Cash transactions becoming obsolete

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We all know it's been happening for some time now.
But last night on the news a coffee shop has moved to cashless transactions..How long before this becomes the norm for all transactions.
I feel that in 10 years or less even the easly found $1 or $2 coin will be a rare find..Cherry picking coins will soon be a thing of the past :lol: 8.(

In my service business, I very rarely take cash these days. In fact it costs me more money to take cash as against eftpos. The rates for eftpos for business are quite low.

This verses the time taken to go to the bank to deposit cash makes it much better for me to go cashless.

Need some sort of detector that instead of coins can find all the credits that will get lost in cyber space. Some predictions. No cash will mean no privacy. The poor wont be able to avoid tax, the middle and upper middle class will have the crap taxed out of them and the super rich will continue not to pay any. So that will remain the same I guess.

steelPHASE said:
In my service business, I very rarely take cash these days. In fact it costs me more money to take cash as against eftpos. The rates for eftpos for business are quite low.

This verses the time taken to go to the bank to deposit cash makes it much better for me to go cashless.
your in business and you don't like cash right find that hard to belive $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

227dick said:
steelPHASE said:

your in business and you don't like cash right find that hard to belive $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Cash with no recipt :D :Y:

I wouldnt of carried cash in my wallet in easy 12 months or so. I get no extra fees on my account using PayPass/tap and Im all for it.
Times are a changing...and personally, for the better.

The government would like nothing better than for it to go cashless, the cost of printing and minting money is quite a costly business. But more importantly if there is no cash, big brother can watch and monitor every transaction you make.

Hoarding your stash under the mattress becomes a futile exercise if they outlaw cash and all your loot become worthless overnight, the only option then left is to go back the barter system which funnily enough, the government also hate as they can't tax it.

Since I had three teenage daughters I got out of the habit of carrying much cash - it's easier to show an empty wallet than to say no!

Even the wife used to assault and rob me in the morning before going to work, although more accurately the charge would be "demand money with menaces".

Now the girls are grown up and don't live at home, but still cost money.

Incidentally, I suppose the chances of a $5 coin replacing the note are now slim.

1537421051_neap_cashless.jpg

It is hard to describe how underwhelming it was for me to find this card after a big event I went to hunt at last year.

The event was beach horse races and there were many thousands of spectators, all sorts of fancy drinking marques as well as the regular food stalls etc set up on the sand with the beach accesses closed down and a captive, tipsy crowd. Unfortunately the whole event used this NEAP cashless thingy whereby racegoers got an armband with a chip of some sort embedded in it and had to load up $$ on it to then attend the bar, wave their arm and supposedly the price is deducted from the balance. This begs the questions how you know what balance is left on your armband, how do you know that you aren't billed more than once as you wave your arms around gleefully as your horse comes in first as you buy a round of drinks and what happens to any credit left at the end of the day? The answer to the latter I suspect might be that NEAP scores well out of forgetful drunks.

I found a few of the arm bands in the sand the next day as they had thin wires running through them. Lots of buried alcohol cans and 1 lousy 10 cent piece. If this is the future then it is a sad one :lol: :lol:

Interestingly the beach horse races were not held this year after running for 5 or 6 years, the organisers "are examaning their options". Maybe cashless wasn't so good after all?

Latest posts