1940s Army Maps with gold mines

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jwruck. I'm very interested in any Victorian maps you have. How do I go about getting them, or any copies of them? Thanks.

I Wonder when he might get back to us all,

Even if only one gets them,

Scans them and pass them on to others,

Goody

Who would throw them in a bin? That's 75 year old history - surely they could have found a home for them rather than throwing them out! So glad you saved them Jwruck!

I think from all the responses Jwruck worked out the value of what he actually had in his hands ;) .

ChrisD said:
I think from all the responses Jwruck worked out the value of what he actually had in his hands ;) .

In best Rodney Rude voice ...."I hate that, I really hate that ....... Yeaaahhhhhhh"

Hi all,
I just did a bit of a search online and military maps are available. It was just a quick look, but here's a link to the spot to find Qld maps. The key shows a little crossed pick and shovel symbol for mines... bishop.slq.qld.gov.au. Type "military maps" in the search box and you'll see them from number 9 onwards.
Good luck! :cool:

And here's an interesting series of old maps produced by the Great Britain War Office. They don't show mines exactly, but they do have things like "Ruin", "hut", "dump", "quarry" marked on them, that could be interesting to detectorists to find. Old river courses are always interesting too!

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-234339118/view

Select the green "interactive map index" then in the top right corner select "list view" to find the ones you want. They're not in any sort of state order - just keep looking through them all!

Included are maps from the Australian Army as well, which do have mines marked on them.

Please note: This series is not complete - there aren't many maps for Victoria or SA.

Cheers,
Megsy

Thanks Megsy, you are a legend! :Y: :Y:

Downloading >800 mb map now from NLA, when it finishes I am going to overlay it in Google Earth and I am going to have a heap new detecting sites!

You're welcome Dron and good luck!
Looking forward to seeing your finds.
Cheers,
Megsy

Latest posts