Chainsaw recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes my son got one used once now wont start so going to get his money back
not saying they are all like that maybe it was just an one off
an old saying my boss use to say "but cheap get cheap so dont complain when it stops"

Mate, seriously I see that kind of rubbish at the roadside all the time.
I picked up one from the kerb once, got it working and sold it for $80, then did the same with another but kept it.
Ran like a turd and always had carb problems, always a turd to start.
Ended up buying the biggest Husqvarner they make and it's been a ripper for the 5-7 years I have had it.

Buy anything Stihl or Husky and you'll only have to buy it once, all the other crap will need to be replaced/repaired regularly.

Hi Hard Luck

As others have said, Stihl or a Husky would be my choice. Got 25 years out of my Husky and have a Stihl that has not let me down in 6 years. You only get what you pay for when it comes to saws. But if you are not giving it much work, the cheaper one could be OK. Id still be staying with the name brands. Some of the battery saws are quite good for limited work but the good ones are as dear as poison. I have a makita battery saw for camping but it cost me as much as a larger petrol saw. Only wanted it because it was quiet and wouldnt upset campers.

Cheers

Les

Having worked as a Cutter for more than a few years, If you want a saw to take away on your trips in the bush and around the yard then the Stihl 240/260 is a great little work horse, But if you are going to want to cut big stuff then the smallest you would want is the 440/460, for heavier stuff you would need the 660 with a metre Bar, If you are going to go for something like the 660 then get them to fit it up with 404" chain, the smaller chains wear out too soon on the 064/640 or the 066/660. 404" will eat big timber for breakfast. :power:

My picks would be:-

for everyday stuff the 260,
Big stuff the 460 and when it's time to get serious the 660 on 404"

Hope that helps,

Hard Luck
I bought a Stihl MS170 Mini Boss last year for the exact same reasons as you posted. Paid $249. Thought that was a reasonable price for a new one. Looked at second hand chainsaws but anything decent was a lot more.
I particularly wanted something light to trim 10m of Pitostrum hedge that was out of control. It was far cheaper to buy a chain saw and do it myself rather than get someone in to do it.
It worked a charm. Starts easily and light for a petrol chain saw. Thumbs up from me.
Cheers

I have a small Echo 12 inch bar fantastic little saw you can get the same saw with a 14 inch bar part made in japan and assembled else where regards john

you wont be happy with a husky there are 9 chainsaws in my old mans shed 2 are huskys and they are always being fixed you can grab any of the stihl saws bang they fire up and as shep said old fuel still start up and go

Hard Luck said:
Ok. I knew I'd go over budget, but looking at this one now.

https://www.husqvarna.com/au/products/chainsaws/236-e-series/967326501/

It's reduced by $150, though the reviews on it are rather up and down
Can anyone comment on this model?

That's a good semi Pro saw and would everything you want and more, They are a great little saw, I like both Stihl and Husky's, Most people who buy them are either ford or holden type folks, The fact is most of the complaints are from people who prefer another brand, Truth is that Husky is as good as any stihl and don't let anyone tell you different,

Ever watch Axe Men ?? 99% of their saws are Husky's, and they are cutting timber 8,10 and 12 feet across, Like I said Husky's are as good as Stihl and Vice versa.

hope that helps.

J.

savage bitter said:
you wont be happy with a husky there are 9 chainsaws in my old mans shed 2 are huskys and they are always being fixed you can grab any of the stihl saws bang they fire up and as shep said old fuel still start up and go

That boils down to maintaining them, Look after them clean them and treat them with respect and they go on for years, Since the mid 80's I have never had a saw become a door stop yet, Not Once and I have owned most of the top or common brands.

I have run the 390,395 and the 3120 husky's and the still 170, 021. 240, 260, 034, 064, 660 and the 090, 094. plus a few cheaper brands

Latest posts