A Few Of Guessologists Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you reckon it's a worn badge? Its curved heavily with four holes as if it was a brand attached to a wooden handle of a tool by my reckoning. I figured that since Kaighin was a Bright local, it was borrowing the name of Mount Buffalo just next door.

Just snagged my oldest threepence after trying the nox out in Field 1, 5 tones, F2-1 and max sensitivity in really loamy soil. Sounded a bit bigger than it was, I expected a half penny to pop out.

1580868508_rev.jpg

1580868521_obv.jpg

Guessologist said:
Do you reckon it's a worn badge? Its curved heavily with four holes as if it was a brand attached to a wooden handle of a tool by my reckoning. I figured that since Kaighin was a Bright local, it was borrowing the name of Mount Buffalo just next door.

Probably not worn as you surmise. Since Mt Buffalo was nearby perhaps a local carter?

I've come across "The Buffs" in many places (and drunk at some of them) so I thought it may have been a local chapter although the image is a bit different to what you have found.

Anyway, a great conversation piece.

May I suggest that the Buffalo item is the branding head badge on the front of a bicycle? Similar to these .
1580907021_bc73cf61-e91a-458d-be1e-978331de60cb.jpg

Ok,after a little research,T C Kaighin was the President of Bright Local Council and also was elected the Captain of The Bright Cycle Club according to this article from Trove on the 23 September 1899.
1580908477_66fcd611-76a2-430f-b2b0-9545110a6986.jpg

Oh nice! I reckon that's the right thread. When I first dug it I did immediately think of a bike badge, figured it would be an old Malvern Star or something but when I cleaned it off and read it I went way down a different track....

Not many finds lately, got access to a big paddock lately and snagged the 1854 and 1918 threepences, and the 1901 penny. Not huge target density unfortunately and they are pretty deep since it's an area that gets silted over occasionally by the creek that runs through it. The shield is probably off some old horse tack, and the 1916 penny was just a rando in the bush.

1582077729_capture.jpg

And this little belt centerpiece guy came from my favourite old early 1860s slab hut site where I pulled a bunch of tokens out of, pretty rare to latch onto a good target there these days. Looks a bit more like a soldier than a cricketer?

1582077998_capture_2.jpg

Yeah it's hard to keep perspective some days! I'm at the point where it takes me a pre-Federation find just to get me to normal in this addiction. I think I'm through the honeymoon period where the easy finds fly out of the ground and have to work for them now. I reckon that I'm averaging about one 'good' find per about 2-3 hours of detecting now, and have to get a bit creative in how I tackle sites to keep them coming. A family friend just bought an old property going back to the 1890s that is begging for detecting though, I'll have to hit it up to get a new sugar rush soon!

I know what you mean re finding pre-federation items, though being thin on the ground makes finding them even more worthwhile and satisfying - something that I accept tat won't happen every outing. I do like your little cricketer, usually it's the buckle missing the little fella. :Y:

After saying that, I went back to my old Police station site, which had gone pretty dead on me, with a plan for hunting relics: Nox 600 to Field 1, F1 and sensitivity very low at 5. Oh man that paid off, I quickly settled on a 2x2m patch that often falsed a lot for me before and dug anything that even looked half like a non-ferrous signal. The first hole, which gave something like an inconsistent 14 ID had all this in it:

1582170477_spoons.jpg

And the spoons did not stop coming, this was the result after about half an hour on this little patch:

1582170525_spoons2.jpg

There's silver plated spoons (all same hallmark, will take some work to read), round lead shot, an agate cab, a fob watch bar, buttons, a tiny thumbwheel (PATENT MAY 18(5?)4 ???? MERIDEN CT), slate pencils, one of many big square nails, some other random things and two half pennies.

1582170767_spoons3.jpg

1862 and 1884. At no point did the detector sound like it had a clean signal on a coin! My favourite thing has to be the slate pencils though. All this was with the 11" coil too, I gotta try out the 6" with this program here, I thought I had slammed it hard before...

Not as many items with the 6" this time, mainly buttons and a wierd sphere which turned out to be an extremely distressed marble. However, I finally found some police paraphernalia at the old police station! That far left button has a crown on it and says POLICE FORCE VICTORIA, reverse says EXTRA SUPERFINE. This site hasn't been an actual police station for at least a century.

1582254617_buttons.jpg

Cheers, I reckon it was just about as much fun as you can have with a detector in 10 minutes save for maybe digging a big silver. Went back today and got donuts...

Ha! That's how it goes sometimes. It's often when your expectations are at their lowest that you strike something special.

Latest posts