Beekeeping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MegsyB007 said:
They look like caffeine addicts going nuts over a hit to me! :)

I said to my wife that maybe I should add a couple of coffee Pucks to the frog pond... Ummmm while I love the sound of frogs ( all sized) the big green tree frogs are my # 1... But some people get annoyed at their calling....

I could just see a couple of green fellows all hyped on Coffee :) having a shouting match.

1540102913_1e921112-3224-4205-aa0f-78c6d168763d.jpg
1540102976_30a34a97-5200-4796-bc20-667b98648eb9.jpg

This is a native hive a gave to my best mate when he got married, didnt want to part with it but he looks after it and said his bush lemons and the rest of his garden loves them

Yep. We get AAs, TCs, and Hoskingskis
Made the hive out of second hand blue gum from an old aero plane hanger and soldering iron to burn the names. Coated with linseed/apis wax melted. Rescued the hive from a pile of logs about to get mulched from a road that got pushed through the bush near home

Lesgold said:
OK you two, educate me. Im a southerner with little knowledge of the natives. Talk to me.

There are a few native bees here on the south coast, you just need to look around and ask. I've even seen them in huge numbers.
The Lantana weed is destroying our forests.

Thanks for that Trusted. Thats why I asked. You may be able to help out with some of your knowledge. Always keen to learn good stuff about anything to do with the bush.

Cheers

Les

3 main ones that use hives AA TC and TH - no I am not going to use their full names... This is a Forum after all LOL.

Many solitary bees that also do not sting...

Do a search for Native Bees of Australia... But the link below is quite good... Bee aware they are Adictive so bee kind to out natives :)

https://www.aussiebee.com.au/beesinyourarea.html

Thanks again AM. Between Straya and yourself, I can see that you may be creating another hobby for this bloke. The little black bees that I was watching a couple of days ago tri- (forgot the rest of the name) occur naturally down as far as about Bega. So there is a chance for you Doug. They look like great little pollinators. May have to talk to you guys in a bit more detail in the future about how to look after them in a climate that has cooler winters.

YES, my mate hakes hives from Hebel due to insulation properties and min water issues...

Timber is great but you need good timber and thick to help insulate and long term weather...

Volume of the hive has implications and do you want bees or do you want honey as well... More variables... And only a couple hundred gram from most hives... But it will cure EVERYTHING LOL.. stupid media and people on the band wagon...

A healthy hive and live with it = many many years of enjoyment and pass on the the kids, teh hive could well out last you :) and cost sweet F$%@# all over the long run.

( I have made a Hive from Thick Glass and then encased in a removable timber cover - great for education of kids and people)

Bee Aware many people out there selling and promoting and some get very passionate if not a bit tin foil hat. They seem to think they know best, but I am yet to be convinced as never known any one that can speak or understand Bee talk... The bees are survivors and us humans are vastly different and teh bees take advantage..

But people on Gum Tree and FB will sell a hive with bees from $350 to $900 and some are just a rip off and others will fail as teh hive is weak... Like many things, buyer bee aware..

PS. A hive can take many months to totally fail... As it is about Bee numbers and the Brood and the Queen. On average 50 days for a Bee to hatch and the foragers are usually those towards the end of their life and that could be 50 days - thus 90 days from laying to getting outside. So without good numbers and good stores and a Active Queen, a hive can sort of appear to be going ok for a few months... But it could well die...

Long story short - If the hive has not been stable and established for 5 to 6 months and in good condition = Step away...

Lesgold said:
Thanks for that Trusted. Thats why I asked. You may be able to help out with some of your knowledge. Always keen to learn good stuff about anything to do with the bush.

Cheers

Les

There was a segment on River Cottage Australia where a local here taught Paul how to make an easy beehive especially for the natives and how they don't sting and the bonus of honey and pollination.

https://www.lifestyle.com.au/gardening/the-basics-of-beekeeping.aspx

Had a mate who had a big native bee hive in his cinder block house. They seemed to enjoy the thermal stability of the building and made a big stain on his wall. They got in through a redundant fixture drill hole.

Thought Id post a pic of a few of my hives. Most of the hives I built from recycled, untreated timber. The majority of the frames were also made from timber off cuts. Cast concrete bases elevate the hives to keep out pests. A slip on, insulated gable roof protects the hive from the weather and keeps them a little warmer in winter and cooler in summer.
1540194744_ad0de8a5-1bd4-4db9-8afd-38ba48fbde78.jpg

Beetle traps are built into the hive bases.

Latest posts