GPX4500 Sound Issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was out detecting monday and my 4500 stopped working. The headphones were cutting in and out on one side then bang all of a sudden nothing.

I have been using the koss headphones that came with the unit.

I got the mrs to ring the supplier E E day and sons and explain the problem to them. They told her it wasnt a common problem with the 4500 and that i would need to take it down to ballarat to be checked out.

They stated they may be covered under warranty they may not!!!

This unit is only 2 months old. I am less than inpressed I can tell ya.

Forking out $3450 and the thing lasts two months!!!!

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am assuming its just the headphones but wont know for sure till I can get it down there.

First thing I'd do is do the talking myself after all your the one using the machine and the one who's most upset. The above info is your starting point for quick hassle free trouble shooting, check all your connections coil lead battery lead and headphone lead also have a look at the plug in port's on the machine and battery make sure their secure and not loose. I hope it's not too difficult and time consuming for you, also consider buying a few spares - headphones and heavy duty battery lead you won't regret it when it saves you in the field.

Hi Nothing Great.

Dont worry mate, the problem should be covered by warranty. Electronics can be like that. New gear can fail from time to time. Its better that it occurs now rather than later. I reckon
Youve worn out the machine with all the gold that you have found in the last couple of months. The detector is just telling you to leave some for us other poor sods who dribble over your posts. Get that thing up and going and show us more of the shiny stuff.

Cheers

Les

Can anyone tell me do I need to take it to the original point of purchase or can I take it to Maryborough for example.

Nothing Great said:
Just borrowed a set of headphones from a mate and that was the problem.
Heres hoping they get replaced under warranty.
If they don't replace them and you want another set shoot me a message, got a new set sitting here doing nothing still in bubble wrap.
You are welcome to them if you can wait a few days for them to arrive :Y:

Nothing Great said:
Can anyone tell me do I need to take it to the original point of purchase or can I take it to Maryborough for example.
Should be able to take them to any Minelab dealer.
What I'm not 100% sure on is whether they'll replace them there & then or send them back to Minelab for replacement. You may need to get another set to use in the meantime. Good to have spares - good to have spares of most things I.e. power lead, battery, quick track handle etc. especially if travelling or not close to a dealer. Unfortunately these things do fail.

Hi Nothing Great

I have had two sets of headphones go on the SDC, just took them to The Miners Den in Mitcham.

They tested them and gave me a new set on the spot each time, as they were still under warranty, great service.

The dealer should be able to exchange them for new ones if they have them in stock and sort the issue out with Minelab later.

Good luck.

Regards Anthony. :D

ProspectorPete said:
Nothing Great said:
If they don't replace them and you want another set shoot me a message, got a new set sitting here doing nothing still in bubble wrap.

Thank you so very much for the kind offer. I wouldnt want them for free though I would feel terrible. I Will gladly buy them from you though. I will be in touch thanks very very much.

Hey mate, same thing happened me. I took them back to Miners Den in Bendigo and they were replaced.
I've had issues with other accessories such as the Pro Sonic booster & they were fixed and replaced at 18 months.
Usually the warranty is 12 months for these sorts of things, however because I bought them as part of a bundle with my 5000, they have looked after me beyond that. Their after sales service has been fantastic.

Nothing Great said:
ProspectorPete said:
Nothing Great said:

Thank you so very much for the kind offer. I wouldnt want them for free though I would feel terrible. I Will gladly buy them from you though. I will be in touch thanks very very much.
No need to buy them mate, I'll never use them so you may as well. Next time we meet up you can shout me a beer, I'll rub your belly for good luck and we call it evens :)
PM me where you want them posted and I'll get them in the mail on Monday :Y:

Hi NG,
Should be no worries, had headphones pack up nearly 3 years after purchase on 2 occasions (4500 and 7000)
I called Minelab from the WA Goldfields and they sent out replacements both times without the need to send faulty ones back...

Just wanted to let everyone know that E E Day and sons in Ballarat replaced the faulty headphones this morning without issue.
I was worried after the Mrs rang them they werent going to.

My mother was passing through today and called in with them and the receipt and they swapped them without any problems.

I thought it only fair to pass on the news as mostly people are quick to complain but never complimentary when something good happens.

Three cheers to EE Day and Sons and minelab.

P.S

4 cheers to Prospector Pete for his mega kind offer of a free set. This forum rocks!!!!

Latest posts