Is it a coin?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTKooAu

Grant Westbrook
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi PA people, Long time no talk, I've been busy being retired. :p
I went to Rapid Bay SA about 12 months ago for a swing through the camping grounds. Very quiet day it was, mid winter.
There must have been a hoovermatic in before me, as the ground was very clean, certainly not contaminated with spendables or pre-decimals.
I gave the sand along the beach a bit of a crack, and came up with this disc, hidden deep in the sand, way up above hi water mark, and covered with a sleeper used to delineate the beach from the caravan park.

1535787031_s1.jpg

1535787031_s2.jpg

1535787031_s3.jpg

1535787032_s4.jpg

1535787032_s5.jpg

It is approx 32mm dia - weighs around 12.5 grams, is not attracted at all by any magnet. There are deep gouges on both faces and I can't discern any pattern or markings.
I had forgotten about the find until recently going through a tin of odds and ends.
I have had it soaking in olive oil for over three weeks with no discoloration bleeding into the oil, and certainly no cleaning effect to the disc.
It does have a distinct green/blue copper hue to its darkness.

Any thoughts???, I imagine if it is a coin it will be toast underneath, but can anyone suggest a way to remove some of the corrosion?

Cheers all.
It is sort of crusty, though not like a toasted penny....Electrolysis sounds promising. I think there are plenty of examples on PA. As time is now my friend I'll see if I can put something together.
Let you know what, if anything arises from the ashes.

A question for the educated.
Majority of online info suggests the coin connects to the negative. Also suggests that in the absence of a multimeter, when the alligator clips are immersed in the solution, the negative should fizz. Well I get what I would call "fizzing" from one clip, and larger bubbling from the other clip. Is this bubbling normal for the positive?
I tried the coin on both clips. One way produces a blue deposit on the "coin", the other way makes the solution go dirty fairly rapidly.
I am using a hardened steel allen key as the sacrificial anode.
Any suggestions / comments before I go too far and "steel plate" the coin?

The solution should go real dirty, even black - shows the the electrolysis is doing its job removing all the gunk from the coin. If you are getting toning on the coin, then the anode is probably the wrong way around and you may actually be coating the coin.

TTKooAu said:
Majority of online info suggests the coin connects to the negative. Also suggests that in the absence of a multimeter, when the alligator clips are immersed in the solution, the negative should fizz. Well I get what I would call "fizzing" from one clip, and larger bubbling from the other clip. Is this bubbling normal for the positive?
I tried the coin on both clips. One way produces a blue deposit on the "coin", the other way makes the solution go dirty fairly rapidly.
I had the same trouble with a two Dollar coin and a 20 cent piece.... i put my device in the bin .
See mypost on comical cleaning experience

Rattail-1927 said:
TTKooAu said:
I had the same trouble with a two Dollar coin and a 20 cent piece..turned mine a copper/pink colour .. i put my device in the bin .

Rattail-1927 said:
TTKooAu said:
I had the same trouble with a two Dollar coin and a 20 cent piece.... i put my device in the bin .

Cheers Rattail, yeah I read your post before :lol:
I'll keep investigating

Goldpick said:
The solution should go real dirty, even black - shows the the electrolysis is doing its job removing all the gunk from the coin. If you are getting toning on the coin, then the anode is probably the wrong way around and you may actually be coating the coin.

Thanks Goldpick.
I will set it up again tomorrow and let it clean for 5 minutes and check the results / repeat.

I read a bit more about getting rid of crud from coins, and one article about heating the coin up a bit and then quencing it struck a cord.

So I put the "coin" on my gas stove burner and warmed it up for only about 30 seconds.
1536705304_oc1.jpg

Then into the bowl of water
1536705278_oc2.jpg

The first piece of "shell" falls off to expose some colour
1536705278_oc4.jpg

Pieces of the shell easily com off in my fingers.
1536705278_oc5.jpg

and voila - a "coin" :eek:
1536705278_oc6.jpg

The thickness is now approx. 0.5mm and the diameter is less than 30mm, so I am guessing it used to be a penny, back in the day.
1536705278_oc7.jpg

I have put it back in olive oil, to gently remove the remaining oxidization and crud. There is zero hope of any ID, but my money is betting it was a 1930 penny, and so it shall be labeled in my collection!!!
1536705278_oc8.jpg
:perfect:

Latest posts