Buried Treasure at Ballarat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A Sydney man traveled to Ballarat to recover a hoard of 6000 Sovereigns that his father had hidden years earlier around the Mt Pleasant area.

I wonder how much more to this story there is.
1537438082_nla.news-page000015229240-nla.news-article139873796-l3-e084bfb13d7cd6c53ffb8649347f1c86-0001.jpg

what if you were the poor bugger who found that how could you live with your self :8

You have to be keen to dig a hole 15 feet deep to bury something - I am not at all clear what the reason was or what the grandfather had to gain (the grandson had a lot to gain given that gold first increased in value about the time he was going to dig).

"The sovereigns were said to be part of a bank robbery in the early days"

goldierocks said:
You have to be keen to dig a hole 15 feet deep to bury something - I am not at all clear what the reason was or what the grandfather had to gain (the grandson had a lot to gain given that gold first increased in value about the time he was going to dig).

I agree - if the story is true, I reckon the burier would more likely have made use of an existing mineshaft or well (perhaps the water source for the swimming pool?)

grubstake said:
goldierocks said:

I agree - if the story is true, I reckon the burier would more likely have made use of an existing mineshaft or well (perhaps the water source for the swimming pool?)
The bit missing is why Grandpa didn't dig them up later, or why dad didn't do it if the story and location was handed down all the way to the grandson. It has the smell of the "mahogany ship" and other potential myths about it. I know an identical story about sovereigns buried by a farmer on his farm near Orbost for when he returned from war (he didn't). However someone I knew found a leather pouch full of sovereigns on his farm near Kinglake (reliable)

Have to do more digging for the truth. I wonder if there may still be a decendent around the area who may have more of the back story

Latest posts