Tumbling Barrel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a large home made tumbeler which works quite well on larger stones 25mm to 50mm rough.
Trouble is this material smashes the S#!t out of the barrels and they soon become unusable.
I have tried several commercially avaliable plastic containers but the same result.
PVC drain pipe (around 200mm to 300mm) diameter is very expensive by the time you price up end caps, threaded caps etc.
Anybody else doing something that works?

Get hold of some poly pipe irrigation pipe that size has very thick wall you can make a bottom out of hard wood and screw through pipe to hold it in then silastick to seal same for top and use a screw on lid from plastic tub to have access then slightly tilt tumbler away from lid side message me your number and we can have a chat cheers Muk.

Thanks Muk.
I had not thought of making a barrel from various pieces.
I did look a doing it all from polly plumbing bits but this worked out surprisingly expensive.
I am restricted by this site as to what i can do by way of reply to you, i will see if i can contact you privately for a chat, but dont think bad if me if i cant work ir out.

5 more posts and you will be able to PM Muzza....
My mate has used 22gal drums with old conveyer belt inside and that worked surprisingly well.... If your Rocks are real sharp when you first start, try chipping away the sharp bits before you start, that may help.... Rubber sheeting inside on all surfaces works well too... If they chew up rubber at say 6mm try 10mm next time as there is a sweet spot...

LW...

No worries Muzza when you can message flick me one and will catch up cheers Muk.

Gilly. 47
Do they seal the sides in any way? If so do you know what they have done?

1540441587_truck_tyre.jpg

here is one.

Ok. Thanks, that is some food for thought, I reckon sides on a tyre would be necessary else over time all your lapping/grinding medium would eventually splash out.
Easy to put sides on i think only need one side fixed and the other opening somehow?

The large poly pipe works well tyres look good but you need a large set up second hand yards you will pick up poly pipe offcuts cheap.cheers Muk.

Latest posts