4x4 wanted

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all ,Im looking to buy a 4x4 I want something with low km Im not really sure what i want if your thinking of selling your 4x4 let me know what you have..Im happy to spend up to 15k It will b my everyday driver as well as prospecting vehicle ...

Probably may need a little more info for people to go on to break it down a little ? What is your idea of low K's ? Configuration ? > 4WD - AWD - Auto - Man - Diesel - Petrol - 4 Door - 2 Door - Wagon - Ute - Tray Single Cab - Duel Cab ? That's before you start on brands and model, some being good and others with known issues. :perfect:

A low Km 4wd for 15K pretty much only lets you buy a Suzuki jimny. There are a few other soft roader options that don't have solid axles like hiluxs etc but they are pretty limited with durability etc.

Really depends on what you want to do with it

Thanks for your response guys.. Im thinking a single cab or dual cab its only my mrs and I ..so Im looking for a Ute not really fussed if petrol or diesel as long as its reliable as Im planning on going on some far prospecting adventures I dont want anything to thirsty..auctions is a great idea I will definitely look into it and iv always been a fan of Sierra and jimny but bit to small to use every day...cheers :Y:

Would be wary on auctions, especially if buying diesel as most times you cannot drive vehicle. Sometimes you cannot even start them. What appears to be a "good buy" will quickly sour if you then find the vehicle needs a 4K injector pump repair, or a crook ABS master cylinder at $3300 to rectify. :eek:
Here is an example of what you can get for way under 15K ........................... NP 2005 Pajero EXCEED $1100 ( as clean inside as it is out) .................. with blown head gasket. Put a complete reco motor in and some rego for around $5500 and you have a vehicle with a brand new motor on the road for under 7K total spent. Yes depends how handy you are with a spanner, or a mate who is ;) but basically you can have a vehicle like this with a GPZ7000 in the boot for your 15K spent. :Y:
Also brought another similar vehicle that was $1500 and the reason for sale was that owners walked out one morning and it wouldn't start, so they brought a new car :eek: They had several so called mechanics look at it and issue could not be found ................... apparently. They should have tried using the spare key as all the problem was, is the immobiliser chip in the key they were using had failed. New spare chipped key $130 problem fixed or you could have just ran with no spare cost then $0 :playful:
True story and one of many such stories. Point being there are some great bargains out there so don't be to quick to throw a lot of money away :Y:

1540761909_paj_12.jpg

1540763003_paj_22.jpg

Here is a $450 dollar vehicle back on the road for under a K spent. ( 99 model Exceed with rear diff lock included)

1540763057_paj_23.jpg

Hey thanks Bogger you have given me a lot to think about Im really keen to get my 4x4 but I will take your advice and not rush into it hopefully theres a bargain waiting for me lol cheers :Y:

You might be able to pick up an older 4x4 in good nick with a few extra km on it for cheap.
I've got an old Nissan patrol 2001. Just clocked over 324,000km but she purrs along the freeway. Saying that I change the oil quite often and keep the injectors clean. These were meant to be a problem motor, blowing out the 4th piston.. punching to much air through the turbo.. cracked head all that stuff.. but if you drive it right most cars will look after you.

Like Blogger said don't be to keen to splash your cash

you might be able to pick up a decent Toyota prado or hilux for that price. I just did a quick search on car sales and found a 2006 single cab diesel hilux with 154000 KM for $15000.

Bogger said:
Would be wary on auctions, especially if buying diesel as most times you cannot drive vehicle. Sometimes you cannot even start them. What appears to be a "good buy" will quickly sour if you then find the vehicle needs a 4K injector pump repair, or a crook ABS master cylinder at $3300 to rectify. :eek:
Here is an example of what you can get for way under 15K ........................... NP 2005 Pajero EXCEED $1100 ( as clean inside as it is out) .................. with blown head gasket. Put a complete reco motor in and some rego for around $5500 and you have a vehicle with a brand new motor on the road for under 7K total spent. Yes depends how handy you are with a spanner, or a mate who is ;) but basically you can have a vehicle like this with a GPZ7000 in the boot for your 15K spent. :Y:
Also brought another similar vehicle that was $1500 and the reason for sale was that owners walked out one morning and it wouldn't start, so they brought a new car :eek: They had several so called mechanics look at it and issue could not be found ................... apparently. They should have tried using the spare key as all the problem was, is the immobiliser chip in the key they were using had failed. New spare chipped key $130 problem fixed or you could have just ran with no spare cost then $0 :playful:
True story and one of many such stories. Point being there are some great bargains out there so don't be to quick to throw a lot of money away :Y:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1540761909_paj_12.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1540763003_paj_22.jpg

Here is a $450 dollar vehicle back on the road for under a K spent. ( 99 model Exceed with rear diff lock included)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1540763057_paj_23.jpg

A man after my own heart!

I picked up my current car for a song as the check engine light was on...

The problem was a dead o2 sensor! :D

Thanks guys much appreciated all your input I will do some research and let you all know what I end up buying... those army vehicles look great but Im thinking they could be thirsty..but will consider all your comments..cheers

1544338395_ad_0_1544230821258.jpg

1544338408_ad_1_1544230821265.jpg

2011 PK XL 4x4 Ranger. Turbo diesel, Never been offroad. Its been the wifes daily for school runs. Rear canopy. Has dual battery set up with DC/DC charger thats never actuallly been used. Rear drawers for shopping, canopy, tow bar, air con, carpet, electric windows, Cooper AT3 wheels, takarta airbags changed out. Service history. 170,500kms. $17500.00 ono

Thanks Mackka, wife wants something a bit more smaller for school runs. I would love to keep it as a prospecting only car but its a waste for 1 big trip per year.

BradCorrie said:
Thanks Mackka, wife wants something a bit more smaller for school runs. I would love to keep it as a prospecting only car but its a waste for 1 big trip per year.

Nice rig Brad someone will snap it up, why don't you put it in the for sale threads and see how you get on.