Rocker box attempt #1 & now #2

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockerbox attempt #2

With the few changes I wanted to make it was easier to just build a new box. I went with the aluminium angle on the mat held down with smaller angles again because it was cheap.
I chose a melamine coated MDF board rather than raw to last a bit longer against water. I also used a crap load of glue and silicon.
the sample shelf is now steeper so it can still function if I decide to increase the angle of the catchment area.
To finish off the endgrain im going to give it several coats if linseed oil.

1381550995_img_2013101255563.jpg

1381551033_img_201310129353.jpg

1381551067_img_2013101244217.jpg

As for the hopper box I couldnt be bothered making another one. So im going with the old one.
And as a fluke, the hopper box holder is a perfect size for sieves. Might be worth having a crack at gemstones with it ;)

1381551277_img_2013101229345.jpg

Also managed to get an old army back pack to strap it to for easy transport down the creeks and rivers. (Think we all know where I nicked the idea for that ;) )

1381551440_img_2013101255675.jpg

Now just need to finish the coats of linseed oil and its ready for testing.

Thanks mate.
I had to put the project off for a week or so because ic work and other commitments. But hopefully I will have it tested and fully functional by next weekend.
Wouldnt mind taking it to tuena for a day

Great looking bit of gear mate, I can't wait to hear how it performs. Is there much weight to it?

Mate i remember reading something about oil making gold rise in the water (please someone if you know of it say so) or maybe im just dilusional as always but may want to check before oiling the wood
Greglz86 said:
Rockerbox attempt #2

With the few changes I wanted to make it was easier to just build a new box. I went with the aluminium angle on the mat held down with smaller angles again because it was cheap.
I chose a melamine coated MDF board rather than raw to last a bit longer against water. I also used a crap load of glue and silicon.
the sample shelf is now steeper so it can still function if I decide to increase the angle of the catchment area.
To finish off the endgrain im going to give it several coats if linseed oil.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/598/1381550995_img_2013101255563.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/598/1381551033_img_201310129353.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/598/1381551067_img_2013101244217.jpg

As for the hopper box I couldnt be bothered making another one. So im going with the old one.
And as a fluke, the hopper box holder is a perfect size for sieves. Might be worth having a crack at gemstones with it ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/598/1381551277_img_2013101229345.jpg

Also managed to get an old army back pack to strap it to for easy transport down the creeks and rivers. (Think we all know where I nicked the idea for that ;) )

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/598/1381551440_img_2013101255675.jpg

Now just need to finish the coats of linseed oil and its ready for testing.

I have no idea about that lol but the oil will only be on the endgrain of exposed board and completly dry and cleaned off long before any gold is going near it.
Im definitely no expert on it but I think it will be fine :)

gtsjeff said:
Mate i remember reading something about oil making gold rise in the water (please someone if you know of it say so) or maybe im just dilusional as always but may want to check before oiling the wood

I've heard the same thing but never tested it myself. I've also heard of guys burning in steel pans for this very reason. When you think about it though, oil rises sticks to anything and rises to the surface when added to water, so the theory behind it is quite plausible IMO.

Nugget your correct with that burning of pans. An old prospector from Uralla showed me how to prospect back in 1973, metal pans were covered with oil to stop them rusting in the shops. The new pan was heated in a fire to (1) burn off the oil and (2) when cooling it off it would be plunged into water to hold the black colour from the heating. Gold colour would stand out against the dark background better. cheers John.

I've also seen that on many posts all over the net. It's called "seasoning the pans" and talks about removing the oil from new pans, including plastic ones as well. All of them state that after a couple of uses in the field, the residue would have been greatly reduced and it would be fine to use it.

The abrasive effect of sand and gravel going over the rockerbox will eliminate any surface oil on the riffles within the first 15 mins of use. In the overall picture oiling the wood will make no difference to the performance and would extend the working life of the box considerably.

Cheers Wal, :)

Hey Greglz86, are you planning on releasing the design plans / specs?

I didnt actually bother making plans. Everything was just off the top of my head. But I will draw some up and post them if you like.

The classic design of a rocker, I bet many good thoughts and the occasional smile has been rewarded to a gold miner beside a lovely waterway.

Stay clear of oiling the timber it will get into the mat I used epoxy paint or water based enamel to seal the timber just give it a few coats. I am playing with carpet and expanded mesh for the bottom run as it seems wash the lights off better. 90% of the gold should be held in the top tray in a rocker box if it's working correctly.
Cheers
Skip

Greglz86 said:
And keep your comments about my lawn to yourself lol. Ive been busy ;)

Don't worry, someone once said to me the true test of a diy prospector is the state of his lawn, i reckon you officially qualify :lol: