today i went fishing and caught

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres my catch from a few days ago off Rainbow Beach..Went out chasing mackeral, didnt turn a reel and so we had to hit the small reefs before home..Not a bad way to end a shitty day trolling lures...And yes that coral trout was bloody yummo.. :perfect: :D
1554036975_55444913_2123028581065751_7194367411062046720_n.jpg

1554212266_screenshot_2019-04-03-00-28-36-1.jpg
Geez I envy you guys in Qld. Here in Victoria all we catch are barely sized flathead. My mate and I went out a few days ago and caught 33 flathead (almost the bag limit for 2 people) and after filleting I was able to half fill a 2 litre container of milk.
When I did go to Cairns 2 years ago, I caught about 10 fish and they were all whoppers !!! I had to freeze them solid wrapped in newspaper and glad wrap so that I could sneek them on the plane back to vic. I'll see if I can find a pic of one of them.... Damn file too big Ill have to trim it down a bit.
There finally got it uploaded... what sort is it?

pretty sure that's a golden trevally mate, can become a real nuisance when chasing spano's or bottom bashing. They are a very fun fish on poppers in the shallows. Queenslanders are spoilt in the fishing department, we even get your prized snapper up here in the cooler months.

edit: its really a bludger trevally

hi cq gold digger' i think bludger trevally is also known as tea leaf trevally, i could be wrong,same fish called other name's all over australia, 'can make it a bit hard for visitors :beer:

Thanks for the info guys.... The only really good tasting fish are, coral trout, small trevally, spanish mackeral and OUR snapper. That thing I ate was not really that good, but the fight they put up was phenomenal. I really didn't mind pulling in just the heads thanks to the sharks you have up there. And yes, that's Yorkies knob and the bloke who took us out charged $200 for the short trip.Bit of a shark himself. I'll see if I can find more pics.

1554464217_1.jpg

1554464217_2.jpg

Hi sand surfer these were some of the others I caught, is that a coral trout or something else? It didn't taste that good either, so I'm thinking it wasn't.
The fish on the bottom was the worst out of the lot to eat. Sure wish I had my smoker back then. :awful:
The skipper called it the "mother inlaw fish" A bit fell of my fork and it actually bounced it was that rubbery

1570872405_img_20191012_202402.jpg

Redfin season is back, tried out soft platics for the first time, I shit you not, first cast.

I honestly thought I was dragging through the weeds close to the bank,, turns out the cheeky bugger must have only been about 4 feet from the point I was standing on.

First one Ive had in 3 seasons, always something getting in the way to throw a rod in. Tasted like :poop: which was unusual, really muddy for the first time ever.

Cleaned up the rest of the shallows with these trio of bad news on the worms.

1570872702_img_20191012_202418.jpg

Still any fish is better than none.

Cheers.

Gunna said:
OldGT you should have eaten the carp first would have made the redfin taste like salmon :lol:

I reckon carp and salmon taste the same :lol: you can tell I'm not big on fish flavours :N: love catching them though :Y: