"Outback Opal Hunters" Tuesday nights on 7Mate

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soooo , anything like outback subset yet , here it is
1538472533_5d6779a8-e34c-45b8-b811-5907917de0f8.jpg

1538472533_ebdfc6c5-1a33-4951-bde7-810261f8c5e8.jpg

Outback Opal Hunters looks like it's going to be an interesting series, particularly given the three different locations that it's set in. The outback opal hunters from Episode 1 are novices Dan and Justin, hoping to strike it rich in Coober Pedy SA; brothers Mick and Pete Cooke, long-time miners chasing black opal at Lightning Ridge NSW; and old hand Col Duff and his keen but less experienced offsiders Aaron and Greg, looking for boulder opal at Opalton in Queensland. :Y:

Did not realizes just how much Opals cost.....

Until I watch that show last night,

Knowing me I would find a Opal and think it is just crap bit of rock with some colours in it, :lol:

grubstake said:
Sounds like a potentially interesting new series starting tonight @ 8:30pm WA time: :pickshovel:
Rookie Opal Hunters Dan and Justin leave their families behind, risking all to chase an opal fortune. Staking a claim on a legendary site, will their luck continue or come to a costly end?

It's a great show but last night's episode is a re-run of the first season screened last year. I thought it was going to be a new season (2) but that's not the case. Oh well for those of you who haven't seen it keep watching it's interesting and feeds the fever :Y:.

StoneTheCrows said:
Watched the Opal Hunters last week and as i hadn't seen it before thought it was pretty good and will keep watching.
Hope it is on again tonight..

It is: :Y:
Justin and Dan tread a dangerous path deep underground, chasing a seam of opal in the supporting walls of the mine. The closer they get, the more danger they put themselves in.

I was almost hesitant to watch the series at first as we had a pre-screening up here at the Ridge last year and sort of knew what to expect. A tad frustrating at times in the same vein as the various gold prospectors' series.

As far as the stated $30,000+ per carat for black opal at the start of the show goes, it could possibly come from a buyer desperately paying around that mark for a 1 carat stone that was cut from a piece of opalised wood from a field called Three Trees situated on the Coocoran opal fields back in 2000. The stone was desperately wanted by a collector and somehow that price must have been agreed on to get the seller to part with it? I knew both the buyer and seller of the stone, but whether or not it's 100% true I still could not even say? The dream is nice however.

In reality, we'd be embarrassingly laughed out of the buyers offices asking anywhere near those prices. During the 90's when opal was really selling well and the carat price was at it's strongest it was commanding between $6000-10,000 per carat for the best of the best gemstones, I'm talking 2-6 carats and up with high domes, good pattern and predominately red in colour. Those sizes make perfect ring stones and generally sell very well, though not so much these days due to the market downturn in the mid 2000's. I've yet to hear of a return to those prices, though there's always the odd exceptional stone showing up here and there so you never know?

We hear so many over exaggerated things in this industry that you become somewhat numb to the ridiculousness of it all after a very short while. :lol:

A bit of light entertainment never goes astray though. :Y:

Latest posts