Sluice build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Going to build myself a sluice from material I have sitting around and try to keep the cost to zero.
Sluice channel will more than likely be timber as I don't have a break to fold up a metal one.
Thinking 8-10" but undecided on length, thinking a slick plate area followed by rubber matting. (Did see a post about making something similar from plastic coreflute so will probably try it.)
Angle iron riffles, I do have some 3/4 angle, if I hunt around I might be able to find some 1/2". Undecided on the number or spacing, most seem to recommend somewhere between 1.5 and 3 x the height as the spacing distance.
Miners moss, I have some marine carpet that look similar, thinking I will run this after the riffles.

That's about it at this stage feel free to fire ideas at me.

Have you thought about using plastic ? I made the white classifier thing out of a couple of waste pieces of pvcu pipe. The black plastic thing was made from a bought sheet of abs. All you need is a hair dryer ( heat gun better ) wood saw, drill and lots of patience.
1534906179_f6437508-f73b-4897-9bdf-86308ea811f2.jpg

1534906179_b7cead1f-3d2f-4cc2-bf74-47be446ade0c.jpg
wood is a great material too. If you have a router I think you could make a very solid and effective wooden sluice box. No reason why your iron riffle idea won't work. Conflute might wear out but I suppose it would be cheap to replace. Cant wait to see what you come up with :Y:

Dont suppose youre in Cairns area. I have some stainless steel that was an old fuel tank. I cut it up and used half my my sluice, have no use for the other half. About 8inch wide by 3 foot long...

Thanks for the offer Stru very generous but I'm about 2500km south.

Hadn't thought about plastic but trying to keep this build to labour only and use what I have sitting around. No doubt I will want to change things on my first try and the less I spend working out what does and doesn't work for me the more I can spend on subsequent builds.

Hey goldfreak what is abs? I like your black sluice . Ive wanted to build something similar but no idea what material to use

ABS stands acrylonitrile butadien styrene. It's the sort of plastic they make bumpers and some drop riffle sluices out of. I bought mine at a plastics fabrication business. Forgot to mention for the OP if you use pvc pipe ( can usually get for free ) make sure it's not the stuff that's that's foamed in the middle and use the solid all the way through stuff.

Latest posts