N SILVER mark on old fork

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Very new to metal detecting and this forum.
I have an old silver fork that my wife found. It has a mark on the back N SILVER
Does anyone know exactly what this means or where I can find out what it means please?
Thanks in advance
Hakka

Thanks for the welcome.... Could be that, there is a really faint gold/brassy colour on the edge of the handle. Maybe is plated and has started to rub off?

Hakka said:
I have an old silver fork that my wife found. It has a mark on the back N SILVER
Does anyone know exactly what this means or where I can find out what it means please?

It's Nickel Silver, a common material used for making cheap cutlery and other such housewares before stainless steel became available. There's no actual silver involved, just the silver-coloured nickel/zinc/copper alloy. It's often used as just plating material on a brass object, usually labelled EPNS for "Electro-Plated Nickel Silver".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

grubstake said:
Simmo said:

No, sorry but that's all about actual hallmarked silverware - nickel silver is an alloy that contains no actual silver at all.
Correct - "Nickel silver, Maillechort, German silver, Argentan, new silver, nickel brass, albata, alpacca, is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. Nickel silver is named due to its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver unless plated".

Latest posts