Chainsaw recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im a qualified arborist. Ive used both stihl and huskies but by personal preference I prefer stihl. Id recommend you do a chainsaw course if new. Itll teach you everything from correct and preventative maintenance to correct use to fuel mixes. Like said above, the 170 mini boss is a great allrounder. You can always take the gamble of a 1 in 20 chance you might jag a good Chinese or no name brand. Anyway mate all the best with your buy and safe use

I got a baumar pro 85cc 24inch .....has done about 15hrs so far and only had to sharpen and retention the chain 6 to 8 times...cost $150 new...i cant complain. Zits been better so far than my 18inch husky. :perfect:

If you are good with little petrol engines, Stihl every day of the week. If you are going to use it 3 times a year and dont know much about mechanics get yourself a corless one. I use my chainsaws every week and now am using my 18volt AEG chainsaw over the petrol for smaller jobs. For the money the little aeg's are great got the line trimmer as well.

1541925749_img_1794.jpg
one on the left is 14 years old and the other is 5 years they get used 3 times a week knocking down mulga for feed on my sheep station so I have a fair idea on how to maintain a saw have had huskys and they don't last anywere as good as a stihl the 2 shops in Charleville wont repair huskys once they hit 2.3 years old so when you say its how you maintain them buddy I have it covered

A carbide blade is also worth using for mulga, ironwood, and general hard gum trees.
Any termite or other deposited dirt in the core is also not great for blade life.
If it was all just vanilla Douglas pine then any blade does good.

If and when you buy one make sure you get one of Stihl's Hard Hat/Visor Ear muff combo's "All in One" or any other brand, because it will save your eyes and ears, they are cheap insurance, saw dust and grit that flies off the saw can take your eye out, Safety first, :Y:

good luck

Ridge Runner said:
If and when you buy one make sure you get one of Stihl's Hard Hat/Visor Ear muff combo's "All in One" or any other brand, because it will save your eyes and ears, they are cheap insurance, saw dust and grit that flies off the saw can take your eye out, Safety first, :Y:

good luck
you left out the stihl safety spats that lock up your saw if you hit them they are magic

savage bitter said:
I hsve started fires from gidgie I am a very good chain sharpener some days 25.30 times a day and I only use a file

Yeah some of that wood kills chains every other cut, not even that sometimes, I have gone through a couple of chains a week in the busy season, that's when the tipped chains come in to their own. :Y:

savage bitter said:
Ridge Runner said:

good luck
you left out the stihl safety spats that lock up your saw if you hit them they are magic

I got the complete suits for winter time, and a set of German chain saw boots. I only wear the gloves if it's cold.

2 blokes came out for the saw race and they had a v8 chevy chainsaw topk the 2 of them to run it was insane after talking to them they were putting togeather a v8 450hp supercharged one hope they bring it out next year

Husky and Stihl are two different work horses. Husky is speed plantation cutting. Hi revving and reliable - generally. Stilh is an arborist tool, a.solid tool. Two different saws and not comparable.

Unless you are doing fast plantation cutting it's Stilh all the way.

Edit: Experience from a previous life.

I have used the oleamac an italian mad job to was an 84 cc job 10 years before it need a repair and that was from the shitty unleaded fuel when it first hit the market, upgraded to the husky professional models the xp 's, why , you could bury them in sawdust and they still ran all other top rated chainsaws choked, so have the XP55, 72,and the 3120 for serious milling and firewood , seriously looking at the electric one from bunnings think its the AEG with the 16' bar the specs match the husky electrics, why electric no fuel issues always runs when you pull the trigger if the battery is charged better for transporting in the car, even better is the 3 handsaw set the bahco flame hardened tips very efficient easy ro store and carry very very cheap and it does the job on timber up to 8' round used to find the chainsaw dealer would only sell the stock they carried husky and the stilhls, once met some country boys who came to have a peek at the milling on the river redgums , they commented on the husky's being used, so I said used a stilh once, your put the chainbrake on and saw thru the timber like a hand saw, the name still comes from still cutting wood lol most of the chainsaw racers i have seen use huskies the 3120 with a 12'bar for ripping the logs in the fence post race you gotta change the jetting if you hard on the throttle chainsaws are no good as a hedge trimmer get a hedge trimmer for that job lots of good feed back if you buy a cheap petrol toy its likely to let you down

I think you would be happy with either one for your purpose.
But I must admit I don't like the tool less chain tensioner Husky have these days, just looks a bit flimsy (never used one like that though).

To me simple means reliable.

Occasional_panner said:
I think you would be happy with either one for your purpose.
But I must admit I don't like the tool less chain tensioner Husky have these days, just looks a bit flimsy (never used one like that though).

To me simple means reliable.

Got to agree OP, I have always had and used huskys worth the extra dosh

My son got a chain self tension husky, 4.5 months later went out and got a larger model with the the older style chain setup, cause he wasted hours trying to keep the bloody thing setup and running correctly

No fuel or batteries required, just a bit of elbow grease to glide this Japanese made pull saw through any type of timber.
I have cut through fallen tree branches and logs blocking tracks and barely raised a sweat.... its the sweetest cutting saw I have used.
1541993352_3e7ef663-0c08-4dde-9017-582c18927698.jpg

It has a 40cm. blade and can be holstered on your belt.
1541993555_954a4565-4159-46a6-ad1c-3663b655e046.jpg

And just as with a chainsaw, dont take these teeth for granted. :poop:
1541993748_52a99b3b-9f43-461c-8c93-70ac45495af9.jpg

Silent but deadly.

Latest posts