Yabby pump directly into gold rat mini sluice?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Do you think I can yabby pump straight into my mini gold rat dream mat sluice?
Or should I still be classifying it down?

Never used a yabby pump so I'm not sure how big of rocks it will suck up?! And if it's not going to work well with such a small sluice.

Cheers for any advice

I pump into a #8 sieve most of the time. I did make a reducer on the yabby pump though for getting into nooks, can pump that directly into the mini sluice, but yeah the 6 needs some sort of classification.

I also have one of those Peacekeeper attachments, most of the time I pump that directly into the 12.

Dont want to see you lose good gold from the cells getting clogged. 50mm yabby pump has the unfortunate ability to suck up 48mm stones from time to time hehe.

Was thinking if you could get one of these in brass or stainless it might save you some time.
Would be interesting to see if it worked.

50mm vent cap/cowl is what I searched for.

1542186646_3baaee04-9bac-4249-aa67-c968582b8cc7.jpg

1542186667_1150e05f-fb55-4dd0-8dbf-0010e3ced596.jpg

1542186687_0236ecf2-e6fe-4f97-9789-b622a8abbb46.jpg

AussieChris said:
Was thinking if you could get one of these in brass or stainless it might save you some time.
Would be interesting to see if it worked.

50mm vent cap/cowl is what I searched for.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6646_3baaee04-9bac-4249-aa67-c968582b8cc7.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6667_1150e05f-fb55-4dd0-8dbf-0010e3ced596.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6687_0236ecf2-e6fe-4f97-9789-b622a8abbb46.jpg
have tried all that they just block up and you send the day trying to clean it and then you cut it off anyhow

Goldface said:
Hi all,

Do you think I can yabby pump straight into my mini gold rat dream mat sluice?
Or should I still be classifying it down?

Never used a yabby pump so I'm not sure how big of rocks it will suck up?! And if it's not going to work well with such a small sluice.

Cheers for any advice

You'll soon work out even if it did work it wouldn't be practical.
When you use a yabbie pump you really need to dump it somewhere really close, or all your crap falls out.
So, if you wanted to drop your yabbie pump directly into a sluice you'll have yo keep moving your sluice all the time to where you are pumping.
That would just be a pain.
Much better to pump material into a bucket, gather up enough, classify it off and feed through sluice.

Edit I'm guessing by your post count and the question that you are fairly new to this.
Try and concentrate on one process at a time, collect material, classify, then process though sluice.
How it goes through the sluice is the most important part, if you stuff that up you may as well not bother digging at all.
So concentrate on that part and watch the cells closely, it needs to be at an optimal angle and optimal water feed rate.
If not sure take a clear video and put it on youtube.

Just pump into a bucket mate, ideally a wide bucket about 250mm high so you do have to lift the pump as high. Use the pump with no attachments first to get the bulk of the material out then put on a reducer to clean the tight spots.

I also use the mini cell sluice and i only classify to 12mm and it works fine if theres enough water.

The week just gone i decided to test the mini sluice by feeding it extremely fast approximately 20l of dirt per minute with fast water flow and gad excellent capture of even the fine gold. Found 1 speck in the pan at the end. The dream cells are great.

For tight small spots I've used one of these kids water pistols. at a dollar it's worth having one in the kit:)

1546633844_42663867-1-f.jpg

Simple cheap and I have pump that one straight into my mini gold rat dream mat sluice. It worked ok, but I was only cleaning a small crevice.

It would be interesting to see if something could be made up like the mesh they have put out for their bigger sluices. That act like grizzly bars on a highbanker some where for the rocks to skip over the cells and the good stuff to fall through. Might be to little of a run though to be effective.

Latest posts