New to the game, heading to Sofala.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Evening, Im new to the gold hunting hobby,

First off i will say i have not yet found gold. Have mainly been looking around Temora NSW. Not that ive tried very hard. Have found plenty of rubbish and bullet fragments which gives me hope that the gold monster 1000 has the ability to find gold.
I am heading to Sofala this coming week for a couple of nights camping.
Plan is to try my luck at panning. I also have a Gold monster 1000 which i will give a swing around as well.
After any tips or tricks for the area or what to look for. Im headed to Darwin for the month and camping trips along the way where i could get lucky for a few grams or even the bigger nug.
Is there much water in the Turon river at the moment? I imagine it would be pretty low.

regards
Dave

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum cant help with tips as Im new to the hunt as well but I have found the people on this forum very helpful. I am also going to Sofala towards the end of September so will be reading your replys to hopefully find some tips on places to go myself.
Happy Detecting Terry.

Surf the upper Turon above Sofala. Iits wet give it a miss, as the first leg(ate to gate) of it can get slippery. Aftr ,that ive even seen small low cars on it!
After the 2nd gate about a km on, there is a nice litttle spot on the creek side to camp. High enough to be safe from a flash flood.
This spot is just below Palmers Oakey creek. Not far beyond this spot the creek is fenced of for a bit, with an old sign say " private property etc.
Hint to navigating the first leg is to take note of any possible pull over/ passing points in case you come across another vehicle head on, single lane track.
Why there isnt a sign saying " use channel 21" ... is beyond me!
Anyhow .... you can get to sunny corner or capertee from this road.
State forest permit required in sunny corner but.

Welcome Whiskey Throttle, no help to you but Sofala will become a hunting ground for me to before long as I have moved further away from Golden triangle. Had some success in gt but not good with researching especially NSW, hard to find info I think. Cootamundra based now, have tried spots at Gundagai and Temora without success.
Cheers Jamie

Cheers stonethecrows. Didnt end up getting there today due to a hangover but heading out tomorrow. Staying a few days so plenty of time.

Gday leadshot ill let ya know how i go.
Yea ive been in temora last couple days at my parents place. Lots of places to detect but alot of rubbish. Mostly reef gold so miggt be hard to get with a detector but im working on getting permission of land owners who habe the old mines.
If i get any luck ill get in touch with you and can maybe come over for a look aswell and teach me some stuff.
Heard junee has some decent spots and in young theres a river and couple creeks that can get panning on.

Hi WT, done a trip to Sofala last few days (work was quiet so had time off). Didn't find any gold, place is very daunting. Old river stones turn up everywhere, even right up on the hills. Drove across to Sunny corner and meet a bloke there that got some specks panning in Mitchell creek. I only detected but think I might get into panning.

Sorry for late reply have been very busy.

So sofala ended up being really good. Started digging in the creek the first day i was there and was approached by an old fella who was camping there who told me where to dig and how to pan properly. Ended up finding 3 nice specks that day. Then found a nice spot the next day which gave me another 12 to 15 specks from one bucket of dirt.
Will be heading back there alot more now that i know what to do. Have tested the small gold i have on the detector so i might run it over the dirt im digging also.
Alot of fun

Latest posts