Rocker box attempt #1 & now #2

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greglz86

Greg Anderson
Reaction score
So I had the shed to myself for the morning and decided to whip up a quick rocker box just for the hell of it.
Basically I made this to be disposable until I come up with a design I'm happy with.
There is no science involved in making this. I just have two goals. That is it cost bugger all and works.
I think I stuffed up the angles a bit. I just slapped it together at what I thought would be ok but the end result is a 1:10 pitch that I think is to shallow.
I won't be putting a water pump upto it. I'm just going to feed the water to it by hand.
The top box is removable to get rid of wast easy enough and underneath it is the classifier I'm going to use. I found the classifier on the side of the road. I think it's a old chimney cover.
I'm happy with the legs. I the radius on both are the same so it balances by its self.
I now need to come up with something for riffles. I did have the bottoms of old milk crates but they weren't wide enough. I thought about wals bread crate design but I think they might be too high. I might just see if I can get some expanded mesh but what do you guys reckon?
Total cost so far
$15 for the Mats.
1379739821_image.jpg

1379739850_image.jpg

1379739901_image.jpg

Thanks :) not much to it really. Just typed a few numbers into a computer. Watch it cut itself then slap it together.
All up including cutting the mats about 1 hour 45 min

Not too shabby for a "quick" rocker box.
I've seen riffles also made out of wood for these on the net. Might be worth a look.
Cheers
Chris

Thanks chris :) Do you know what type of timber they used and roughly how high they were? Did they fix them to the box and cut the mat around them?
Sorry for the questions. But Timber for riffles would defiantly be the cheapest option for me.

If the angle is too low, you could make up a secondary "base" that the current box sits (and rocks) on that increases the angle - there is one in use in a couple of the early episodes of the tv series "Goldfathers" that illustrates this concept well. That will also enable you to use the rocker box anywhere you wish, rather than having to have firm, level ground for it to work...

CNC's certainly make prototyping a breeze - I am very jealous :/

To do that I will need to pull the shelf out and make it steeper. It's also at a 1:10 pitch. The whole thing is only 1000mm long so if I raise the back just 100mm the shelf will be flat and useless.
But I do like the idea of the base so it can rock anywhere. Back to the drawing board ;) lol

The plans on that page look like my grandads old one :)
I have decided to Make some riffle bars out of aluminium angle. Put in some brackets to hold them down and increase the angle of the shelf.
Then I will water proof it and hope for the best because I'm pretty happy with it so far I think.
I brought home some dirt from tuena to test it in the backyard. I will let you guys know how it performs :)

Hi all,

Great looking piece of gear Greg! The old 49ers would be proud. I'd love to see this thing in action one day.
Keep us updated on the changes, particularly with the riffles. The guys here have some serious knowledge when it comes to proven designs should any advice be needed.

Hope it works a treat for you and brings home the gold. All that'll be needed is a good nickname for it :)
Kindest regards,
Shauno

Looks good Greg. I agree the angle under the classifier needs to be around 40 degrees
Sll the plans i have seen for rocker boxes use half inch riffles about six inches apart.. that is for a half inch classifier..
Good luck. Look forw.ard to your results update!

Well that's something else :D
I would love to see some pics of the internals of that. Or possibly see it in action ;)

Looks like a great way to break up clay there Outback. I guess your ready the downhill bobsleigh if an when global cooling kicks in also... :lol:

Nice looking box mate I would stay away from expanded because it needs correct water flow to function properly I.e the heavies should move upwards under correct flow. I think the rocker concept requires square wooden slays from memory few inches apart I would build it in a frame and use clamps to hold it down on top of your mat the Angie looks fine to me

Thanks golddig and tone
I will steer clear of the mesh.
I'm heading to bunnings this afternoon to pick out something for the riffles. I should easily find something around the 1/2 inch mark that will work.
Need to get my arse into gear and finish it because I think the Missus want to go back to tuena again.
I love what you have made outback. The only downside for me with something like that would be the weight. Wouldn't be fun to carry that at all ;)
Greg

Greglz86 said:
I love what you have made outback. The only downside for me with something like that would be the weight. Wouldn't be fun to carry that at all ;)
Greg

Thanks for the compliment Greg , it's not that heavy ( made of 1mm plate ) was thinking of fitting two wheels so it could hold other gear and work like a pram :)

OB .

Latest posts