aptX v aptX low latency wireless options (Equinox 600 owners)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasko

Matt
Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some info for those confused at the different aptX options out there &/or wanting to get the lowest possible delay (latency) option currently available for Bluetooth.

Just because a product has the aptX logo on it doesn't mean you are getting low latency. You need to be aware of the 2 x different aptX systems & the logos used as per below. As I've said before the standard aptX may be just fine for some people & is a quality codec but others may prefer the lowest latency option or in the case of Equinox owners want to utilise the aptX Low Latency feature on their detectors.
Another Bluetooth standard that some people find to be ok for them is EDR (Enhanced Data Rate). Nominally latency (delay) will still be around ~100ms though.

I've seen on some other forums where Equinox users had purchased headphones/earbuds with the aptX logo thinking they would pair with the Equinox in low latency mode but they didn't (paired in standard Bluetooth mode). You need to get products that display the aptX Low Latency CSR logo as per below to be able to utilise this feature of the Equinox.

Products with standard aptX will have this logo:
1534812079_entry_323_th_aptx.jpg

"The standard aptX audio technology enables CD quality audio over Bluetooth." It works with transmission speeds <130ms. Nominally most standard Bluetooth systems are ~100ms.

If you are after the lowest latency (delay) in Bluetooth products i.e. with aptX Low Latency look for this logo:
1534812125_images.jpg

"Qualcomm aptX Low Latency audio ensures your Bluetooth wireless enabled device can deliver sound in sync with visual media.A delay of less that 40ms canbe achieved."
Some aptX Low Latency products claim a delay as low as ~32ms. Pretty damn good for Bluetooth which inherently has had issues with delay in the past!

I have tried/tested ArchMage Soundclean-09 wireless headphones & these are aptX low latency & pair with the Equinox in low latency mode. :Y:

Of course there are other proprietary RF wireless systems (non Bluetooth) available that claim delays of less than 32ms. These can cost in the hundreds of dollars I.e. Minelab Prosonic, Garrett Z Link etc.

Thanks for the informative post explaining the differences Matt, I've been looking for your original post on them but now realise why I couldn't find it.
I'm looking into buying a pair for my Nox 600 so the above info is very much appreciated :Y:

double all the above, if i had have bought for my 800 and it had lag, i would have been pissed.
i really didnt have a clue till this post, thanks mbasco :cool:

I had Avantree Aptx headphones on my 600 and I didn't really notice any lag except when doing the wiggle to centre a target. During normal swinging there was no lag unless swinging very quickly. The Low latency version of these headphones were $100 more, or exactly the same price as the Minelab ones that come standard with the 800.

Using the Minelab low latency headphones now on my 800, I feel both are equally as comfortable, and of very nice quality, but for working the surf line I think running the wireless module and plugging in some Sunray/Recon-ST type muff headphones will do a much better job of blocking out the wind/surf noise.

spoon said:
double all the above, if i had have bought for my 800 and it had lag, i would have been pissed.
i really didnt have a clue till this post, thanks mbasco :cool:
are you going to notice 60ms :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PhaseTech said:
I had Avantree Aptx headphones on my 600 and I didn't really notice any lag except when doing the wiggle to centre a target. During normal swinging there was no lag unless swinging very quickly. The Low latency version of these headphones were $100 more, or exactly the same price as the Minelab ones that come standard with the 800.

Using the Minelab low latency headphones now on my 800, I feel both are equally as comfortable, and of very nice quality, but for working the surf line I think running the wireless module and plugging in some Sunray/Recon-ST type muff headphones will do a much better job of blocking out the wind/surf noise.

Yeah like I've said many times (starting to sound like a broken record) some people won't notice latency, especially detecting, even up to 150ms. Others will & can be more sensitive to it!
The fact is the majority of people can detect a noticeable latency unless it is less than 40-60ms. So yes a 60ms difference can matter depending on how susceptible you are to it I.e. some can tolerate noticeable latency & others can't.
Way out of the specs required for detecting but an example of how sensitive some people can be to latency is musicians. Playing instruments with wireless devices can require a latency of less than 10ms & some say they require 6ms or less. Vocalists report that latency of 0-2ms can be acceptable but a lot require none at all & for this reason remain wired. Sound monitoring applications can be equally as demanding & require very low latencies <10ms. Gamers aim for products under 20ms.
I don't think it is unreasonable at today's cheaper prices for a detectorist to want something at least in the 40-60ms range! :Y:

I've been using Avantree products for years Nenad. Mainly their tx/rx units & when I first got them their was no Australian supplier so I've always purchased direct from them.
The Avantree Audition headphones (aptX) are $59.99USD & the Avantree Audition Pro headphones (aptX low latency) are $89.99USD with free delivery on there.
I've seen the Minelab low latency headphones for $139USD which would put them at over $200AUD here? Couldn't find a dealer in Australia that had them when looking either?
That was one reason I put up a thread (now removed) about aptX low latency headphones for the Equinox. There are a number of cheaper aptX low latency options out there that are quite good for anyone wanting to ensure that they get minimal latency in these products & can utilise that feature on the Equinox.
Personally after trying numerous Bluetooth systems (& other systems) over several years I wouldn't get anything less than Bluetooth aptX low latency systems. That's just my opinion & preference. Others can use whatever they find acceptable.
I agree that using my Prosonic with Seinheisser headphones gives me more noise attenuation but when wanting a quick, light, completely wire free set up on the Equinox then using the ArchMage headphones is the go (at less than half the price of the Minelab ML80's).

Off topic a bit but being an early adopter to bluetooth mbasko have you tried any BT external speakers,this seems to sound pretty good setup off my 45 and sdc just at home at the moment,has a 3 watt driver i think so more or less a BT speaker and booster all in one in some reguards,will get the boss to try it out bush on the sdc next week,just a tad bigger then a normal external speaker,just fitted a clip to the back of it......

avantree sp-950

1534904624_07ba1d79-0098-407b-b240-5d3a6cb1fd8c.jpg

1534904625_f909b38a-f400-4db2-9922-ef52dd9316e0.jpg

ArchMage headphones

Are these available in Australia or only overseas

Cant seem to find where to purchase

Thanks for the thread most informative

Mr T said:
ArchMage headphones

MrT, out of curiosity I just dialled them into eBay (& Google). Doesn't appear to be any resellers in AU, but they are available thru an eBay seller out of the USA
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ArchMag...618509?hash=item41eae2fc4d:g:8MMAAOSwJ89bNuCW
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Archmag...534148?hash=item54614aa2c4:g:R7wAAOSwsWlba1NC

Goldchaser1 said:
Off topic a bit but being an early adopter to bluetooth mbasko have you tried any BT external speakers,this seems to sound pretty good setup off my 45 and sdc just at home at the moment,has a 3 watt driver i think so more or less a BT speaker and booster all in one in some reguards,will get the boss to try it out bush on the sdc next week,just a tad bigger then a normal external speaker,just fitted a clip to the back of it......

avantree sp-950

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...4624_07ba1d79-0098-407b-b240-5d3a6cb1fd8c.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...4625_f909b38a-f400-4db2-9922-ef52dd9316e0.jpg
Haven't tried any as I already had booster/speaker set ups so just used the Bluetooth transmitters/receivers to connect to what I was using.
Had seen those on Avantree & nearly got one to try on the QED but as the Bluetooth set ups weren't too successful didn't go ahead with it. I had asked Avantree about doing them in low latency but got a standard type "we are always developing new products" reply but notice they do now have a larger laptop speaker in low latency available so they might just do it.
Being waterproof plus having some volume control on them is great for detecting use & the size looks good in comparison to the GME speaker :Y: Worth a try

Mr T said:
ArchMage headphones

I got mine on Amazon.com.au but they did come from an overseas supplier. Took about 12 days to arrive. They are now saying they are currently unavailable on there.
They've been getting good reviews in the US which you probably seen when searching.
I can't find any other Australian seller or supplier of them sorry.
There are some other low latency headphones/earbuds on Amazon Australia but without having used them I couldn't recommend any. If you can find good info on any they could be worth a go?

Many thanks mbasko

Will check them out on amazon au
Every where seems to be sold out

Yes seen good reviews on US website so they will
Be disappearing real quick both the miccus and archmage
Cheers