About Aussie slang

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just want to make it clear that I was not offended by any post, nor did I complain or have complained about ANY posts on this forum.
My comment about the thread going to poop was about the mods "censorship".

We all know aussie slang can sometimes offend some.... I enjoy being called 'this n that'.... But it is a Public Forum and some went overboard as I have done sometimes..

All good on my side Dave... I was enjoying that thread Cobber.. :Y:

LW....

All good Dave

I learnt something from it.
Talking to some other members about some (possibly aussie military) slang or sayings.

Have you heard of CDF - we used to use it as a daily bit of our langauge in pussers.
Common Dog F**k - common sense

As in use your CDF.

You heard of that or use it in the Army?

Remember bogger did agree to be banned by being told he was heading for it and he said do as you please, it was a good thread uptil the emplosion :Y: i have no issue with mods cleaning up the offensive language as my 5 year is starting to read posts with me :D
I like the fact peoples mates back each other up but it deffinently added to the thread being locked as it was quite agressive in my opinion.

I think the mods could simplify their jobs by not explaining their actions on the public forum and just pm the naughty kids.
I also find it super frustrating when a mod locks a thread then another mod adds their two bobs worth and relocks it :/ i had something to add to but it wasnt possible .
So here it is
1537435938_images-104.jpg

Or maybe
1537436056_images-103.jpg

StoneTheCrows said:
All good Dave

I learnt something from it.
Talking to some other members about some (possibly aussie military) slang or sayings.

Have you heard of CDF - we used to use it as a daily bit of our langauge in pussers.
Common Dog F**k - common sense

As in use your CDF.

You heard of that or use it in the Army?

Yep CDF was a very common term!

Dirk was another one, being "dirked" meant picked to do a crappy job. A dirk being a little dagger that Scotts wore on their kilts Being "dirked" meant you were stabbed in the back, volunteered.
Lots of slang we used that's not common out side of the ADF.

Anyone know what the origin of 'gibbers' is. As in the little iron stone rocks in the pilbara.

And then there is SNAFU.
No need to comment on that one.
Aussiefarmer, I put a comment in when the thread was locked.
My bad and sorry about that one.
I really think it needs to rain a bit so every one can get out and about instead of
sitting around growling about a screen in front of them.
People, Can we get back to being normal happy go lucky folk's again please. ?
Hate conflict.

Tathradj said:
I really think it needs to rain a bit so every one can get out and about instead of
sitting around growling about a screen in front of them.

Try Rocks, Minerals and Crystal Hunting.... Don't need water, and it still gets you out n about... :Y: :koala:

LW....

Hey davent,
I thought that your thread was "really grouse mate".
Its a pity that we ar ed all a little bit human.
Anway lets all keep on keeping on.
Cheers Steve :Y:

ctxkid said:
when you use a Tyger, you don't notice dry hard ground ;) :cool: :cool: :playful:
I've owned the cub and I use the snake and you definitely notice hard ground .Your hard ground must be soft mate.Or your just alot stronger. :) :Y: :beer:
Also I think we on the wrong thread.lol

Smoky bandit said:
ctxkid said:
when you use a Tyger, you don't notice dry hard ground ;) :cool: :cool: :playful:
I've owned the cub and I use the snake and you definitely notice hard ground .Your hard ground must be soft mate.Or your just alot stronger. :) :Y: :beer:
Also I think we on the wrong thread.lol
:)
no TJ said we need to wait for rain :eek: so we can go digging not growling at the puters :8 :8

an yeah i am quite beefy ;) :playful: :playful: :power: :power: :power: :power:

Oh its only the moon again 4 days til its full lets get past it without a banning or anyone going to the naughty corner
Pagan P

Dave79 said:
Anyone know what the origin of 'gibbers' is. As in the little iron stone rocks in the pilbara.
Gibber is an aboriginal word for rock. They are usually rounded silica pebbles, many are from old river beds now dried up.

Gibber, rock- and pebble-littered area of arid or semi-arid country in Australia. The rocks are generally angular fragments formed from broken up duricrust, usually silcrete, a hardened crust of soil cemented by silica (SiO2). The gravel cover may be only one rock fragment deep, or it may consist of several layers buried in fine-grained material that is thought to have been blown in. A gibber is generally considered a result of mechanical weathering because silica is almost inert to chemical weathering.

Simmo said:
Gibber, rock- and pebble-littered area of arid or semi-arid country in Australia. The rocks are generally angular fragments formed from broken up duricrust, usually silcrete, a hardened crust of soil cemented by silica (SiO2). The gravel cover may be only one rock fragment deep, or it may consist of several layers buried in fine-grained material that is thought to have been blown in. A gibber is generally considered a result of mechanical weathering because silica is almost inert to chemical weathering.
Yes, true that they can form by multiple methods. In some areas they are rounded and represent river pebbles, in others they are angular and consist of broken-up duricrusted surface (essentially palaeosol material, sort of old soil). The latter seems more widespread. In many cases both can apply (eg broken up from old river deposits that had been cemented at surface). As NASA says of the Sturt Stony Desert "The geology of the area is complex. Gently deformed and duricrusted Cretaceous Bulldog shale of marine origin form the gibber plain uplands of the Stony desert. Eocene and Miocene fluvial and lacustrine sediments have also been weathered and duricrusted" Fluvial = river, lacustrine = lake". Dating of the desert varnish on the river gravel gibbers has been used to date the minimum age of the rivers that formed them.

My previous reply was a bit hasty and influenced by the fact that on the part of the Sturt Desert where I have been working they are river gravels,

Latest posts