A SAD NOTE FROM A MATE IN WA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araratgold

Rick
Reaction score
I just received this from a mate I trained in prospecting many years ago who drove from Darwin to WA for a prospecting trip. He was 170km north of Meekatharra.

All I can say is that this would have to be one of the lowest scumbag acts I have heard of in a long time :

" my trip was a disaster from the get go, everything went wrong. What topped it off was coming back to camp to have 4 slashed Tyres and most of my gear stolen including my new Honda generator spare detector all my chargers etc,The cops are not holding there breath on finding anything, I was in the Meekatharra area.
Id been planning this trip for 18 months, spend all my savings on equipment and fuel. All I come home with was 14grams and a very unhappy wife, I found more gold in weight with you when you showed me how to use a detector in 3 days then in 3 months in WA. "

Luckily my mate had a satphone in his backpack, or this could have been life threatening ! As it was, it cost him a small fortune to get towed in from out there.
He stated that there were two sets of tyre tracks, and 4 lots of footprints, so 2 vehicles and 4 blokes.

Rick

That would have been devastating to come back and find someone's been in your camp while you're away and done that, glad your mate got home safely, I've gotta camper trailer and have been looking at those trail cameras you can setup then you'll no if anything's been poking around camp while you're away :argh:

I got a few of those Foxtel Go packages for free from Telstra. So made sure I got the Discovery and History channel.
Been chaining Aussie Gold Hunters and there was an episode where solo detectorist Rick Fishers came back to his van to find it had been raided his spare coils and even his car battery had been pinched along with other gear.
Must be the Wild West out there, there seems to be nighthawks in every episode as well.
I dont think I would want to be a solo operator out there, even teams seem to have their fair share of trouble. :/

sister and brother in law were doing central WA then Perth and back always camp in the bush never had a problem went in to Perth and stayed in a park so did their washing and spruced up only to find the washing was gone they decided it was safer out bush so left straight away
Pagan P

Rick that's just plain shite mate, it's not just the value of what is stolen but how it stuffs the trip one had planned :N:

Bogger said:
Rick that's just plain shite mate, it's not just the value of what is stolen but how it stuffs the trip one had planned :N:

Yeah mate, stealing his stuff was bad enough. But disabling his vehicle in an area where there is no mobile reception could have ended in his death, had it not been for his satphone which luckily was in his backpack with him !

Rick

Araratgold said:
Bogger said:

Yeah mate, stealing his stuff was bad enough. But disabling his vehicle in an area where there is no mobile reception could have ended in his death, had it not been for his satphone which luckily was in his backpack with him !

Rick

Yeah stealing is bad enough but leaving some one stranded even lower. Last trip my trail cam caught a snooper ................... actually even went inside my camper. Turns out I had met offender several days earlier in the field and also knew where he was camped up. Not allowed to say on the forum what followed, but lets just say the calibre of the conversation sorted it.

I often wonder if the people who commit these type of crimes which in effect put people's lives in danger have any second thoughts about what they have done. I would think they give no thought to the consequences but would be the first to bitch and moan about any injustice done to them.
Thankfully this did not end in tragedy. Let's hope they are caught.

Manpa said:
I often wonder if the people who commit these type of crimes which in effect put people's lives in danger have any second thoughts about what they have done. I would think they give no thought to the consequences but would be the first to bitch and moan about any injustice done to them.

I doubt they give it a second thought, they haven't got the brains to.

Gpx5000 said:
Manpa said:

I doubt they give it a second thought, they haven't got the brains to.

oh i reckon they have the brains as why would you slash someones tyres if it wasn't to slow them down so you can easily get away especially in the middle of nowhere they didnt count on the sat phone tho they just dont care its part of our true psychopathic society unfortunately the worst part is these bas :poop: aren't even trained

Reminds me of a time a couple rolled a car over near our remote job site. They were in a bad way and were flowen out by flying doctor. All there personal belongings were strewn through the bush. We thought about packing it all into boxes and moving it to camp for safe keeping but then thought perhaps we shouldnt touch other peoples stuff as they were local and thought one of their family members might come out to collect it. Pity we didnt though because by the next day all there gear was stolen including the womans jewellery from her grandmaa and other sentimental things. Some of the best and worst characters I have met have been in remote places.

UPDATE :

I have just received some very good info, including vehicle descriptions from a prospecting forum member who had 2 vehicles lurking suspiciously near his camp, and driving into camp when they thought no one was there, about 100km north of Meeka. Since I don't believe in coincidence, this may be who did my mates camp over, and have passed this info on.
The power of spreading this over the net may get these scumbags caught. Thankyou all !

Rick

OMG, how dreadful.

I fear this every time I have left camp in the past for resupplies and as with day trips in particularly where your gone for most of the day, when on the return track and turning into camp full of anxiety.

The stories coming out year after year are just getting worse with brazen and brash acts.

I'm having some signs made up to place around camp and also invest in motion detecting sensor cameras as this will be some kind of a deterrent and a little piece of mind.

Also chain and lock everything down.

Disgraceful at the least!

Latest posts