Super glue insted of stitches ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Doing some fencing a couple of weeks ago, anyway sliced my hands up with the barbed wire because I was in a hurry and foolishly didn't bother finding some gloves to wear. Most cuts heeled but some of the deeper cuts in the thicker skin kept opening up over and over which stung a bit. Tried band aids to no avail so being too much of a whimp to sew myself up with dental floss squeezed the wounds together and applied a couple of drops of super glue, pain gone almost instantly and cuts are almost heeled now.

Don't use it too often, contains isocyanate which builds up cyanide in your body much the same as mercury does.

Here is a pic for you, although its almost heeled now. The black s
1537613492_20180922_195708.jpg
tuff is two week old grease sealed in with the glue. Will keep that in mind dave79 :Y:

My youngest daughter cracked her head when around 2 or 3, so the Dr pulled some of her hair from each side of the wound and superglued it - just using natural stitches.
It worked a treat.

I had a basal cell skin cancer cut out of my calf muscle 2 weeks ago and because the skin is a bit tight there the Dr.used the strongest gauge of stitch available,steri strips and superglue.Well the stitches all pulled through the skin and the steri strips fell off,the only thing holding the wound together was the glue.Little Eldorado fell and hit his forehead on the coffee table a few years back now and to save him the trauma and to do a nice neat job of it they put him under in theatre to stitch and glue it,you can hardly see the scar now.

All sorts of cuts are glued in Drs surgeries and emergency departments all over Australia every day. Been around for quite a while.

Need to be a bit careful with DIY and some wounds should be stitched (deeper wounds), some might be better stapled (long, shallow wounds) and some should actually be left open (animal bites or particularly dirty wounds).

And be mindful of tetanus status.

And as always, take internet advice with a grain of salt :D

I noticed that my Dr.stitched the wound first to bring it all together and then glued it.I am guessing they do it this way to stop too much glue getting under the skin and maybe causing infection.

I sliced my toe a while back, kept opening up again when using band aids and other padding. Glue worked a treat, stopped splitting open and healed pretty quick and neat.

Gem in I said:
sub-contractor heard of superglue for a cut but only had silicone close by and wrapped it BAD INFECTION.
Bahahaha ! Silicone ? :lol: and I thought superglue was dodgy. My cuts were deep but they were in thick skin so didnt bleed much at all by the time I used the glue.

:lol: we still call him implant guy. that was his reasoning. superglue is fine they use it at our local medical centre.

I wish they had used it on my legs, They made a mess of my stitches some of the areas 3" long are opened up, I must have well over 150 in one leg and about half that in the other. :argh: :N:

And who ever did the sewing were crap at it because I can't get one of my legs straight and where they are gaping they got infected so I have been pouring Dry cooking salt in the wounds to clean em out and after about 30 minutes a wash it all out, Stings a bit but it is getting better I think ?

Weeellll, I've heard of superglue being used quite a bit, but when they put my chest back together they not only used stitches but also stainless steel wire! Actually you'd never know if you weren't told. Looks a lot neater than my leg. :eek:

Phoenix76 said:
Weeellll, I've heard of superglue being used quite a bit, but when they put my chest back together they not only used stitches but also stainless steel wire! Actually you'd never know if you weren't told. Looks a lot neater than my leg. :eek:

The first thing I did when I got home was run the pin pointer over my chest to see what they had done to me and to check if they left any tools behind, Lol,

It never beeped and they used dissolvable stitches so I guess they got that bit right.

Latest posts