Faceting Spinel (Blackjack)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has personally faceted black spinel and is it worth it? My fiancee loves it and has found quite a few larger pieces that she wants to get something done too them but not sure what yet.
Cheers

Woke up this morning with black spinel on my mind, there is something about the sheen of the facets in those photos that is mesmerising.

I might need to go out to the back yard and dig up my treasure chest and see if I have a cutter hiding in it. :pickshovel:

I suspect that the laws of Trial and Error may apply to me, but consistency under a magnify would be the first step.

My problem is I have mixed my black stones. And my tourmaline source doesn't facet well. I will need to pick out some spinel with a fractured face to be sure I have one.

I'll post some photos, if I can find a suitable one.

Awesome. I have a few ranging from 5ct to 12ct.
1542059972_screenshot_20181113-085822_gallery.jpg

Pull out a few from my black box

1542080327_b916dfd9-a3a2-409e-8de5-27c0f32cb0d7.jpg

The two on the top right hand side of the coin are black tourmaline , I have found that they contain voids throughout the stones I have touched up to date, although the bigger crystal, found last week in the New England, looks to be a bit denser and might be worth having a crack at.

I have selected the three highlighted stones to work on, one is a clean pyramidal crystal while the others have surface character. First step is to hit them with a 1000 diamond disc to see what happens.

1542080646_4d327dbb-71a8-4e2b-b1c1-6c28408b756c.jpg

Looks like some very slight variation in the surface texture. Some defects extend into the stones and there is an odd bubble or two but generally speaking, I think all three show promise, just need to cut away the defects.

Yours look like they will behave the same, and I also see the odd pyramid shape in amongst your hoard

Stay tuned........ :fire: :beer: :beer:

Decided to see what would happen if I went straight to a large surface polish on stone No.2, I would not normally do this in fear of tearing an edge.

The stone behaved similar to some sapphire surfaces and developed orange peel like pits under the 1000 disc, but they are very even and small unlike some sections of a sapphire facet that will just run away on you. The edges seem to be rock-solid.

1542086385_791a6072-36c4-4c4e-accd-cd1dffbe35dd.jpg

The polish stage was interesting and is very slow due to the hardness of spinel and my choice to do a large table. Running several grit size graduations might be a smarter choice to get the pitting out of the stone quicker. Smaller facets would also help.

1542086687_a723e133-9bd4-47f2-af03-33e387b1bea1.jpg

This photo shows the inclusions and fine pitting that looks like it will come out. The reflection is the globe of my work lamp.

I've worn a lot of black and silver/platinum jewelry over the years - jet, onyx - never heard of Spinel before I joined the forum.
Wish I had - I love the almost mirror gloss and density of the black in it. Love that! :perfect:

Nice rubbish P.H. :cool: :gemstone:

Have decided to keep going with the one on the dop, am starting to chase out the defects

1542109503_c89be5a0-fa49-443f-9cbd-3d5651b6a8bc.jpg

.....and will be giving it a flat bum with the view of setting it in a low-profile setting. It also means I can chase a bigger size stone as the base has more defects.

1542109524_c056aeb7-edd0-4b68-82f6-6995d0d6fab1.jpg

The contrast of frosted and gloss is another quality black spinel brings to the table. :)

Wally, Wally, Wally... I think you might be one of those people who are easily distracted.
The sapphire silver ring, Wal - Mk2 - what happened?? :D

MegsyB007 said:
Wally, Wally, Wally... I think you might be one of those people who are easily distracted.
The sapphire silver ring, Wal - Mk2 - what happened?? :D

:8 .........hhhhmmmm....... :idea: .......set within the striking angular walls of a high-polish jet black spinel
:playful: :playful: :playful:

Keep up the good work wally. Im really enjoying seeing the spinel been worked with. I think i may be hunting some bigger ones in the future

Latest posts