Grabben Gullen - circa 1980's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiron52

Dave
Reaction score
These pics were taken in the area near the bridge at GG sometime in the 1980's.
I think the old tree in the first pic is still standing at the camping area near the bridge.
Sorry for the quality - they are scans of photos taken before there were digital cameras.

1534927206_untitled-scanned-70.jpg

1534927224_untitled-scanned-59.jpg

1534927242_untitled-scanned-64.jpg

It's not all that far from Canberra is it?

Got a couple of nephews in Canberra but I think the only prospecting they are interested in is "Minecraft Online" :)

Nor diggers - what is it with these ypung people who won't get their hands dirty these days? :lol:

You will need to plan a trip to get all three spots a go over Lefty, GG and PR are only 100km apart and then a stones throw to SB, and while you are there, a couple more throws and you can have a scratch for some Oberon Smokey Quartz.

Of course being inland a bit, you will have to go home through Hill End, Nundle and Glen Innes :party: :rainbow: :party:

Amazing photos! I will be heading over from Canada and then driving up there with a pan and screen around Oct 23rd, any hints or anyone want to show a Canadian fellow around the Grabben Gullen?

Haven't been to GG for a couple of years now.
Question -
Is access still allowed through the farm near the bridge at Grabben Gullen?
If so, what are they charging fossickers these days?

Hi All
Done Saphireing with my uncle in the 60's at GG. Found plenty. Then I heard a mining company moved in and it was out of bounds. Don't know the current status as that was in the early 70's. Would like to find out though.

Upside said:
HX Premier?

Had AM and FM radio! Lucky bastid!

My mates Kingswood. It was his pride and joy. :inlove:
The front of it got mangled up by a kangaroo just west of Cobar on our way back from a trip to White Cliffs. 8.(
We'd made the mistake of leaving WC to drive back to Wollongong just after dark one evening.
Should have waited till morning. Bloody 'roos were everywhere.
But we'd made a snap decision to race home, grab some other gear and go to Oberon fossicking.

Chiron52 said:
Upside said:
HX Premier?

The front of it got mangled up by a kangaroo just west of Cobar on our way back from a trip to White Cliffs. 8.(
We'd made the mistake of leaving WC to drive back to Wollongong just after dark one evening.
But we'd made a snap decision to race home, grab some other gear and go to Oberon fossicking.

Sunrise, sunset and night time. Nothing but trouble those times.

Upside said:
Chiron52 said:
Upside said:
HX Premier?

Have to agree with that comment. I never travel at sunrise,sunset or night unless I really have to.

pete165 said:
Upside said:
Chiron52 said:
Upside said:
HX Premier?

Have to agree with that comment. I never travel at sunrise,sunset or night unless I really have to.

Definately try to avoid those times if possible - that's Roo O'Clock.

Last time we headed out to the claim before we cancelled it, we got delayed and ended up driving for a couple of hours at night. It had been dry for a while and the only short green grass was on the edge of the bitumen road - there was an incredible number of roos and wallabies and we did well not to hit any.

Latest posts