Just Bought An SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi BnB welcome aboard :D

The top right object to me looks like a rusted piece they use on a bullok train. Forget the actually term but I'd say that.

I'm in Sydney and love getting out and about in the bush. Hit me up if you want a prospecting partner

Thanks for the advice grubstake and Smoky bandit. I have much to contemplate. How does the SDC 2300 handle wet sand?

Thanks for the offer Skip. At this stage I am going it alone but that is not to say I won't take up your offer for a prospecting partner on some of my trips. When I am at that stage I will get in touch. Thanks for your thoughts on the object on the right hand side. :D

Happy Prospecting :D

B n B

Bush n Beach the sdc has a salt mode switch. It handles salty sand no problem. In fact you can take it out in the salt water ( I haven't and probably won't ) as its waterproof to 3 meters. I have found coins under large rocks at 16 inches deep in wet sand.
Mate of mine tried his Xtera on wet sand and it's useless. So he bought a Equinox 800 and loves it. Sdc will find good stuff but also anything else that's metal.

Bush n Beach said:
Thanks for the advice grubstake and Smoky bandit. I have much to contemplate. How does the SDC 2300 handle wet sand?

The SDC will handle wet sand well, but as it is a Pulse Induction gold nugget detector, it has no discrimination or target identification features like the multi-frequency VLF, multi-purpose, coins/jewellery/relic-orientated Equinox, so you could look forward to digging an endless number of hairclips, wire fragments, bottle caps and other trash along with any more desirable finds.

Thank you Wishful and grubstake for your input re the SDC. The information you shared is very helpful. Looks like I will be buying an Equinox although I am still trying to decide between the 600 and the 800.

B n B

1543189948_images.jpg

Hi Mate...That tool top right hand corner could be the handle of a number of tools made from half a horseshoe... sort of a 19th century leatherman. I have found a couple of those both around Moliagul near Dunolly and also around Mogo NSW. It will have been sharpened at one end also serving as a makeshift knive.

Just my thoughts.

Regards Happy Jack

Thanks Happy Jack. I found it in the side of one of the mullock heaps. And you could be onto something as there was no other pieces of metal nearby. Nice piece of gold btw.

Now I am off to the goldfields again on Sunday to try my luck again and will be gone for a few days. Still looking for the elusive gold but maybe this trip I might be lucky. One needs to be optimistic but I am also a realist so I will no doubt come back with some metal treasure (ie birdshot, nails, rusty horseshoes, bullet shells, etc. etc. but something of real historic value would be nice. :drooling:

B n B

Keep working that shallow ground b n b and them mullock heaps move rocks and sticks try to be where others havent . If your getting lots of bird shot its a good sign an sdc hasnt been there or the area hasnt been gone over well , not unusual to get 20 or more shot before a piece of gold pops up and sometimes the other way round . I got my first pieces on a track in a washout down hill from a reef and up hill from workings , with the sdc shallow ground is the key .
Cheers Booney

Hi BnB, I use the prosonics transmitter connected wirelessly to my jabra halo smart bluetooth earbuds.
I then run the sdc on setting 3. When using the Koss headphones I could run on 5 because the lower volume hid the level of instability of the threshold. Since I started detecting in may I've found 50 odd small pieces of gold with the sdc & gold monster, and probably 10 times that in lead and other rubbish.
I've been lucky and hit a couple of spots where others have searched with probably older tech detectors. It takes a lot of time & patience. There have been days where I've found up to 8 pieces and days of only lead.
Keep persevering and good luck.
Adam.

Thank you Booney and ahud68 (Adam) for your helpful tips. I really appreciate them. Being a newbie at this game I appreciate your help very much.

I have just returned from a trip looking for gold in the goldfields but am still only finding lead in all its different sizes including lots of the smaller pellets. Still no gold as yet. :/
One of the places I went to was Hill End and was told that there is no gold left to find. This was told to me by a quite elderly gentlemen with a limp and was very knowledgeable of the whole Hill End District. What Is your opinion on that statement?

It was soooo hot that I had to return earlier than planned. 8.( But I shall return when it is cooler.

B n B

BnB

That statement is not correct.
Plenty of gold around HE. May be small but it is there.

I will be up that way early new year if your interested.

Bush n Beach said:
Thank you Booney and ahud68 (Adam) for your helpful tips. I really appreciate them. Being a newbie at this game I appreciate your help very much.

I have just returned from a trip looking for gold in the goldfields but am still only finding lead in all its different sizes including lots of the smaller pellets. Still no gold as yet. :/
One of the places I went to was Hill End and was told that there is no gold left to find. This was told to me by a quite elderly gentlemen with a limp and was very knowledgeable of the whole Hill End District. What Is your opinion on that statement?

It was soooo hot that I had to return earlier than planned. 8.( But I shall return when it is cooler.

B n B

Hi BnB what depth were you finding the lead at? I was at Hill end at the weekend and only found lead shot and cigarette foil packet tops (everywhere) But My SDC2300 would not pick up a $2 coin at 6". But would pick up an aluminium can at 24". lol
Just curious.

Hi StoneThe Crows. Thanks for your positive statement and yes I would love to go with you. I would appreciate going with someone who has more experience than me. I know I will gain much from the experience as well as the company. How do I contact you?

Hi Goldtrapper. I just missed you as I was there last Thursday. To answer your question I found the lead shot from about 4cm down to roughly about 15cm. In regards to the $2 coin. I used the SDC at the beaches on the weekend and found about 5 $2 coins and couple of $1 coins and a few 50c, 20c 10c and 5c pieces and some of them were quite deep especially the 10c coin which was over 30cm deep but that gave a very soft sound.

B n B

Welcome to the most informative and interesting forum on the web,I have an sdc and didn't find any gold with it for two years,that is until I started to take baby steps as I was walking,and swinging ultra slow,then the gold just jumped out of the ground!My advise is to bury one of those small shots you found and go over it at different swing speeds,you will be syrprised!I'm off to Inglewood on Saturday to hopefully add to the collection,it's supposed to be cool so should be fun!All the best with your ventures and you WILL find gold with the sdc...and once you get used to it the sensitivity can be run at 4 to 5.good luck!

Thanks for the tip dubbles. It sure is a very informative and interesting forum. I have learnt so much from it. I have been thinking of my swing technique and I probably have to go a little slower and take those baby steps that you suggested. I'll also try your tip of burying the small shot to see what happens. Have fun at Inglewood and I wish you good luck as you find more of those precious pieces of gold. :p

B n B

Bush n Beach said:
Hi StoneThe Crows. Thanks for your positive statement and yes I would love to go with you. I would appreciate going with someone who has more experience than me. I know I will gain much from the experience as well as the company. How do I contact you?

Hi Goldtrapper. I just missed you as I was there last Thursday. To answer your question I found the lead shot from about 4cm down to roughly about 15cm. In regards to the $2 coin. I used the SDC at the beaches on the weekend and found about 5 $2 coins and couple of $1 coins and a few 50c, 20c 10c and 5c pieces and some of them were quite deep especially the 10c coin which was over 30cm deep but that gave a very soft sound.

B n B

Sent you PM

Latest posts