Entry level detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. Long time reader 1st time poster.
Im interested in getting a detector but there is so many around i dont know where to start. I want to go into the gold fields around bendigo and ballarat but i dont wanna spend big bucks as i live 3 hours away from decent detecting areas so i wont be able to go out much.. ive looked at the mine lap go find and a bounty hunter lone star but im just not sure. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Cam

Welcome to the forum cammopat I dont think a go find will be any good in that area and I have not had any thing to do with the bounty hunter
Roy

Welcome Cam. I think it all depends on what you can afford as the area have been worked over by many people. If possible go for a PI Detector as they go deeper as well as deeper into the pocket. Watch out for cheap Chinese copies.

the gofind series are a great detector for the money, i have both a 60 and a 40 , the newer models now have been released, i recommend the 40/44 :cool:
very little different to the 60/66 but a fair bit cheaper :cool:
simple to turn on and detect, ideal as a detector to learn and master and will tell you if you really like detecting enough to update , i personally went from the gofind 60 to a CTX3030 (huge learning curve) and still use the gofind when traveling on planes and the like as it is so easy to pack small into luggage :Y:
in a nut shell you wont regret a gofind purchase :inlove: :power: :party: :party:

Jaros said:
Welcome Cam. I think it all depends on what you can afford as the area have been worked over by many people. If possible go for a PI Detector as they go deeper as well as deeper into the pocket. Watch out for cheap Chinese copies.

Thanks mate. Ill have a gander into PI's

ctxkid said:
the gofind series are a great detector for the money, i have both a 60 and a 40 , the newer models now have been released, i recommend the 40/44 :cool:
simple to turn on and detect, ideal as a detector to learn and master and will tell you if you really like detecting enough to update , i personally went from the gofind 60 to a CTX3030 (huge learning curve) and still use the gofind when traveling on planes and the like as it is so easy to pack small into luggage :Y:
in a nut shell you wont regret a gofind purchase :inlove: :power: :party: :party:

Yeah i looked into a gofind 44 as there on special at BCF at the moment. How do they go out in the sticks with heavy mineralized ground?

cammopat said:
ctxkid said:

Yeah i looked into a gofind 44 as there on special at BCF at the moment. How do they go out in the sticks with heavy mineralized ground?
not to bad, but in saying that it will suffer , they are not really a gold machine , more suited to coin/relic hunting , they do have very good discrimination at the highest setting
there are many folk that have made some amasing finds using these machines :power: :Y:

Im about a 15 minute drive to Eldorado. I suppose i could try and find a few relics there i guess. Maybe a gofind is a good choice

the idea is dig every target (as neatly as humanly possible :power: an fill the hole :cool: again neatly :perfect: ) when new to detecting to identify what made the particular tones :cool:
with practice you will have an idea what will come out :Y:
more advise is to get a handful of different coins, throw them down and teach yourself what tone and tid indication you get, practice is fun, research is more fun, then finding good things at the end gz is the icing :cool: :cool:

Latest posts