My 705 just broke++Tragedy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Just swinging away with the 705, the coil came away from where it's attached to the handle. The little black notchy things (where the plastic bolt goes through) have snapped.
Is the only option to buy another coil? I bought this second hand so it's not under warranty.
I couldn't find the pieces that broke off, maybe they could have been glued back on. I'm annoyed by this. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Angela
I'm trying to resize a pic to post,

I had a similar problem once, contacted a Minelab rep. he was very kind, send me the prise of a new coil.

Do not despair a broken coil lug is easily fixable, I've done heaps of them.

Thanks Nesral
1534720686_detect1.jpg

You can use superglue and baking soda to repair the parts - look up on You Tube otherwise the glue pens with ultraviolet light will work.

regards

Thanks Ned, but couldn't find the parts, didn't notice anything till the shaft had separated from the coil.
Have a Double D that came in the Gold Pack but find pinpointing with the concentric much easier.

What size coil is it. Ask around the forum. I'm sure that there are members that have upgraded to better coils and have the original as a spare. Maybe a new coil would enhance the 705's performance.

Manpa said:
Hi green river, Google plastic right angle brackets, you may find something which you can glue to the coil plate and what remains of the brackets on both sides and fashion a new hinge point.
Cheers
Here's a repair similar to what Manpa is suggesting using some PVC found in a hardware:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/1053-705-coil-ear-repair-link-to-my-diy/
Maybe you or someone you know can have a go at doing this rather than buy a whole new coil?

Another option if you can find a "U" bracket or some U shaped PVC that is the right size I.e. distance between ears & enough height then you could remove the broken ears altogether & attach the U piece as a whole replacement. If you Google "replacement detector coil ears" you'll see what I mean.

looks like a design fault to me if this happens to these coils,.... are you familiar with fibreglass, the lobes can be rebuilt with added side wings for strength , i would glass the whole surface but you need some fibreglassing skills, like green trimming with a sharp knife before the glass hardens,,, just my thoughts.

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
looks like a design fault to me if this happens to these coils,....

Some may have a fracture at time of manufacture, but many get broken via misuse and or people not putting in the washers or using incorrect end pieces in their shafts.

Had a new user the other day with a NOX800, no rubber washers and the ears were bent and crushed inwards, and they were complaining that they could not tighten the coil and it would just flop about. A couple of days use and they would have snapped off for sure...

I think just about every manufacturer has had the coil ears break at some stage, but other than misuse I have not experienced / observed any that just fail. That being said, I have had to epoxy rebuild a few that have been damaged and the users have given the coils a hard time. Especially those used in the water as a lot more side force is applied to the ears.

Latest posts