Strange GP Series battery question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so I have an old GP 3000 that may well get used on the salt lake soon :)....
Bought it a year ago and it came with a lucky lark battery.
It also came with a 6v SLA battery...
So this arvo, I thought I would charge the 6v just in case the lucky lark decides to crap itself :)
Now silly question: The battery has 4 male pins. The charger (24v) has 4 male pins....How the heck do I make that fit?!! :(!!!

Campfish4x4 said:
Any pics 24v doesn't sound right
Sorry mate...dropped the Zero... 240v!!
Okay have solved it now...As the 3000 has been using the lucky lark, the cord I have is male to female...In the old days it would have been female to female and thus, you unscrewed it from the detector and chucked the male charger into that to charge the battery!
Have bought a female to female lead now so all should work :)
Thanks Minelab gp3000 pdf manual download :)

LOL!! And Kingswood...... believe it or not, I have unplugged a 3000 from its charger......driven 6 hours to my spot to find out that I'd left my lead behind... plugged into that damn charger!!!!

Simmo said:
LOL!! And Kingswood...... believe it or not, I have unplugged a 3000 from its charger......driven 6 hours to my spot to find out that I'd left my lead behind... plugged into that damn charger!!!!
Oh that would not have been a fun day!!!

Good to see ya got it sorted.
Was going to suggest using your power lead.
Another solution is get a couple of female 4 pin aviation plugs - Jaycar have them & a short length of 2 core cable (only need pos/neg - 4 core if you want to make spare power/audio leads) to make up a short charger adaptor cable (if you can wield a soldering iron ok?). Will save you leaving the power lead attached to the charger. :p
I've also made up chargers too - just need to make sure you get the right 240v or 12v power pack (volts/amps) to suit the battery then solder whatever plug end you need on.
Here's a few I've made although these were to suit 8.4v li-ion packs but still 4 pin aviator plugs that can be done to suit the battery:
1541243460_15412432350362.jpg

1541243490_15412432348920.jpg

1541243524_15412432349901.jpg

Did you get the 90 degree plugs from jaycar, I dont know why the power leads didnt come out with them originally

Peko said:
Did you get the 90 degree plugs from jaycar, I dont know why the power leads didnt come out with them originally
Couldn't get the 90 degree connectors from Jaycar (locally anyway) so had to order them from here:
https://www.minikits.com.au/components/connectors/audio-video/microphone/MLF2-4
Our local Jaycar does have the straight 4 pin connectors but doesn't have much of this type of gear in stock. If you're in a larger centre you may be able to get them from Jaycar or similar. In the end I now usually just order most of the gear from Mini Kits as they pretty much have everything I need.
Edit: the 90 degree connectors are pretty fiddly to solder, get wires through bend for 4 core etc. If you get some get a spare or two. I botched my first one (practice one :p ) up but I'm not a great solderer either. After that I was ok. Depending on the cable used you may also need to drill them out to allow some more space.

mbasko said:
Peko said:
Couldn't get the 90 degree connectors from Jaycar (locally anyway) so had to order them from here:
https://www.minikits.com.au/components/connectors/audio-video/microphone/MLF2-4
Our local Jaycar does have the straight 4 pin connectors but doesn't have much of this type of gear in stock. If you're in a larger centre you may be able to get them from Jaycar or similar. In the end I now usually just order most of the gear from Mini Kits as they pretty much have everything I need.
Edit: the 90 degree connectors are pretty fiddly to solder, get wires through bend for 4 core etc. If you get some get a spare or two. I botched my first one (practice one :p ) up but I'm not a great solderer either. After that I was ok. Depending on the cable used you may also need to drill them out to allow some more space.

Cheers for the link,much appreciated, I have fixed my power cords a few times over the years,last time I went to jaycar I could only get the 4 pin straight plugs, the 5 pin for the gpx are like rocking horse shite havent found them anywhere to buy them locally yet

Latest posts