Detectors for Crevicing?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering if many people use detectors for crevicing? Been looking at the Gold Monster 1000 for creice work and shallow bed rock work. Your input would be most appreciated.

Linton.

There is absolutely no reason to think if there's nuggety gold in your crevices, that the Goldmonster would not pick it up...in my opinion. Although mineralisation of the bed-rock might be a factor at times. So just go for it and have fun.

Yeah I'm a believer in crevicing with a detector. Even if you're only detecting lead or or other junk, it says to me that heavies like to drop out there, so you may also find a good concentration of gold flakes. Gold monster, gold bug, or anything that can pick up small junk would be helpful.

Keep in mind though that many pieces of gold in bedrock will not make a sound on a detector until you dig it out, thats why pannng is still valid. Some of these pieces for example are fairly chunky and were only 1 to 6 cms deep. I got them from some bedrock with a screw driver near a road that every man and dog had been over with detectors. Once out of the ground and waved past peoples coils the larger ones sounded off load and clear at a much greater distance than the depth I found them.
1540894218_850ee469-3085-4d34-bfa7-e64aecd98186.jpg

This is where the SDC'S have a versatile use. I've seen first hand of them picking up little tiny pickers.
My gold bug 2 would often play up with the high mineralization in creek beds. Usually on the best spots!

isolation said:
Yeah I'm a believer in crevicing with a detector. Even if you're only detecting lead or or other junk, it says to me that heavies like to drop out there, so you may also find a good concentration of gold flakes. Gold monster, gold bug, or anything that can pick up small junk would be helpful.

Sorry i presumed you meant detect then pan etc.

1540936969_e4901d15-48d4-4e75-b9bf-5a3807415fdd.jpg

Yes - although it helps if the nuggets are big.

Agree with the comment that crevice gold doesnt appear to respond as well as the same bit in shallow ground. Also agree some crevices with SDC size gold are missed by the SDC. You need to work the sweet spots on the coil in as far as you can go and headphones are the go, as the clunking of the skid plate on the rocks can be louder than the target response.

I have often found the panned contents from the crevice that the nugget, bullet or wire are caught in yield more weight in fine gold or sapphires and zircons.

Joshlv said:
I use my gm1000 for this exact purpose and it does quite well, ive picked up about 6 pieces this way with the biggest being 0.35g.
I use max sensitivity with small coil and look for rough bedrock with lots of shallow cracks.

Thanks heaps for that mate. Got the idea from Chris from Vogus Prospecting on youtube. Finally bought the GM1000 last week so keen to have a crack next weekend and see how we go.

Latest posts