Chainsaw recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard Luck said:
Thanks for the contributions all.
I've decided on the STIHL MS 170 Mini Boss Chainsaw.
After watching a few reviews It'll be more than enough for my needs. I'll spend the extra bucks and have peace of mind.

Cheers!!

Well done, that will serve you well for sure and it is a really nice light saw to use, Let us know what you think when you have given her a test drive, :Y:

OzzieAu said:
No fuel or batteries required, just a bit of elbow grease to glide this Japanese made pull saw through any type of timber.
I have cut through fallen tree branches and logs blocking tracks and barely raised a sweat.... its the sweetest cutting saw I have used.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3352_3e7ef663-0c08-4dde-9017-582c18927698.jpg
It has a 40cm. blade and can be holstered on your belt.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3555_954a4565-4159-46a6-ad1c-3663b655e046.jpg
And just as with a chainsaw, dont take these teeth for granted. :poop:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3748_52a99b3b-9f43-461c-8c93-70ac45495af9.jpg
Silent but deadly.

Haven't used this exact one but can vouch for their efficiency :Y: top tool even if you own a chainsaw. Quicker in some cases worth every cent :trophy: :Y:.

Hard Luck said:
After watching a few reviews It'll be more than enough for my needs. I'll spend the extra bucks and have peace of mind.

Cheers!!

While your there buying it grab a spare chain, chain sharpening file $50.00 bucks or there abouts for a decent one if you've never sharpened chains before by hand, it'll do the rakers at the same time, their gold no good having a blunt chain that smokes rather than cut. Also grab a few metres of rip cord and a spare fuel filter, and air filter easy to replace on the go to keep you going, better than being cold or stuck.

When I was a boy Mum and Dad would be one each end of a crosscut saw. I still have it in the shed and it will end up hanging on the living room wall soon. Eventually Dad came home with a Mcculloch chainsaw that lasted for years.

When I married Mrs M nearly 20 years ago she came with her own little Mcculloch chainsaw that we still use from time to time. The chain and bar are stuffed but it always starts even after a year or so sitting on the shelf.

It just had a workout in Geraldton so I'll load up a video shortly....well I'm in Capel right now and heading for Geraldton in the morning so it might have to wait a few days until I get back from Cue :)

Hard Luck said:

Cheers!!
it will take 7 pulls from a cold start to make it run , if ya fast enough getting the choke off , you will not need 8 ;)

excellent choice spending a few dollars more to buy quality :Y: :power: :power: :cool:

ctxkid said:
Hard Luck said:

Cheers!!
it will take 7 pulls from a cold start to make it run , if ya fast enough getting the choke off , you will not need 8 ;)

excellent choice spending a few dollars more to buy quality :Y: :power: :power: :cool:
agree

Hard Luck said:

Cheers!!

A nice little saw. I have 3 -
Old Ryobi GTS56 - used on and off for many years, but parts availability marginal, and not so w=easy to start.

Stihl MS170 - Your planned saw and a great little saw. But I have found that Stihl maint shops charge like a wounded bull.
I still use this if a lot has to be done and noise isn't an issue.

Stihl MSA140C - My goto saw for all odd and small stuff, and carrying in the vehicle, as great in the bush and for camping.
This is battery powered and expensive, but I wouldn't be without it, as it cuts as well as the others and so far almost maintenance free. I recently chopped up most of a tree fallen on a track at a mates place, before he could get his dang, dang machine going.

On my next outing I will be using both Stihls, as in the middle of a paddock on a farm away from any hassles.

Have fun with the MS170.

Rob P

my 88 with 3ft bar

1542087709_img0004.jpg

You will be happy with the 170, I have the 180 and it's a good little saw.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the mini boss's run a different lower profile chain, you can get a bar upgrade while purchasing to run the more standard universal size chain

LORD said:
You will be happy with the 170, I have the 180 and it's a good little saw.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the mini boss's run a different lower profile chain, you can get a bar upgrade while purchasing to run the more standard universal size chain

It's not always a good Idea to fit up the smaller saws with bigger chain, Trouble is the only difference between some models is they make em rev higher IE with the 020 and the 021, and a few others like the 064/640 also became the 650, I like the little saws because they are great for when the work space it tight but mostly I try to use 3/8" but I prefer a saw with 404" because it's speed and raw cutting power.

Ozzieau said:
No fuel or batteries required, just a bit of elbow grease to glide this Japanese made pull saw through any type of timber.
Wow Ozzie, that looks awesome.
Reckon I may have to save my penny's and get one of those bad boys, looks like a food investment

Yeah, I'd love one of the battery powered ones. Watched the vid of the AEG "disguised" one on you tube. That thing rocks.
But they are so expensive.

Should've just picked up one of the Aldi ones a few weeks back. They were reduced to $89..

Ahhh...this is where you start blowing the budget. I'll slowly build up to the extras mate. :)

RM Outback said:
Hard Luck said:

Cheers!!

While your there buying it grab a spare chain, chain sharpening file $50.00 bucks or there abouts for a decent one if you've never sharpened chains before by hand, it'll do the rakers at the same time, their gold no good having a blunt chain that smokes rather than cut. Also grab a few metres of rip cord and a spare fuel filter, and air filter easy to replace on the go to keep you going, better than being cold or stuck.

Latest posts