Rookie looking for gold in Walhalla

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

My name is Mick, I am taking the family for a camp in Walhalla and my little one has been hassling me to look for some gold, I have purchased a pan and shovel and I am considering to buy a little sluice, I was wondering if there is a store that sells them in the south east Melbourne area? Also was wondering how I find out if there are areas around Walhalla that I can or can not do some digging, maybe a map of areas that we can go. I don't plan on finding a motza, it will be good to spend some time with my young one and if we get a speck or two we will be happy. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mick

@XIV Kane will know some area's down there I am sure!
My old stomping ground when I was a Whippa Snapper 40 years ago!!

There are plenty of areas to go, but most of the tracks don't open till the end of month.
In town you have stringers creek, that is on the side of the road all the way though town, the locals are happy for you to do some planning, but not to run a sluice or highbanker.
There is still some nice gold to be had.
But please stay out of the old mullock heaps, they are now on the heritage listings, and are out of bounds.
The pub there on town is always good for a feed, and the shop owners are always happy for a chat.

XIV said:
There are plenty of areas to go, but most of the tracks don't open till the end of month.
In town you have stringers creek, that is on the side of the road all the way though town, the locals are happy for you to do some planning, but not to run a sluice or highbanker.
There is still some nice gold to be had.
But please stay out of the old mullock heaps, they are now on the heritage listings, and are out of bounds.
The pub there on town is always good for a feed, and the shop owners are always happy for a chat.

Thanks for the advice, I haven't purchased a sluice yet so will only do some panning. Really looking forward to experiencing everything the area has to offer, I am suspicious this will be a spot we return to many times as I'm told one trip isn't enough to see it all. Thanks again

Latest posts