difrent size coils what is the advantage ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi
just wanting to learn about different size coils what the advantage is and what size is best ?

Here's an example that comes to my mind.

My xterra 705 came with a 7x5 inch coil. Relatively small but according to minelab this is the gold searching coil. Now I'm in a park only looking for coins...not bush looking for gold.

Imo the xterra isn't a real gold detector...but thats irrelevant. I didn't purchase it as a gold detector anyway.

So I went and purchased a 15 inch coil.

Boom. My ground coverage went from 7x5 , to 15x15.

Times that extra coverage by say a 5 hour hunt.

My example is probably in lamens terms. Mono vs DD etc , but I've done a heck of a lot better with that 15 inch coil then I ever did with the 7x5. :Y:

There really is no best size, it all depends on the ground your hunting on, some places are shallow and very rocky or lots of scrub, there you will want a small coil other places are deep or very open ground where you may want a large coil to punch deeper or cover more ground faster, you also have the options of mono or dd mono being more sensitive where dd has the ability to discriminate and also hand emi a little better.
Its best to have a selection of coils if possible or learn the capabilities and limits of the coil you have and pick the coil best suited for your needs.
Hope that helps a bit

In my very limited experience of gold metal detecting, the coil makes the machine!
I have a Whites TDI Oz pro it came with three after market coils a nugget finder 8x6 advantage, a minor John folded 8 11x7 and a longreach 14x9.
Recently I have had a Gpx 4500 with a nugget finder 14x9 advantage coil (advantage = litz wire bundle wound, evolution = litz wire flat or spiral wound) to make comparisons.
The nugget finder coils on the Whites brings the two machines very close, the Gpx on a 0.25gram of lead had a 25mm head start on the Whites, as the targets got bigger the gap got smaller.
The 14x9 nugget finder is a better coil than both the minor John (not as deep) and the longreach (not as sensitive)
I no longer have access to the Gpx and have purchased a nugget finder 12inch evolution and I believe it is better again, that is picking up smaller targets deeper.
Matt T

With the 16 inch coil I feel I am packing a Colt 45. Found a lot more bigger nuggets than with the 10 inch. That was 34 years ago but now you need the smaller coils to pick up the scraps left behind from the previous generation.

Latest posts