Frog ID

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Frog ID is on this week.
It's where you download the FrogID app, then record your local frogs and submit the recording.
They then identify the frogs and log them in a database for research.
They'll also advise the frog(s) type.
I'll be recording tonight after some rain (hopefully).
https://www.frogid.net.au/

1542057092_capture_frog.jpg

There once was a restaurant in Bowral by the name of the Black Tulip, and in the good old days as a young rep and an expense card, I always had Frog Legs as an entree.
They were probably toads by the size of them but tasted beaut.
Mackka

Mackka said:
There once was a restaurant in Bowral by the name of the Black Tulip, and in the good old days as a young rep and an expense card, I always had Frog Legs as an entree.
They were probably toads by the size of them but tasted beaut.
Mackka

I tried em once but I think they were under done coz they kept kicking the chips of the plate, lol :playful: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey BW, sorry mate, I know this is a very important subject as for many years now I have listened to people saying that the frog population is decreasing and so is the bee population and we all know that if bees don't pollinate fruit trees, flowers, vegetables etc. we don't eat.
So lets get behind BW and help out.
Although I live next to a nature corridor I don't see or hear many frogs probably due to the enormous array and quantity of birdlife, however I will take notice and report ant findings.
Regards
Mackka

BigWave said:
Guys please get real. I listened to the info session from a young lady scientist who explained the importance of this work.
Frogs are an important indicator of the world's environment monitoring.
I think this is worth supporting - without your mockery!

As some views point out that where the frogs are land gets locked to keep them protected and then you say you will be out counting them tonight, By doing that you are giving the powers that be all they need to close places down, If you are worried about loosing places that are open would you not be better off by not reporting any frogs in the first place, There are times when it is best to say nothing at all.

BigWave said:
Thanks Mackka.
We talk about being of the Bush User Groups United etc.
We need to show that we're all also keen on conservation.
Let's do this.

It does not matter what you do if they want to close it they will anyway and by doing this you are giving them the ammo to shoot you with, and in twelve months time just don't go opening a thread here complaining about it, because they "Will" close it, they always do and it's been that way for the past 20 plus years or more.

If you do ya Nuts.

Funny you should mention frogs BigWave... I live in an inner Melbourne suburb and for the past few nights I've heard a lone frog croaking. Not something I've heard here before! When I first heard it, it took me a while to work out what it was, and finally thought, 'What the... that's a frog!' But I'm wondering if it's just one of the kids over the fence with a frog in an aquarium in their outdoor kitchen area.

I don't suppose they want to know about pet frogs? It's the only one I can add to their survey.
(And I'm being serious here). But I'm not downloading the app just for one pet frog, if they don't count.

I'm curious though, how do they know how many frogs are in an area when there's a lot of them all croaking at the same time, just by listening to a recording? Or do you have to do a count too? That part would be easy for me, but not for others, I'd think!

Regards,
Megsy

Hello, I don't hear any frogs where I am even though I am in the country, so if you do, help, they will not lock anything, it is just a scientific research, don't be paranoid about it, only hope for the best and the best will happen, save them if you can, I mean save the frogs, it has nothing to do with closing anything, science and research only, cheers :D

Hi bigwave , have you recorded any frogs? So far Ive recorded graceful tree frogs , red eyed tree frogs, a giant green tree frog , striped marsh frogs and a pobblebonk frog( burrowing frog). All in my back yard . The forest nearby is a national park will have a go there to see if there are other species .

I can see both sides of this. Frogs are an important part of the ecosystem and here on our claim at Sapphire, we have recorded 11 different species, but not far from here, a large tract of land with sapphire bearing wash has been locked up in the hope that one or two rare invertebrates will make some sort of miraculous comeback after not being seen for many years.

I will not pass on info that can be used to lock me out of areas when the decision makers do bugger all to stop the likes of the Adani mine.

Jeff

BigWave said:
Guys please get real. I listened to the info session from a young lady scientist who explained the importance of this work.
Frogs are an important indicator of the world's environment monitoring.
I think this is worth supporting - without your mockery!

Science mmm I remember well the differing reports for and against based on science when we in Vic fought the ECC (Environment Conservation Council) for our rights to access public land back in the late 90s and early 2000s when I was involved with the PMAV :Y:. Basically the ECC scientific reports were written to lock up our land and fortunately the PMAV had a scientist with environmental interests on the state committee, along with many decent people who could see the smoke and mirrors game played by the ECC. The ECC was instigated by the Kennet government and operated with public funding so their purse was always full and we the public prospectors had the scrimp purse of donations and fortunately a super committee steering the PMAV and like every state lobby group all 100 percent volunteers :Y:. I'll have a look at the site BW but as for providing information I'll give it a miss. I love science don't get me wrong it explains pretty much everything, unfortunately when it's environment based data collection I'm out to many risks these days.

Hello Megsy, it seems they use software that uses algorithms that help calculate the number of frogs by identifying the sounds with accuracy and speed, the app has that software in it and the scientists use that to do their research and quantify the number of frogs and also their different species.
I hope this help answer your question, cheers :D

Lots of dams around my area so on a still warm night they really go off. No idea what type but its a pleasure to listen to them. Used to have a big grevillia growing outside my kitchen window which was a great thing for the frogs to climb up and sit on the window waiting for the bugs which were attracted to the light. Unfortunately it had to be removed. Frogs are still there but they need something to climb on.
I gotta say I love frogs.

Latest posts