COIN HOARD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday fellas found grandads coin hoard . Mixture of florins , shillings , 6ps , 3ps and some of the briitish coins that hung around while Australias predecimal currency was being circulated out. Cointainer was in bad shape leaving the coins exposed to the water table and natural salts in the ground . Here are a few pics , florins at the top , shillings in the middle the rest down the bottom . Fair amount of broken coins . Have tried to clean a florin or 2 with citric acid but I think a better way to go would be a coin tumbler with detergent and brass beads . Here are the pics
1539938728_4678c34d-27f6-45be-af9b-4c253347ad80.jpg

1539938821_05b35f14-e56a-4214-85dd-645254242935.jpg

Interesting - only one penny on the right , a German mark And a British florin.
1539939191_ba595132-d467-4b8e-96c4-ef2f53b3f6c4.jpg

1539939192_282be567-c104-4cab-aa94-30bfa23405ce.jpeg

Most dates covered with the shillings , there is a 32 florin a few Canberra 27s. Will try the coin tumbler on some of the sturdier coins first and see how they turn out .

7.62marksman said:
Danny13 said:
Yeah have to admit , not too much skill involved there Jaros :)
come on mate i see so much skill there
it must have taken ages to line them all up like that
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah took a while marksman , the smaller coins , just too many so dumbed them in semi random piles on the bottom there for your amusement :playful:

Dave law said:
So I gather they were buried? So what is the story behind them being where & how. & youre version of how you found them. Or did I miss something. Cheers Top score too :Y: :Y:

Would also be interested in any backstory on why they were buried, I hope some of the rarer silvers clean up well. :Y:

Goldpick said:
Dave law said:
So I gather they were buried? So what is the story behind them being where & how. & youre version of how you found them. Or did I miss something. Cheers Top score too :Y: :Y:

Would also be interested in any backstory on why they were buried, I hope some of the rarer silvers clean up well. :Y:

Grandad became a hoarder after world war 2 , hid everything with what I heard

Danny13 said:
Any ideas apart from using a tumbler to clean the coins up would be welcome . Or should I just leave them as is ?
What I did with bulk silvers was on a piece of alfoil sprinkle some bicarb put coins on top sprinkle some more bicarb & cover with warm water with some dishwashing liquid & top with foil. Repeat in layers pressing firm. Soak for a few hours. For the final clean rub with a paste of bicarb or a Dremel with a nylon brush. Hope this helps. Cheers.

ChrisD said:
What condition is the 32 Florin in?
Too hard to tell , think it would clean up alright , it does not have any flattened or worn areas ,
no major scratches , it might grade vf to ef . But I will get that one professionally cleaned .

Thats good news, very sought after coin. Even if you dont sell, it fills a big gap in your coin collection :D .