You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Wally69
01 October 2018 07:44 pm

Looks like the ball hit the bat for six yikes nice hunt cool

1 user likes this post: Guessologist

Guessologist
03 October 2018 08:18 am

Cheers, it was certainly a welcome surprise! 2/3 of the coins came up good with cleaning, although the date of the 1897 penny has completely altered to patina and chipped off a bit with cleaning. I'll have to change my method a bit to see if I can loosen up the dirt a little before using the steel wool pencil.

Went for another quick swing yesterday at a different site but just turned up cupboard knobs, 30's spark plugs and a crushed metal teaspoon/tablespoon measuring cup with R T & Co. embossed on it, which I assume is Rocke, Tompsitt & Co chemists. Good potential for better finds if I can pick through the iron trash.

1538515016_capture.jpg

Equinox 600 / White's GMT / Go Find 40 . Combined age of predecimals found so far: ~16,666 years (151)

9 users like this post: Wishfull, 7.62marksman, numpty, ctxkid, goody2shoes, caparobertsan, golddiggerart, Blackwolf, Rockhound

Guessologist
04 October 2018 09:49 pm

A good one today! I finally found the mother in law's 40 year old gold necklace pendant (wedding day present) that has been in their front lawn for the last twenty years. I've been having swings here on and off all year, the lawn is littered with aluminium and brass rubbish (and an exploded sprinkler head?) so it's a slog with the GMT but I got there in the end. There's still a gold earring to find in there as well if I'm going to maintain that #1 son in law position!

1538650106_gold.jpg

Equinox 600 / White's GMT / Go Find 40 . Combined age of predecimals found so far: ~16,666 years (151)

15 users like this post: Sandta, Mackka, goody2shoes, Dave79, caparobertsan, Goldpick, numpty, golddiggerart, 7.62marksman, Gunna, Blackwolf, Smoky bandit, Rockhound, Danny13, TTKooAu

ctxkid
05 October 2018 07:55 am

Guessologist wrote:

Cheers, it was certainly a welcome surprise! 2/3 of the coins came up good with cleaning, although the date of the 1897 penny has completely altered to patina and chipped off a bit with cleaning. I'll have to change my method a bit to see if I can loosen up the dirt a little before using the steel wool pencil.

grab one of these, and foof the coin as soon as it comes out , if ya leave the dirt on till ya get home it's 10 X harder to get of thumbsup
1538686424_wp_20180710_12_27_52_rich_li.jpg

...................................................Such is life........................................................
Oldest Copper coin 1799 left seated half penny, Oldest Silver 1834 Shilling

5 users like this post: Mackka, goody2shoes, 7.62marksman, Guessologist, GreenRiver

Sandta
05 October 2018 07:56 am

You should be good for a while yet wink
Well done thumbsup

golddiggerart
07 October 2018 02:00 pm

Well done on persisting with finding the Mother Inlaws pendant. smile Maybe she'll bake you a cake thumbsup

Never give up on your dreams.... They are all worthy of your focus.....

2 users like this post: Mackka, Guessologist

LonelySilver
07 October 2018 03:52 pm

Nice finds!

My oldest find is a 1736 - 1795 chinease coin.
X terra 305, AT Pro, Pro pointer and lesche diggers.

Guessologist
10 October 2018 08:57 am

Nothing super interesting this time, spent a bit of time deliberately taking out beaver tail pull tabs from the old's lawn so I can hone in on weaker signals a little better in the future. A little time chasing very weak repeatable signals got me a couple more silvers and a .303 bullet ... I'm having to use the Go Find for these although I suspect it's not too sensitive to these little guys, the GMT is too far the other way and sounds off on every small bit of foil almost the same (sometimes the iron ID will read out at about 20% on the first swing, dropping to minimum on the second, almost always foil in this case).

1539121779_pence.jpg

Last edited by Guessologist (10 October 2018 08:58 am)

10 users like this post: Smoky bandit, 7.62marksman, goody2shoes, numpty, ctxkid, Rockhound, Danny13, caparobertsan, GreenRiver, TTKooAu

Smoky bandit
10 October 2018 09:04 am

They must have been new when dropped. Very nice find. thumbsup

No pain No gain..

2 users like this post: Guessologist, Heatho

Guessologist
13 October 2018 02:52 pm

A few interesting things today, had half an hours reccy swing over a part of a permission that I hadn't covered yet which has been previously giving up 1890's to WW1 era junk for the most part. Dug my second token, a Parkers penny within 5 minutes which was a welcome change to yesterdays effort of 3 hours for nothing of interest at all (in a different spot). I knew there must be older stuff here, there's structures recorded in the vicinity on 1864 maps. The good relics are down pretty deep so it's going to be a challenge to lock onto stuff (go find will probably be kind of poxy going forward, GMT is probably too high frequency to do well at depth?), but thankfully it's a light loamy soil so not too much work to get down to them.

Looks like I got the facade off some kind of clockwork a pocket watch backing (looking too close to see the big picture!), "Made in USA". Has faint almost illegible initials scratched into the back, WP , what looks like a signature and R(or K?)R. Brass rings, buckles and rivets as always, a handle off a broken pair of super old iron scissors?, a decorative piece of gilt copper and an oil lamp burner, Holmes Booth & Haydens on the thumb wheel, "Patented Sept.16.186(cut off, internet reckons 2) around the wick area.

I think the token should be salvageable, it hasn't grown that much, the patina has incorporated a bunch of organic crud though and probably needs to be stripped right back to look any good.

1539402710_bits.jpg

1539402724_bits2.jpg

1539402738_bits3.jpg

1539402750_bits4.jpg

Last edited by Guessologist (13 October 2018 03:26 pm)

11 users like this post: 7.62marksman, Mackka, Smoky bandit, Goldpick, Sandta, numpty, goody2shoes, Heatho, Rockhound, Danny13, TTKooAu

Goldpick
13 October 2018 06:51 pm

The token looks to be a good contender for a clean up with Andre's crayons, should remove most of that gunk whilst retaining the original patina, nice find. thumbsup

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, XP MI-6, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

Guessologist
14 October 2018 08:14 am

Goldpick wrote:

The token looks to be a good contender for a clean up with Andre's crayons, should remove most of that gunk whilst retaining the original patina, nice find. thumbsup

Cheers, I was kind of hoping that it was one of the older bronze pennies when it came out of the hole since they seem to last better in the ground and are more durable when cleaning up. I thought about using the Andre's crayons on it but I didn't get great results on the Holloway token I found earlier, the patina was super fragile (tried to be careful) and flaked off in some obvious areas so I kind of had to take it right back to get it looking OK again. The tokens still seem to hold up better than roo pennies under the crayons! For now, I used a combination of just rubbing it with my fingers and a pencil eraser and I'm pretty happy with the results, although I usually can't leave good enough alone and will probably give the crayons a whirl when I forget why I left it like it is. I'm not sure if this is the case for others but I found that the eraser didn't work well on the dirt by itself, but getting finger grease on the crud first by rubbing enabled the eraser to take it straight off, and gently as well.

1539465195_parker1.jpg

1539465211_parker2comparison.jpg

Had a crack at tracing out the writing on the back of the watch as well, I'll have to go digging on Trove to see if I can find some contemporary names that might fit the initials...

1539465244_watch.jpg

6 users like this post: goody2shoes, numpty, Heatho, 7.62marksman, Rockhound, caparobertsan

Guessologist
15 October 2018 12:57 pm

Lunch break silver:

1539568332_3.jpg

Learned a lesson in chemistry too, I've been using the galvanic method to clean my silvers and didn't have bicarb on hand right this second, so stupid me decided that salt is an excellent electrolyte! Forgot there was a reason I went to trouble of getting the bicarb in the first place... The back of the coin went from as good as the front to semi-toasted in about thirty seconds. Oops!

6 users like this post: Heatho, goody2shoes, 7.62marksman, numpty, ctxkid, Rockhound

Guessologist
17 October 2018 03:22 pm

Lunch break copper, my second oldest true penny so far:

1539750152_penny1.jpg

1539750168_penny2.jpg

It was a pretty dodgy signal being masked by iron but I'm glad I persevered. Got a contemporary belt buckle in more or less the same hole, needs a decent clean before it's worth a picture.

10 users like this post: roy cobb, numpty, Wally69, ctxkid, Dave79, Heatho, 7.62marksman, Goldpick, Mackka, Rockhound

Guessologist
24 October 2018 03:55 pm

Back to the same site again to really work over where the penny came from, jagged a Holloway's half-penny token straight away, got the set now! I started chasing a fairly solid signal that was giving me a nice tone one way, and iron if I swung at right angles to it. The ink bottle and two buttons came out of the foot-deep hole that I ended up digging in baked clay with just a plastic trowel and screw driver. The signal was still there when I gave up, and I gave the bottom of the hole a good probe before I filled it in and didn't hit anything, I guess whatever it is won't be going anywhere in a hurry anyway...

1540356843_capture.jpg

Last edited by Guessologist (24 October 2018 03:57 pm)

14 users like this post: goody2shoes, numpty, Dave79, junkdog, Smoky bandit, 7.62marksman, ktmman, Goldpick, Mackka, Sandta, Rockhound, Heatho, caparobertsan, Detectist

junkdog
25 October 2018 09:04 am

Dave79 wrote:

Awesome. I was wondering what they were. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 165347.jpg That token is pretty special!

Did you find out what they were... if not , I think they are out of a mouth organ...

Small and Lite. Xpointer pro,, walbanker , river sluice .partridge in a pear tree..

junkdog
25 October 2018 09:09 am

I want to do some coin shooting what would be a start up rig. thinking of a go find 66 or 44 .

Small and Lite. Xpointer pro,, walbanker , river sluice .partridge in a pear tree..

Smoky bandit
25 October 2018 10:03 am

You've had some nice finds lately... Congrats. thumbsup thumbsup

No pain No gain..

Guessologist
25 October 2018 11:49 am

Smoky bandit wrote:

You've had some nice finds lately... Congrats. thumbsup thumbsup

Cheers, I don't really get solid chunks of time to go detecting at the moment but I'm lucky to work pretty much adjacent a lot of crown land with old and apparently undetected sites. Half an hour after work here, a lunch break there...

junkdog wrote:

I want to do some coin shooting what would be a start up rig. thinking of a go find 66 or 44 .

I can only talk from my own experience but I found the 40 to be the best bang for buck, I only ever run it at the first level of discrimination to reject obvious iron so the 60's extra features don't mean a lot to me (still haven't used one so I don't know what I'm missing out on). I found mine on Ebay from the USA, about $230 after discount codes and actually packaged with the extras that usually only come with the 60, tough to pass up at that price.

I've flogged it to hell and it's falling apart after a lot of abuse, but it's still my scouting detector. I'll usually go into an area first with it, and then jump in with the GMT when I think I'm reaching the limits of what the Go Find can do within my skill level. GMT's iron discrimination sucks compared to a proper relic detector though so it's often a frustrating experience. I'm running into iron masking issues now at the site where these tokens are coming out of, hanging out for an Equinox now to refresh my worked over sites and make winkling the hard targets out a little easier!

1 user likes this post: Smoky bandit

Guessologist
25 October 2018 01:53 pm

Is this a pocket watch winder key? No wheels today, in for a service so a quick swing in the scrub next to the work car park only, wasn't expecting anything at all.
1540435951_ingram.jpg

9 users like this post: Smoky bandit, goody2shoes, Wishfull, Goldpick, Dave79, Mackka, Sandta, Rockhound, 7.62marksman

Guessologist
27 October 2018 10:05 am

Productive day yesterday with some more structured detecting than my usual spaz attacks, 4 coins yesterday but hard won at the rate of about 1 an hour...

1540594633_4.jpg

An 1854 and a beaut 1840s worn penny, the last digit has worn entirely off but the shape of the very slightest raised bump and looking at the mintage figures points me towards 1841, my second oldest coin so far.
1883 and 1863 half pennies, 1883 was a surprise as it's two decades later than most of the coins that have been coming out of here, although it was shallow and my digging has been hinting at a possible second time period of occupation, it's almost real archaeology!

The 1863 is my new favourite find, it's pretty old, hardly worn, not that cooked and it's just riddled with die cracks. You can see one coming off Britannia's knees in the main photograph, and the portrait side has at least three, although you can really only see the one through the G in the photo below. There's one through the R in Victoria and also near the text on the shoulder. Surely silvers are next...

1540595136_4a.jpg

Last edited by Guessologist (27 October 2018 10:11 am)

13 users like this post: Dave79, goody2shoes, numpty, Goldpick, Mackka, Rockhound, aussiefarmer, Detectist, Heatho, Sandta, 7.62marksman, ktmman, caparobertsan

Goldpick
27 October 2018 05:58 pm

Pulling out some great Victorian coins and relics from your spot, those coins are in great condition. Hoping that you will strike it lucky on some silvers, have found that some Victorian locations can be a bit scant on silvers in the past despite plenty of coppers. Who knows, you might eventually dip into William/George era coins. thumbsup

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, XP MI-6, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

Guessologist
27 October 2018 09:24 pm

^^ They are definitely out there, the second coin I ever found in this part of the world (and with a detector ever) was a bullhead shilling, just kicking around in the leaf litter! The first was about 5 minutes earlier, a pretty trashed 20's penny that I sacrificed to science and boiled in red bull to in the microwave to clean it up! It certainly worked, that coin is ugly as hell now though. I'll post a picture of the shilling tomorrow as it looks much better than it did when I first found it, gave it the spit and foil treatment which I stopped half way as the silver sulphide was pushed into the low points of the very worn coin and highlighted what little detail was left. That area has never given up any relics or coins since, except for foil caps which I assume are milk bottle tops.

edit: while I was thinking about cleaning coins, I've found that the carbon cathode out of the old zinc carbon batteries that litter public land literally everywhere make great electrodes for electrolysis cleaning of your finds. As far as I know a carbon electrode is desirable as it has no chance of plating metal onto the object you're trying to clean. No one reading this in this part of the forum is going to care too much but someone might find it using the search function.

Disappointing afternoon today, I think this site has given as much as a Go Find can take for now. All my finds were outboard of the 'hot zone' of signals this time, trying to work up good signals put of the iron in the area I detected yesterday just gave me nails. Highlights below include an interesting copper brooch, a bakelite cigar holder and an 1861 half penny that was mostly worn flat. I took an action shot of the half penny after I found it with the screwdriver. The ground was hard as concrete and all my progress was with screwdriver levering a centimeter at a time, and my pinpointing was way off. I felt the gouging of it in my stomach! Thankfully it was pretty much worn flat but it did ruin the nice patina on the other side.

1540635484_inthehole.jpg

1540635539_hearts.jpg

Not to worry, still got another couple of permissions to work over!

Last edited by Guessologist (27 October 2018 09:44 pm)

9 users like this post: 7.62marksman, Danny13, Dave79, goody2shoes, numpty, Sandta, ktmman, Goldpick, caparobertsan

Guessologist
28 October 2018 08:30 am

^ yesterdays coin was a full penny, I'm spoiled digging the big chunky ones lately and didn't have anything on me to compare to...

Forgot about this one yesterday, checked out a new area that might come good(er), found this decorative piece about 2" across that I accidentally ripped one side off while digging. Not sure what it's made of, not heavy enough for lead (looks similar, hasn't held up well in the ground), and the plating appears to be silver. Gave it a rub with some foil and it gave a faint sulphur smell, and looks distinct to the nickel plated stuff I've found.

1540675753_silver.jpg

And the shilling I found earlier in the year that I was talking about, the other side is worn completely flat:

1540675770_shilling.jpg

Last edited by Guessologist (28 October 2018 08:37 am)

9 users like this post: Sandta, 7.62marksman, goody2shoes, Dave79, Goldpick, numpty, caparobertsan, Detectist, TTKooAu

Goldpick
28 October 2018 08:56 pm

Your shilling looks a lot like most of the Georgian coins I've found around here, nearly dead flat aside from a rough outline of the bust.

Nothing worst than knowing you have already scratched a coin before pulling it from the ground, you get that on the big jobs. wink

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site