Gold Detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirrors

😎
Reaction score
Ok I'm sure this has been done to death but I'm new so I'll ask again
I'm looking for a gold detector that would suit a person like me with little experience but a quick learner
I'm looking at something around the 3k range
Gold being the main target but old relics and coins another option
I'll be using it in the triangle and surrounding areas
Any advice is most welcome :perfect:

If the area has been hammered before then the sdc2300, if you just want to find gold and have fun but don't expect to retire on it then the sdc2300, if you have really good virgin ground available and hope to find bigger deeper targets then maybe a second hand gpx4500, but honestly you would still be better off starting with an sdc2300 for patch hunting anyway and if there is enough gold then sure get something that will go deeper.

So yeah as Tathradj suggests go the sdc 2300. You will have more fun, find gold more often, have no difficulty learning how to use it and if you decide you don't really like this hobby then if you buy an sdc2300 second hand you can probably sell it a few months later for basically the same price.

Mirrors, the people who are suggesting that the SDC2300 is 'the ducks guts' have never used a QED. I have used and owned GPX, GPZ, and SDC. I now own and use a QED which is the machine that I find is superior in what I want from a metal detector. No detector is perfect, however the light weight, balance, signal response, and penetration make it an excellent prospecting tool. Unlike the SDC you are not limited in coil size as any ML compatible mono coil will function on a QED.
I feel qualified in making such a judgement as I have been detecting since 1979 and have been a tester for the dominant detector manufacturer, Minelab.

ok thanks
I'll be going over land that old prospectors did but not so much done to death in our current environment.
I'm pretty sure the old guys didn't have detectors
I'm open to more advice and I will investigate the qed further
I doubt I'll be going over ground which has seen a lot of traffic in the past 20 years

Matt80 said:
If the area has been hammered before then the sdc2300, if you just want to find gold and have fun but don't expect to retire on it then the sdc2300, if you have really good virgin ground available and hope to find bigger deeper targets then maybe a second hand gpx4500, but honestly you would still be better off starting with an sdc2300 for patch hunting anyway and if there is enough gold then sure get something that will go deeper.

So yeah as Tathradj suggests go the sdc 2300. You will have more fun, find gold more often, have no difficulty learning how to use it and if you decide you don't really like this hobby then if you buy an sdc2300 second hand you can probably sell it a few months later for basically the same price.

I'm addicted lol

Reg Wilson said:
I feel qualified in making such a judgement as I have been detecting since 1979 and have been a tester for the dominant detector manufacturer, Minelab.
My only question, with respect Reg, is what would the learning curve be like for someone new to detectors on the QED? I know you have years of experience but from what I've seen with my mate currently learning the QED it would take a lot longer get your head around as a new person to detecting than the SCD and GPX, but I may be wrong.

P.S. just trying to get a perspective of learning times for machines, not start a debate :8

Northeast said:
Prospector Pete - that's also a fair question. How much time a person wants to/can spend on learning a machine is a definite consideration :Y:

I know when I bought my 4500 last November that I picked up so much info (good and bad) from youtube video's and forums on settings, do's and don't etc that it really gave me confidence before I'd even switched it on the first time. SDC is the same with so much info readily available but not so sure with the relatively new QED?

All good machines and all gold finders so anyone willing to put the time in on any 3 detectors will do well.

There are a number of QED videos now available, and no, the QED is not difficult to get your head around. There are actually less setting combinations than either GPX or GPZ. The SDC is a simpler machine to use but has its limitations as has been demonstrated on a comparison video. The SDC is not very well balanced, and there are a number of them in the field with the coil held on with gaffer tape. The headphone setup also leads a lot to be desired, plus they weigh more than a QED.

Mirrors just remember that in general the sdc isnt made for deeper gold. Sure itll find some but the main bread and butter is shallow small bits . Which means you have to be searching in the right places( which is true for any gold but)To tell the truth my sdc has found me plenty, but so has my gpx. I never really found a gpx to be that big a learning curve. Sure theres a bit to learn and Im no expert but its found me enough to keep me happy. Add some of the new coils and your getting very close to what the sdc can find. Qed could be a good option, as long as you can get some help in learning it. Whatever way you go Im sure therell be plenty of help on here. :goldnugget:

The ergonomics of the QED and the coil selection is certainly a big plus over the SDC. And its cheaper :eek: But the SDC is certainly easy and it does find gold!

And I see you are in Melbourne Mirrors. IF you were to get a QED (or a GPX model or a GPZ) there is a bloke called Reg near Maldon who does detector and prospecting training. Its not the worst couple of hundred dollars you'll spend is it Reg Wilson ;) :trophy:

Thanks guys, and yes I think I may be of some help regardless of the detector that you decide upon. Some of my best finds over the years could have been found with the simplest of detectors, due to the fact that I was in the right place, and this, and getting the best out of your detector is what I endeavor to pass on. There are many good detectors on the market, and when passed over the target will find what you seek. I guess it is a case of 'different strokes for different folks'.

SDC are a good detector no discriminator so not much for relic hunting ,for $3000 I think a late used 4500 covers a that you are looking to do regards john :)

Will be testing a QED with one of your close mates this weekend Reg. :)
Hint, He lives not far from here. :cool:

Reg Wilson said:
Thanks guys, and yes I think I may be of some help regardless of the detector that you decide upon. Some of my best finds over the years could have been found with the simplest of detectors, due to the fact that I was in the right place, and this, and getting the best out of your detector is what I endeavor to pass on. There are many good detectors on the market, and when passed over the target will find what you seek. I guess it is a case of 'different strokes for different folks'.

Latest posts