finger-nail, molybdenite can be scratched by your fingernail, galena is usually harder than your fingernail. Galena tends to be more brittle and crumble as cubes, the others (especially molybdenite) rarely break into grains and are often flakey. Looks more like galena to me....

However is it in granite rock (one photo looked a bit like it). If so, it will almost certainly be molybdenite.

looks like galena to me basically an ore for silver and lead and has cubic crystal structure and quite soft