Getting gems cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could point me in right direction for getting my stones cut. Im from tasmania and have a few different ones I'd liked cut. New to this side of things so any pointers are appreciated. Thanks :D

From what I've been told the cheapest way is to send them to Lamberts in Thailand. For anything big or special there's a couple of guys in Tassie.

Thanks for that Dave. And Pat I'd appreciate that. Is there a specific weight the stones should be before there to small?

The gem shop in beaconsfield will cut anything bigger than about the size of a pea provided there's no flaws. Not sure about the ones in Thailand
I mightbe heading up to yhe north east this weekend if the weather plays the game.Only been up there for a couple of days beforebut it's a beautiful spot.

Dave79 said:
The gem shop in beaconsfield will cut anything bigger than about the size of a pea provided there's no flaws.

Nope, Shane doesn't facet anything, anymore, and never did much faceting anyway, mostly cabbing and carving for Shane. He is a Jeweller not a facetor.

Fire P - Is there a specific weight the stones should be before there to small? - anything under 3 ct rough is going to encounter problems.

Awesome thanks pat. I'll weigh them up when my ebay scales get here. Dave i was up northeast on the weekend and found plenty. Pretty much exploring all creeks and rivers between braxholm to moorina. Hard to find the couple hrs spare to travel from burnie down there but hopefully get back down soon as theres plenty of area to explore

1539037017_9251e437-77bd-4244-b3e5-5305ce06ed49.jpg

Lamberts mate , smaller than fly shyte.
Have just sent my second batch away.
They return rejects no charge

Gem in I thanks. What are they like to deal with? Easy to send your stones over without much hassles?

My father still sends a lot to Lamberts - there can be a bit of a turnaround time (usually several months) but everything has come back ok. I cut his better stones for him.

Lamberts will cut things too small to be worth a local cutters time so if you have a heap of littlies then they may be a good choice. As others have said, if you have anything bigger and better, I would strongly reccomend getting it cut locally. Yes it will cost more but if the cutter lives in the same country as you and you aren't satisfied then you have some redress - if they have gone to the other side of the world and not come back then there isn't much you can do. I heard of a lady who found a large, clean aquamarine crystal and sent it to Thailand - the cutters were not Lamberts apparently. When it came back, it appeared to be the slightest shade different. So she sent it to a local gemologist for testing. The result - synthetic green quartz. She was dudded out of a good stone with no hope of being able to do anything about it.

The quality of Thai cut stones can vary from more or less ok to woefull. The basic principles of faceting as we know them here can be ignored simply to get a heavier stone. They don't seem too concerned about "windowing" stones - we don't do that here. They also tend to be fairly run-of-the-mill designs and most things seem to come back as a round or oval brilliant.

Again, Lamberts quality seems to be better generally. But I think dad has still gotten back windowed stones from them.

But if you have a bunch of little 1-2 carat rough stones, you may find Lamberts satisfactory.

Sounds like how i was thinking lefty. What would be the best way to find quality gem cutters in tasmania or Australia? Do we have any on this forum that cut gems?
Sorry with all the questions :)

There's a few of us here - myself, Pat, Sneaky Cuttlefish, Wally, Dihusky and a few others possibly.

Sorry mate, I have to rush out, I'll try and answer your questions when I get back.

Cheers

Thanks lefty. I would much rather send my better gemstones here in Australia so if anyone on here can offer there services or suggest someone else i would greatly appreciate it :D

Firepanther said:
Thanks lefty. I would much rather send my better gemstones here in Australia so if anyone on here can offer there services or suggest someone else i would greatly appreciate it :D

FP I can recommend Lefty, I have bought one of his stones and had it set for my wife, jeweller complimented the cut and quality.
Cheers
Manpa

Thanks manpa. I don't think my hands could do such beautiful work but i may try in the future

Wishfull said:
Lefty. Can you help me with my ignorance, what is a windowed cut gem ?

A windowed gem is a gem in which the culet facets (and possibly more) have been cut below the "critical angle" for that type of stone - the angle at which that material no longer reflects light but allows it pass straight through.. The result is that looking straight down at normal veiwing angle, you can simply look straight through the bottom of the stone and out, perhaps seeing your fingers or the gem grabbers underneath. Usually, a lot of the other pavilion facets are above critical and the effect is a halo of brilliance around a "dead eye" in the centre of the gem - also referred to as a "fisheye". In Australia, this is not acceptable - the entire pavilion must reflect at normal veiwing anlges.

Deliberately windowed gems have been cut simply to retrieve maximum carat weight and the proper cutting angles have been ignored in order to achieve that aim.

The critical angle differs between different gem materials. Manpa's amethyst was cut with a culet angle of 42 degrees: amethyst is a form of coloured quartz and the critical angle for quartz is around 40.5 degrees, while the critical angle for say sapphire, is around 34 degrees. An amethyst with the pavilion "fanned out" to 40 degrees - half a degree below critical - would show the windowing phenomenon while the sapphire would still reflect quite adequetly.

Here are some examples of windowed gemstones.

Manpa said:
Firepanther said:

FP I can recommend Lefty, I have bought one of his stones and had it set for my wife, jeweller complimented the cut and quality.
Cheers
Manpa

Cheers Manpa :) :Y: I do try to get a stone as close to perfect as possible - if you're going to work on a beautiful (perhaps rare) natural object, you should do everything in your power to do it justice :perfect:

Latest posts